Subject: P67 Extreme4 Not Booting After BIOS Update
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 11:26am
Specs:
Windows 10
i7 2600K
P67 Extreme4
MSI Radeon R9 280X
8GB GSkill DDR3 RAM

I updated the BIOS on my P67 Extreme4 to 3.1 because I was having some issues after upgrading to Windows 10 that some forums suggested a BIOS update might fix. I went to Asrock's website and found the latest BIOS update file and followed the instructions exactly. Now Windows 10 will not complete the boot correctly and I keep getting a "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" error from Windows.

I emailed support but I received was a response of

"Unfortunately you update the bios for a CPU (3rd generation ) and your cpu is second generation and the makes your windows to crash."

with no suggestions of how to fix it besides a follow up email from another support account asking me to purchase a new BIOS chip. I consider this unfair because there are zero warnings in Asrock's BIOS update instructions or support page that suggests the ONLY available BIOS update for my board would make it useless for my Sandy Bridge CPU. Also, on tweaktown's support forum it seemed a couple of users got free BIOS chips.

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for a possible fix. If Asrock forces me to pay for the chip I am completely done as customer who purchased Asrock Motherboards for my last two systems. My upcoming CPU upgrade motherboard money will absolutely go to another manufacturer who I would hope provide better support than I've received so far. I apologize if I sound like I'm whining but I've received zero feedback after I emailed support back about the initial email.

Thanks for any help.

Replies:
Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 1:46pm
WARNING: DO NOT try to flash to any other BIOS version for your board in an attempt to fix your problem! If you do you are guaranteed to require a new CMOS/BIOS chip!!

Also remember this: Any time a BIOS update is done, all the BIOS options will be set to their default values. If you use any BIOS options that must be set for your PC to boot, such as the SATA mode set to RAID, or the first drive in the boot order set to the correct drive, until those options are set appropriately, your PC will not function correctly.

It seems you were a victim of the Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge BIOS update, that can be a bit tricky to perform.

Some boards have the complete instructions for this update, but yours seems to be one that does not. The warning about doing this update is displayed when you start a download of the updated Intel IME software, and other programs, that must be installed after this BIOS update.

This is what I'm referring to. The key step is described in 2.:

If you can get into the BIOS on your board, or get the Instant Flash screen to display, you might be able to fix your problem.

All you need to do is perform the 3.10 BIOS update again, but do not remove the USB flash drive until Windows boots completely.

If performing this BIOS update fails again, a new CMOS/BIOS chip is the only fix. I've never heard of anyone performing this BIOS update while using Windows 10, so that may be a factor in your issue.

I cannot authorize a free replacement BIOS chip myself, and I'm not sure what the current ASRock policy is about this situation.

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: tallshortguy
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 5:20am
Thanks for the reply parsec. Unfortunately I tried to do the instant flash with a USB loaded with the 3.1 files downloaded from Asrock's website but instant flash says it can't find an image so it seems I don't have a way to actually update the BIOS. I can get into the BIOS but it seems instant flash won't work correctly for me.

I got a reply back from support refusing me a free BIOS chip so I guess I have no choice but to pay Asrock for their own mistake. I have no idea why they have zero documentation for this issue in the BIOS update myself instead of the IME software meant to be installed afterward. Seems completely backwards to me.

I guess I'll pay for a new BIOS chip and never purchase another Asrock product again, the customer support has been lackluster to say the least. If this was something mentioned in their documentation that I missed then clearly that's my fault but the principle of the matter makes me pretty upset that Asrock is pushing their documentation issues on me.

Thanks again parsec but since instant flash isn't recognizing the BIOS files on my USB drive I don't think your fix will work for me.

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 5:26am
Be sure you have the right BIOS installation type downloaded, there are 3, one for windows, one for command line and one for instant flash. If you have the wrong one it will not be able to detect the file. I would download all 3 to the flash drive and be sure it is formatted to fat 32 or it will be unreadable to the BIOS.

ASRock's tech support is not the best but it isn't anywhere near the worst either. If memory serves the BIOS chip costs US $15. Hopefully the flash will fix your problem though.

