Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6349
Printed Date: 27 Jul 2024 at 12:10pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: AGESA 1.0.0.7 incoming !
Posted By: Rares
Subject: AGESA 1.0.0.7 incoming !
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 3:14pm
"AGESA 1007 comes with support for Raven Ridge APUs. AMD has also changed the entire BIOS base structure so we have to do a lot of work to port everything to the new version, which may result in further bugs. The advantage is that it makes it easier to support future CPUs (Raven Ridge, Pinnacle Ridge). The cold boot fix will be implemented as soon as we have a recent AGESA version which supports it."

-via Guru3D-

-------------
X370 Gaming K4 / Ryzen 1700 @ 3.725 / G.Skill FlareX 14-14-14-14-34 @ 3200 XMP / Sapphire Nitro RX480 / SSD x 3

Replies:
Posted By: SoniC
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:51pm
" rel="nofollow - So means Threadripper will be left without the update as it is mainly targeting AM4 platform?
Pity as the memory compatibility on the X399 is far from perfect...

-------------
-=SoniC=-
TR x1950, ASRock X399 FPG (v. 3.33A), G.Skill 3200 CL14 64GB, Enermax LiqTech 280,
AMD Vega 64 LC, 10x HDDs (mostly Hitachi), 2x M.2 (970EVO,960Pro), Xonar DX, AX1200i PSU

Posted By: JUANNY
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by SoniC SoniC wrote:

" rel="nofollow - So means Threadripper will be left without the update as it is mainly targeting AM4 platform?

can you share the original link that announces this?

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:00pm
" rel="nofollow - Nothing about AGESA 1.0.0.7 in AMD's blog posts yet, where they have had information about AGESA updates in the past.

Originally posted by Rares Rares wrote:

"AGESA 1007 comes with support for Raven Ridge APUs. AMD has also changed the entire BIOS base structure so we have to do a lot of work to port everything to the new version, which may result in further bugs. The advantage is that it makes it easier to support future CPUs (Raven Ridge, Pinnacle Ridge). The cold boot fix will be implemented as soon as we have a recent AGESA version which supports it."

-via Guru3D-

This sounds both good and bad, with too much potential for bad, at least in the short term. ASSUMING that it is true!

I'll look into this more later, soon.

Originally posted by SoniC SoniC wrote:

So means Threadripper will be left without the update as it is mainly targeting AM4 platform?

A bit early to be lamenting TR being left out of the party, don't you think? Plus Ryzen users get to be the Beta testers of the new AGESA version, again assuming this is true. Also, given what the main intended purpose of this update is, which does not apply to TR at all, what is TR missing? Why do we think every AGESA update automatically includes fixes to issues we may be having?

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: MisterJ
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:21pm
" rel="nofollow - I hope all of you will take a look at my latest response from AMD concerning TR and AGESA:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6271&KW=agesa&PID=37940&title=amd-response-to-agesa-bios-query#37940

Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Google sees many references:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-preps-agesa-1-7-firmware-to-support-raven-ridge-apus.html

-------------
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 1:06am
" rel="nofollow -
Saw the reply from AMD in your thread John/MisterJ. Thanks for that... However I am still not fully satisfied ;-)

Originally posted by JUANNY JUANNY wrote:

can you share the original link that announces this?

The changes we know of are meant for Raven Ridge APUs and Pinnacle Ridge = AM4.
Since there was no word of TR4/SR4 (and thanks to John we know that AM4 AGESA is not shared with TR4/SR4) this is my (personal) assumption.

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

A bit early to be lamenting TR being left out of the party, don't you think? Plus Ryzen users get to be the Beta testers of the new AGESA version, again assuming this is true. Also, given what the main intended purpose of this update is, which does not apply to TR at all, what is TR missing? Why do we think every AGESA update automatically includes fixes to issues we may be having?

I am not lamenting... I would "just" want the same memory compatibility level the AM4-users are getting & be happy with that.
Since the whole PR circles around on mentioning that Threadripper is the "Crème de la Crème" of all the RyZEN selects, is it really that bad for me to assume/request that it would perform _at least_ on par with the AM4 platform?