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 1:01pm
So sorry, I just noticed that the ONLY 3.10 BIOS update method is the Windows method, that cannot be used with Instant Flash. Confused

When you get into the BIOS, do you see your Windows drive in the boot order list? Is that drive seen in the Storage Configuration screen? If you can't get things in order in the BIOS, try my next suggestion below.

I'm not sure if you have Windows 10 installed now, or your previous OS version. Regardless, try inserting the Windows installation media (disk, USB flash drive), boot from it, and select the Repair option  on the first screen that is displayed. Follow the prompts to hopefully fix whatever corrupted your Windows installation.

-------------

Posted By: IronRinn
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 9:36pm
Made an account just to check in and say I am experiencing the same problem with Windows 10 after updating the bios on my P67 Exreme4 (B3). I upgraded the BIOS because Task Manager was showing 100% CPU usage all the time.

Specs:

P67 Exreme4 (B3)
i5 2500K
MSI GTX970 (x2)
16 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
Windows 10

I can get into the bios and it sees the boot drive but when Windows attempts to load it gives me the same "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" error. And, like tallshortguy, I can't get instant flash to find the BIOS no matter what I use (usb flash drive, external HDD, etc.) This was the free Windows 10 upgrade so I don't have a installation disk, but I believe it does offer a repair option at the troubleshooting screen. Not sure that's going to be enough to fix the issue. I haven't yet gotten around to contacting ASRock. How much are they charging you for the BIOS chip, tallshortguy? I would be interested to know what BIOS version they're giving you on that chip.

This whole thing has been very frustrating.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 12:23am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

So sorry, I just noticed that the ONLY 3.10 BIOS update method is the Windows method, that cannot be used with Instant Flash. Confused

When you get into the BIOS, do you see your Windows drive in the boot order list? Is that drive seen in the Storage Configuration screen? If you can't get things in order in the BIOS, try my next suggestion below.

I'm not sure if you have Windows 10 installed now, or your previous OS version. Regardless, try inserting the Windows installation media (disk, USB flash drive), boot from it, and select the Repair option  on the first screen that is displayed. Follow the prompts to hopefully fix whatever corrupted your Windows installation.

Yeah I couldn't find any other BIOS update files besides the one for windows. I'll try putting windows 10 on a usb stick but the current bootup shows that it tries to do an "automatic repair" which doesn't fix the issue.

I appreciate the reply, I'll see if that maybe does something but I have a feeling windows is not the issue.

Originally posted by IronRinn IronRinn wrote:

Made an account just to check in and say I am experiencing the same problem with Windows 10 after updating the bios on my P67 Exreme4 (B3). I upgraded the BIOS because Task Manager was showing 100% CPU usage all the time.

Specs:

P67 Exreme4 (B3)
i5 2500K
MSI GTX970 (x2)
16 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
Windows 10

I can get into the bios and it sees the boot drive but when Windows attempts to load it gives me the same "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" error. And, like tallshortguy, I can't get instant flash to find the BIOS no matter what I use (usb flash drive, external HDD, etc.) This was the free Windows 10 upgrade so I don't have a installation disk, but I believe it does offer a repair option at the troubleshooting screen. Not sure that's going to be enough to fix the issue. I haven't yet gotten around to contacting ASRock. How much are they charging you for the BIOS chip, tallshortguy? I would be interested to know what BIOS version they're giving you on that chip.

This whole thing has been very frustrating.

Hi IronInn, the 100% CPU usage was also the reason I updated my BIOS as I read the 3.1 update would fix the issue.

The new BIOS chip is $15, really it isn't the amount for why I'm upset as that's a pretty trivial amount. It's the principle of the matter that there doesn't seem to be any actual warnings that this update only works for Ivy Bridge, I don't know how anyone would assume that a BIOS update that only says "includes support for Ivy Bridge" would render Sandy Bridge, the CPU the board was originally designed for, inoperable with the MB.

I would recommend you contact support because the feedback I've gotten is to defend their lack of proper documentation and pin the blame on me. Maybe if they received more complaints it will move them to update the BIOS description so future users don't fall into the same system breaking issues we've encountered.

If Asrock would update their documentation and provide users with free BIOS chips who ran into this issue then that's what I would consider the right thing to do.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 12:43am
Originally posted by tallshortguy tallshortguy wrote:

Hi IronInn, the 100% CPU usage was also the reason I updated my BIOS as I read the 3.1 update would fix the issue.

The new BIOS chip is $15, really it isn't the amount for why I'm upset as that's a pretty trivial amount. It's the principle of the matter that there doesn't seem to be any actual warnings that this update only works for Ivy Bridge, I don't know how anyone would assume that a BIOS update that only says "includes support for Ivy Bridge" would render Sandy Bridge, the CPU the board was originally designed for, inoperable with the MB.

I would recommend you contact support because the feedback I've gotten is to defend their lack of proper documentation and pin the blame on me. Maybe if they received more complaints it will move them to update the BIOS description so future users don't fall into the same system breaking issues we've encountered.

If Asrock would update their documentation and provide users with free BIOS chips who ran into this issue then that's what I would consider the right thing to do.

I agree, the documentation is terrible and the price for a new chip, while cheap, is besides that point. I will try contacting them. In the meantime, before I found this thread I found http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?265903-Asrock-P67-Extreme4-UEFI-amp-Drivers-thread-Extreme6-amp-Pro3-owners-welcome/page78&s=10b3f0300b90a326dd35d769554802dc" rel="nofollow - this thread on another forum that had a link to ROMs of ASRock's BIOSes (some of which ASRock still hosts on their site but have hidden in favor of the Windows installers) which should be able to be used by Instant Flash. They did not help in my case and Instant Flash still could not find the image, though I did not attempt to reflash 3.10.

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 2:28am
While I was focused on trying to find a fix for your issue, I forgot some basic information about this special BIOS update. Please read this carefully so you can fully understand the realities of this BIOS update.

In the past (before Windows 10), the Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge processor compatibility BIOS update provided for Intel 6 series chipset boards, could be successfully applied to systems that were using Sandy Bridge processors.

It was NOT a given that people using a Sandy Bridge processor, and applied this BIOS update, would then have a broken PC. This is true despite what the OP was told by ASRock support.

I spent a lot of time dealing with ASRock board users that applied this BIOS update on their Intel 6 series chipset boards with Sandy Bridge processors, in the ASRock forum sponsored by TweakTown.

At that time, performing this BIOS update incorrectly was the cause of issues experienced by some users of Intel 6 series chipset boards. Many users of Sandy Bridge processors verified that they did not have any issues after applying this BIOS update in that ASRock forum.

Now with the release and use of Windows 10, we are seeing new and unfortunate issues with these BIOS updates. 

While none of the above actually helps you with your issues, I needed to make it clear that prior to Windows 10, it was possible to use these BIOS updates with Sandy Bridge processors without any problems.

Now that we are experiencing issues with these BIOS updates when used with Windows 10, I imagine ASRock will look into this and hopefully find a fix and/or help users with their problems.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 1:32am
So, I just got a response from ASRock support and, frankly, I am in shock. Here is their response:

Quote Thanks you for contacting ASRock support.
Mainboard does not support Windows 10.
Please visit the link below for mainboard's supported OS.
Check back later the link below again if future update.
(And then there is a link to the BIOS download page on their site.)

I explained that the previous BIOS had allowed me to boot into Windows, the only problem being the Task manager error and asked if there was any way to revert back to the old BIOS or get a new BIOS chip. What else do I say to this?

Edit: Well they're offering to send me a new BIOS chip (I assume not for free). Tallshortguy, do you have any idea what BIOS version you're getting? They're asking me what version I would like and I can't even remember what version I had. Upgrading to 3.10 was the first time I tried upgrading it since purchasing the board in 2011. Maybe 1.60? My order was placed on the same day 1.80 came out, so maybe it's safe to go with that one? I don't know.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 11:41am
May I try to help you with BIOS versions?

One thing you can always do is look at the CMOS/BIOS chip on your board, which should have a label on it that indicates the BIOS version that was used on your board when it was manufactured.

The CMOS chip on your board is directly below the last blue SATA port on your board, and above the Reset switch on the board.

Some of the BIOS versions that existed for your board are 1.50, 1.60, 170. 1.80, 1.90, 2.00, and 2.10.

Version 2.10 seems to be the last version before the 3.10 version. You should be able to request any of those versions.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 1:31am
Thanks, parsec! Seems my hunch was right and I had 1.60. Now I just have to mail them a check or money order (Really? No PayPal? Not even credit cards?) and wait for the new chip, I guess. I hope they get this stuff straightened out at some point.