On par for me beeing -- 4 Samsung B-Die 16GB DS Sticks running with full 3200 CL14 speed (Ripjaws V 64GB "red" set).
I enjoy it on the X370 Fatal1ty Pro Gaming since beta AGESA 1.0.0.6 (and it was 2 Months after RyZEN launched)
On X399 Fatal1ty Pro Gaming I have the same set on 2933 stable. 
Anything above it - goes into bootloop. (3066 is not stable with some booting problems/BSODs after a few hours).
And yes --- I have played A LOT with the ASRock UEFI and all the advanced settings...
And by all means == I would be more than happy to play the beta-tester... 

Would be kinda nice for AMD to give some information/insights on what to expect also from the X399 platform... at least being marketed as "premium".

-------------
-=SoniC=-
TR x1950, ASRock X399 FPG (v. 3.33A), G.Skill 3200 CL14 64GB, Enermax LiqTech 280,
AMD Vega 64 LC, 10x HDDs (mostly Hitachi), 2x M.2 (970EVO,960Pro), Xonar DX, AX1200i PSU

Posted By: JUANNY
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 2:55am
Wondering how much of the memory compatibility that AMD has learned on the Ryzen platform can or will be applied to the x399 Threadripper. Also does threadripper also have the lower clocks on the memory when all 8 dimms are fully populated cause Ill be investing about 3k in a month or so to be fully decked out to 128 gb.

Posted By: TraxXavier
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 11:28pm
" rel="nofollow - I am also going to get a 16 core 128GB machine soon, can people here confirm that with the 1.80 bios the 128 GB of ram will work fine?

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 1:35pm
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by JUANNY JUANNY wrote:

Wondering how much of the memory compatibility that AMD has learned on the Ryzen platform can or will be applied to the x399 Threadripper. Also does threadripper also have the lower clocks on the memory when all 8 dimms are fully populated cause Ill be investing about 3k in a month or so to be fully decked out to 128 gb.

High memory over clocks are always more difficult to achieve as the capacity of memory used increases. That is simply basic PC memory reality and applies to both AMD and Intel. You can see that in any memory QVL/Support list. The highest memory over clocks are only available with one DIMM per channel, and the capacity of the DIMMs at the highest speeds are reduced compared to lower speed over clocks.

Memory over clocks basically depend on three things, the capability of the processor's IMC, the layout of the DIMM slots on a mother board, and the model of memory being used. The model of memory depends upon the memory chips being used, the extent of the binning of the memory chips, and if the memory is sold (purchased) in a matched set. The programming for the memory in the UEFI/BIOS is also very important, but cannot compensate for the limitations of the other three things.

The greater load on the IMC with more memory makes it more difficult for the memory controller to work at higher speeds. We can increase the voltage(s) used by the memory controller, but that has limits, and the IMC also is affected by the "silicon lottery" affect.

The more memory slots being used, the more interference between the signal traces on the board occurs, and it is more challenging to layout the memory signal traces. Trying to keep the signal traces all the same length or as close as possible matters, due to the very high frequencies involved.

How is that done with four memory channels, and two memory slots per channel? The slots closer to the CPU have their trace lengths increased to match more closely with the slots further away. But that also reduces the speed potential of the closer slots. Balancing one trade-off for another is difficult engineering.

Do we see memory over clocking on very high capacity enterprise mother boards? No because higher speeds and stability cannot be guaranteed with very high capacities. Guaranteed being the keyword there.

With the price of DDR4 memory of any capacity being ridiculous currently, high capacity kits (64GB+) at high rated over clocks are priced beyond ridiculous levels. So to purchase 128GB of memory, we buy two 64GB kits, or possibly four 32GB kits. We take the chance of using unmatched DIMMs in multiple kits. The results can be disappointing.

Using 128GB of memory in X399 systems has been problematic for many users, using boards made by any manufacture. Keep in mind that the responsibility for the ability to use 128GB of memory is shared by all the involved parties, not just the mother board manufacture.

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 1:54am
UPDATE : 
ASUS has released first UEFIs with AGESA 1.0.7.1

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/AMD-Zen-Codename-261795/News/Ryzen-Asus-AGESA-1071-Raven-Ridge-APUs-1244000/" rel="nofollow - http://www.pcgameshardware.de/AMD-Zen-Codename-261795/News/Ryzen-Asus-AGESA-1071-Raven-Ridge-APUs-1244000/

Rough translation (short version): 
these are for AM4 mainboards (as I've assumed earlier) and are going to the top of the line Mainboards later on - as they include some additional OC features, they need presumably also more time.
But AGESA 1.0.7.1 is close.
In the changelog they only mention support for new processors (Raven Ridge).
Plus -- this version also contains a cold boot bug fix -- where memory was set to 1.2V only (at boot) thus boot-looping in some cases.  