Posted By: MikeyJ
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 11:18am
Hi All,

I too got sucked into this issue trying to solve the 100% CPU issue with Win 10. Sort of luckily for me I had a dual boot Win 7 set up so I was able to get back in using my Win 7 OS. Still doesn't fix my Win 10 no boot issue tho. :( 

I'm very surprised ASRock was not more clear on the fact that 3.10 was not compatible with Win 10 right on the support page.

Just for reference, I've tried the 3.21A beta BIOS from a link found further up in the comments and it does not solve the problem. Here's to hoping they create an update to fix this!

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 12:48am
Originally posted by MikeyJ MikeyJ wrote:

Hi All,

I too got sucked into this issue trying to solve the 100% CPU issue with Win 10. Sort of luckily for me I had a dual boot Win 7 set up so I was able to get back in using my Win 7 OS. Still doesn't fix my Win 10 no boot issue tho. :( 

I'm very surprised ASRock was not more clear on the fact that 3.10 was not compatible with Win 10 right on the support page.

Just for reference, I've tried the 3.21A beta BIOS from a link found further up in the comments and it does not solve the problem. Here's to hoping they create an update to fix this!

I tried updating to 3.21A as well, just to see if it would by chance happen to boot up but yeah, no go. What processor are you running?

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by IronRinn IronRinn wrote:

Hi All,

I tried updating to 3.21A as well, just to see if it would by chance happen to boot up but yeah, no go. What processor are you running?

I'm running an i7 2600 Sandy Bridge.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 2:15am

Hi All,

Frankly, I don't think any mother board manufacture was aware of all the issues that Win 10 would cause.

Please try to understand and remember that every time a new version of Windows is released, that issues like these appear.

When Win 8 was first released, Microsoft had a web page where they asked users to post their experiences with drivers that worked and did not work with it! Confused 

Consider that when we think about whom is responsible for getting a new version of Windows working correctly across many differing hardware platforms. Pinch

The Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge compatibility BIOS update must be done carefully by itself, but add another variable to that such as a new release of Windows at the same time... is it really surprising if the combination of the two did not work?

I'm sorry guys, I simply want you all to keep these things in mind. Add to all this the release of the Skylake platform and all the new boards, and last minute UEFI/BIOS and driver updates which also must work with Windows 10... you can imagine how busy the mother board manufactures are at this time. The phrase "Perfect Storm" comes to mind. Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 7:32am
Was waiting for my new BIOS chip before posting updates. I got a 3.1 chip to make sure it wasn't a corrupt BIOS issue and it isn't. The vendor (not Asrock) offered to reflash any version I want. Parsec would you recommend 1.6 or 2.1? It seems that Ivy Bridge support is the issue. Thanks for the help, you've been much more helpful than Asrock support who stopped responding to my questions.

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 12:11am
So the 3.10 BIOS version did not work with Windows 10? Don't forget there are driver updates that are needed with that BIOS updates, the Intel IME software being the most basic one. But if the PC won't boot, how can you update a driver, right?

I really don't know which version would be better with Windows 10. I would assume a later version would be the better bet, so 2.10 is what I would choose.

Sorry about your experience with support, I guess if they are out of ideas they stop responding.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 9:47am
OK, so I solved this and I'm very upset with myself because I should have known better!

Go into your BIOS.
Go to Advanced.
Go to Storage Configuration.
Make sure "SATA Mode Selection" is set to "AHCI".
Go down to "Marvell SATA3 Operation Mode" and make sure it's set to "AHCI Mode".
Exit and save changes.

These had changed back to their default settings as IDE on the BIOS update.

These were the only changes I made as far as I can remember and it booted right into Win10. If this doesn't work for you, the only thing I can think is that you may need to be on the beta 3.21a BIOS that I tried as a Hail Mary when nothing else was working.

Good Luck!
Mike 

PS - Yes, it fixes the 100% CPU issue!

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 12:49pm
Thanks for posting back with your fix MikeyJ. I am sure someone will find it useful Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 11:42pm

OK, so I solved this and I'm very upset with myself because I should have known better!

Go into your BIOS.
Go to Advanced.
Go down to "Marvell SATA3 Operation Mode" and make sure it's set to "AHCI Mode".
Exit and save changes.

These were the only changes I made as far as I can remember and it booted right into Win10. If this doesn't work for you, the only thing I can think is that you may need to be on the beta 3.21a BIOS that I tried as a Hail Mary when nothing else was working.

Good Luck!
Mike 

I swear I tried this and it was still a no go, but I'll give it another shot on 3.21a.

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 12:31am

Go into your BIOS.
Go to Advanced.
Exit and save changes.

Good Luck!
Mike 

Thank you for posting your fix! Thumbs Up

P67 boards and their early UEFI/BIOS were new at the time when AHCI was finally becoming the default SATA mode, but that was not 100% consistent for all boards. Every BIOS update resets everything to default values, in your case that was IDE for the SATA mode.

As a RAID mode user, which is also not a default setting, I have it burned in my brain that I must reset the SATA mode after every UEFI/BIOS update or clear.

The problem with failing to boot in IDE mode when Windows was installed in AHCI mode is... a Windows issue that still exists today with Win 10, as you have seen. If the SATA mode changes, the SATA driver must change as well. For whatever reason, Windows cannot automatically change the driver. It can be done with a manual registry edit, but that can only be done if you can boot into Windows, of course.

No shame in telling us about this, exactly the opposite is true, you were brave enough to do so, and we thank you for that! Handshake

You are at least the second Win 10 upgrade user in this forum that fixed their Win 10 problem simply by fixing the SATA mode. I can only wonder how many more users can fix their Win 10 boot issue in this way. Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 6:06am
Yeah, didn't work for me. Oh well.

Posted By: Shagni
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 11:40pm
I ran into the same issue and it was fixed by changing mode.

So far pretty happy with Windows 10 but the lack of true drivers makes the system a tad slower.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 10:16pm
Anyone know how long it usually takes ASRock to get a new chip out? It's been almost two weeks since I sent the check and I've heard nothing. They haven't even deposited the damn thing.

Edit: Finally heard back. Went out this Monday.

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 11:23pm
Well, figured I would check in. I received my chip from ASRock...

and it had the wrong BIOS on it. They sent 1.90. However, it doesn't matter because I CAN ACTUALLY BOOT INTO WINDOWS! Holy crap, after close to a month of this I have a functioning computer again!

That said, I still have the 100% CPU utilization problem. But I have a functioning computer. So I'm chalking it up as a win. Man, I am so relieved.

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 11:27pm
Thanks for getting back to us, happy to hear you have your system up and running again!

The BIOS was probably a custom job specifically for your situation and needs. I am sorry to hear it did not resolve your other issue.

Posted By: chrono03
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 11:20am
Well, you can add another one to the list of people screwed over by updating my BIOS using a sandy bridge processor.  I also paid the 15 dollars to get a BIOS chip back from them and the dummies sent me a chip with 3.2 flashed on it.  Back to square one.  Anyone have any ideas about how to get the system functioning again?  

Posted By: chrono03
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 1:02pm
Ok - So the best solution i was able to come up with was to flash BACK to 2.0 from the 3.3 bios update.  I know that this is ill-advised given the issues with the Intel management engine.  However, it does result in a stable PC that is operable.  If you plan on using windows 10, you'll have the 100% CPU usage, but at least you won't get BSOD's every few minutes.  

I don't want to try to flash back to 3.1 and risk having the same issues as before.  I am going to count my blessings that I have a (mostly) functional PC.  Link is attached below:

ftp://europe.asrock.com/BIOS/1155/P67%20Pro3(2.00)WIN.zip

Posted By: Matol
Date Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 10:10pm
I registered only to thank MikeyJ.
I have a P63 Extreme and I5 2500k, updated bios to 3.3 and win7 wasn't starting, only giving me the repair option with no solution. Changed the bios settings to AHCI on the storage config and now I have a working computer again.

ps: I might just flash back to an older version after reading some of the problems others are having.

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 10:21pm
Only flash back if you are experiencing issues. If all is stable and working as it should then you should stick with what you have.

Posted By: thmchn
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 12:56am
I updated my P67 Pro3 motherboard with BIOS 3.30 in order to fix the CPU being overused in Windows 10. Now my external (and internal) audio is very laggy (it worked in Windows 10 before the update). It sounds like playing an old VHS-tape if you are old enough to get that... Mouse is also laggy (and it was Before update), so is moving windows around with the mouse (not otherwise).

I also had the problem with DEVICE NOT FOUND or something. But that was a message from grub since I didn't remove a Linux dual boot properly and was easily repaired using command in a windows installer...

I had to set the ACHI mode as you guys did... I still have no idea what to do in order to get my sound back in order... The PC is kind of worthless without sound.

Posted By: thmchn
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 1:31am
UPDATE: I Think I just solved my problems... After installing AHCI Intel Rapid Storage (for windows 7 I think), everything started wokring flawless. No problems with either sound or mouse or CPU lag.

Try: STOR_Win7_8_8.1_12.9.0.1001 over at Intels downloadcenter...

Posted By: axxeem
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 9:41am
I made an account for this because I was having the same problem, was super frustrated, and just got mine working again without buying a new BIOS chip:

Asrock p67 Extreme 4, intel i5-2500k
Upgraded to Win 10, CPU was at 100% even idling, tried updating the BIOS as I found online to 3.10, and got the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error.  Confirmed SATA was in AHCI and boot order was correct, still not able to load windows 10.

What worked for me: booted into Safe Mode through the Boot Menu on start up (F11).  Safe mode managed to load windows fine.  I then restarted and Windows 10 loaded normally.  I have no idea why this worked, why it was able to load in safe mode and then a simple restart would fix my problem, but it did, and I'm now running 3.10 with a normal CPU load.

I was worried because I saw the posts about the only work around being sending out for a new BIOS chip with an old version or trying to reflash with an older BIOS version.  Give this a try first.  Hope it helps someone!

Posted By: RhymesWithOrange
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 4:26pm
I too made an account just to say that I was having the same problem, but thanks to this thread (especially the fixes by axxeem and MikeyJ) I was able to resolve the issue.

Asrock p67 Extreme4 Gen 3, intel i7-2600k. I too updated the BIOS to get rid of the 100% CPU problem. Windows 10 was giving me the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error as well.

I went into the Storage configuration settings in my BIOS and discovered that the 'Sata Mode Selection' and 'Sata3 Operation Mode' settings had been changed back to IDE as MikeyJ had discovered before. I changed these settings back to ACHI, and... unfortunately the problem persisted. Thanks to Axxeem, however, I rebooted my computer in safe mode, and voila! I didn't even need to sign in -- I simply restarted the computer one more time and everything was back to normal.

Thanks for all the help guys! I too was getting worried about losing access to my computer for a month, but instead I will sleep easy tonight!

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 4:46pm
That's why forums are so useful Thumbs Up

You can thank members additionally by clicking the thanks icon just above their post Wink 

Posted By: moosss
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 7:13am
Originally posted by axxeem axxeem wrote:

I made an account for this because I was having the same problem, was super frustrated, and just got mine working again without buying a new BIOS chip:

Asrock p67 Extreme 4, intel i5-2500k
Upgraded to Win 10, CPU was at 100% even idling, tried updating the BIOS as I found online to 3.10, and got the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error.  Confirmed SATA was in AHCI and boot order was correct, still not able to load windows 10.

What worked for me: booted into Safe Mode through the Boot Menu on start up (F11).  Safe mode managed to load windows fine.  I then restarted and Windows 10 loaded normally.  I have no idea why this worked, why it was able to load in safe mode and then a simple restart would fix my problem, but it did, and I'm now running 3.10 with a normal CPU load.

I was worried because I saw the posts about the only work around being sending out for a new BIOS chip with an old version or trying to reflash with an older BIOS version.  Give this a try first.  Hope it helps someone!

I just registered to say that this fix worked for me as well.
I have:

WIndows 10 x64-bit
AsRock P67 Extreme 4 
Intel I5-2500k
Samsung SSD 840 EVO
WDC WD1002FAEX

Posted By: jari1984
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by RhymesWithOrange RhymesWithOrange wrote:

I too made an account just to say that I was having the same problem, but thanks to this thread (especially the fixes by axxeem and MikeyJ) I was able to resolve the issue.

Asrock p67 Extreme4 Gen 3, intel i7-2600k. I too updated the BIOS to get rid of the 100% CPU problem. Windows 10 was giving me the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error as well.

I went into the Storage configuration settings in my BIOS and discovered that the 'Sata Mode Selection' and 'Sata3 Operation Mode' settings had been changed back to IDE as MikeyJ had discovered before. I changed these settings back to ACHI, and... unfortunately the problem persisted. Thanks to Axxeem, however, I rebooted my computer in safe mode, and voila! I didn't even need to sign in -- I simply restarted the computer one more time and everything was back to normal.

Thanks for all the help guys! I too was getting worried about losing access to my computer for a month, but instead I will sleep easy tonight!

Thanks RhymesWithOrange, this worked for me too! I also updated my BIOS for the 100% CPU load issue, and Windows 10 refused to boot after that.

Setup:
-ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
-Intel i5-2500K
-Windows 10 x64

Posted By: jhoeschele02
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 12:58am
I have been reading all the posts and most seem to be people that have updated the BIOS to Ver3.1 but are still using a Sandy Bridge CPU.  Does this same issue apply if I update my BIOS to Ver3.1 and then I change my CPU from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge?  Also - what is the best way to update the BIOS - I have Windows 10 and I understand from the posts that BIOS update program does not work well with it.  Why I am updating the BIOS is I am upgrading my i3 Sandy Bridge to an i5 Ivy Bridge and the current BIOS (1.60) does not support it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Setup:
-ASRock P67 Extreme4 (B3)
-Intel i3-2120 (moving to i5-3550)
-Windows 10 x64

-------------
Regards,
John

Posted By: GripS
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 11:10am
Originally posted by jhoeschele02 jhoeschele02 wrote:

I have been reading all the posts and most seem to be people that have updated the BIOS to Ver3.1 but are still using a Sandy Bridge CPU.  Does this same issue apply if I update my BIOS to Ver3.1 and then I change my CPU from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge?  Also - what is the best way to update the BIOS - I have Windows 10 and I understand from the posts that BIOS update program does not work well with it.  Why I am updating the BIOS is I am upgrading my i3 Sandy Bridge to an i5 Ivy Bridge and the current BIOS (1.60) does not support it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Setup:
-ASRock P67 Extreme4 (B3)
-Intel i3-2120 (moving to i5-3550)
-Windows 10 x64

When you go to the download site for the latest bios, this is displayed:

Please update to the latest BIOS with Instant Flash or Internet Flash in the UEFI setup if you are using Windows 10.

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 6:36pm
The files in the zipped download are not recognized by instant flash in the UEFI, only the windows installer is included in the zip file.  Do you know where there are files for BIOS Ver3.1 that can be used by instant flash?  Otherwise I will have to use the windows installer. Any help will be appreciated.

-------------
Regards,
John

Date Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 8:55pm
Just an update -- I found a post on Tom Hardware forum about a site that has the files that work with instant flash:

http://pctreiber.net/asrock-bios-downloads?dlsearch=Asrock+P67+Extreme4&sortby=date

I have updated my BIOS to Ver3.1 and changed my cpu from an i3-2120 Sandy Bride to a i5-3550 Ivy Bridge.  On startup, I did get an error when booting Windows 10 - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, so I went into the new BIOS and changed my 'SATA Operation Mode' from IDE to ACHI and restarted.  The same error came back up, so I restarted in SAFE MODE and Window 10 loaded.  I then restarted and Windows 10 came up normally and all is working now.  I would like to thank MickeyJ for posting about the SATA operation mode fix and axxeem for the startup in Safe Mode and then restart - these really saved me!!  My system is up and running now - I have to thank this forum for that!!

-------------
Regards,
John

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 12:15am
That is awesome to hear, that is exactly what these forums are here for Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: danduman2
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2016 at 12:29pm
I am yet another person who achieved SUCCESS with 

1. Changing SATA mode to AHCI.

2. Booting into Safe Mode once first.

My issue was the same- ASRock P67 Extreme 4 motherboard, Windows 10 x64, 100% CPU usage. I updated the BIOS and had the same issue with BOOT_DEVICE_INACCESSIBLE. All better after the two steps above. THANK YOU to the original and everyone who posted after!!!!

Posted By: thecitythatreads
Date Posted: 19 May 2016 at 8:08am
Like the last person, I am yet another person who achieved SUCCESS with 

1. Changing SATA mode to AHCI. (Both with the top controller and the marvell one)

My issue was the same- ASRock P67 Extreme 4 motherboard, Windows 10 x64. I had bios v 1.60. I have an i5-2500k. I updated the BIOS and had the same issue with BOOT_DEVICE_INACCESSIBLE. All better after the two steps above.  Thanks everyone

Posted By: halvtomat
Date Posted: 22 May 2016 at 5:45pm
Hey guys, just made this account to say that my problem is still here.

Just like everybody else I updated the Bios to fix the 100% cpu problem, my board is not as fancy as yours doe so the latest update for me is 2.10. 

I have changed the sata option  to ahci and tried booting into safemode but safemode gives me the same "Inaccessible_boot_device" screen, i didnt find any marvell sata option in the bios, does anyone know if the marvell option thing even exists in the H67M motherboard?

Im thinking of just going back to windows 7 atm, ive had too many problems with windows 10.

-------------
Intel Core i7 2600, ASrock H67M, Sapphire HD 7950 vapor-x

Posted By: Flamingoskive
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 10:02pm
" rel="nofollow - Hi people
I have a pc using a Asrock H67M-GE motherboard with bios update P1.40.
I recently updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (free update) and the computer worked fine for a while.
Now, after about 2½ month the pc wont start. After the Asrock bios picture the screen goes black and all I get is a blinking cursor in the top left cornor and a short single beep-tone. 
I have not tried to update bios, and I can see my harddrive in bios - i've also tried to switch sata to AHCI, but no success.
Does anyone know what to do now?

Posted By: Scruff
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 1:55am
Originally posted by jhoeschele02 jhoeschele02 wrote:

Just an update -- I found a post on Tom Hardware forum about a site that has the files that work with instant flash:

http://pctreiber.net/asrock-bios-downloads?dlsearch=Asrock+P67+Extreme4&sortby=date

I have updated my BIOS to Ver3.1 and changed my cpu from an i3-2120 Sandy Bride to a i5-3550 Ivy Bridge.  On startup, I did get an error when booting Windows 10 - INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, so I went into the new BIOS and changed my 'SATA Operation Mode' from IDE to ACHI and restarted.  The same error came back up, so I restarted in SAFE MODE and Window 10 loaded.  I then restarted and Windows 10 came up normally and all is working now.  I would like to thank MickeyJ for posting about the SATA operation mode fix and axxeem for the startup in Safe Mode and then restart - these really saved me!!  My system is up and running now - I have to thank this forum for that!!

Hi,
Having the same issue as you.
Did you happen to save a copy of the 3.1 Bios flash. The link to the download area now errors with the 404! Confused
If you have it, do you mind sharing?
Thx.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 8:33am
Originally posted by thecitythatreads thecitythatreads wrote:

Like the last person, I am yet another person who achieved SUCCESS with 

1. Changing SATA mode to AHCI. (Both with the top controller and the marvell one)

My issue was the same- ASRock P67 Extreme 4 motherboard, Windows 10 x64. I had bios v 1.60. I have an i5-2500k. I updated the BIOS and had the same issue with BOOT_DEVICE_INACCESSIBLE. All better after the two steps above.  Thanks everyone

Thanks, Clap I followed these step too (multiple times Shocked) and it finally worked. 

I could not get the download to work for the 3.1 flash (404 error). Given that I had been playing with this issue for a few weeks and I had resigned myself to getting a new Mobo I applied the 3.19 bios flash (what the hell, right?). It did not fix it directly but the steps above did (after also enter the boot info again). THANKS!
Now I have a new mobo/CPU/RAM coming. Guess I'mm build another PC... why not have two! Wink

Posted By: Miek
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 5:09am
" rel="nofollow - Hi Scruff,

Do you have a download for 3.19?

I am currently suffering the same fate as everyone else with no other ideas.

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 11:45pm
I downloaded the latest version at the time, even though it said it was not compatible, and was able to get it to work after a few tries. It was more brute force and lucky. 

It was a while ago so unfortunately I am unable to find the exact version I used to get it to work. Confused

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net