I hope that this feature will also come to ASRock and TR4 platform (mainly cold boot fix).
Here the post on the overclockers forum>
http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/29890#post_26458407" rel="nofollow - http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/29890#post_26458407

-------------
-=SoniC=-

Posted By: donalgodon
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 2:52am
"AMD has also changed the entire BIOS base structure so we have to do a lot of work to port everything to the new version" 

Bugs incoming.

Posted By: datonyb
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:40am
early adopter

I WILL NOT BE Tongue

-------------
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 4:40am
" rel="nofollow - donalgodon: yeah, might be. But it also might fix some hidden bugs ;-)

Another interesting point from the user 1usmus on overclockers.net forum >
http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/29890#post_26458586

"3) Hidden option DQS drive strength solves the problem of cold boots .I spent a lot of testing, reducing the resistance a step from the "procODT" helps. Why is the problem solved via the clock generator and without drive strength? This significantly limits the overclocking potential of memory. It is artificially limited. The problem is not in IMC"

datonyb -- And me on the other hand --- If someone from ASRock is willing to use me as a guinea pig for the new X399 FPG UEFIs - be my guest :) 
I am not scared of new things, have other rigs that I can use in the meantime etc. 

-------------
-=SoniC=-

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 5:14am
UPDATE : I gave it a shot and checked/disassembled the X399 FPG UEFI 1.80 against any "hidden" options (especially if it contains the DQS drive strenght) but unfortunately I found none... ohwell.... 1.90 (or any earlier beta) it is :)
P.S. 1.80 = 1.71 -->  they didn't even modify the project version (when reading via AFUWIN it still shows 1.71) ;-)

-------------
-=SoniC=-

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 10:17am
" rel="nofollow - OK, SiniC and datonyb, what is all this about FPG UEFI, hidden DQS options and cold boot problems?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

-------------
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

http://forum.asrock.com/RTE_textarea.asp%3cmode=quote&ID=39602&CACHE=1011" rel="nofollow - OK, SoniC and datonyb, what is all this about FPG UEFI, hidden DQS options and cold boot problems?  Thanks and enjoy, John.

FPG = Fatal1ty Pro Gaming (my MoBo), hidden DQS drive strenght = see the post where I've mentioned 1usmus on overclockers, where he has found out, that with the new AGESA on AM4 platform there is a new hidden option (DQS drive strenght) and he thinks that this might improve the compatibility with more modules seated.
I can remember this option from AM3 platform (DDR3 times) and indeed --- sometimes setting it to high improved stability with more memory sticks.

Cold boot problem - again see the earlier posts - with the new AGESA they (ASUS) are mentioning to have improved the fix to a cold boot problem with the memory (where at the initial boot it uses default 1.2V instead of the OC V set for the RAM, thus boot-looping and not going through POST).

-------------
-=SoniC=-

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 9:08pm
" rel="nofollow - asus ch6 got the beta bios 1007 agesa 5 hours ago

as per ch6 owners life
....please use the form to report bugs and errors

and instructions to flashback to earlier bios they need to use the bios flashback-usb method

is this an early sign that 1007 WONT allow you to revert back to an earlier bios on our asrock boards ?

-------------

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 12:58am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

" rel="nofollow - asus ch6 got the beta bios 1007 agesa 5 hours ago

[...]and instructions to flashback to earlier bios they need to use the bios flashback-usb method
is this an early sign that 1007 WONT allow you to revert back to an earlier bios on our asrock boards ?

I always use the USB flash method.... UEFI flashback just differs that you do it on a  low-level... probably uses only a small part of the UEFI/bootrecord to do it.
Actually -- no wonder that they recommended this way --- IF the structures changed considerably and some important parts of it can/could be overwritten during the roll-back to the old UEFI.

Rather a fail-safe way to avoid bricked boards afterwards (if you ask me).

-------------
-=SoniC=-

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 1:11am
yes it seems the asus flashback can be done without even cpu or ram

so its bypassing a lot of issues-componants

hence my ponderment, would we still be able to 'roll-back' with normal asrock bios

but then thinking on more ............... the agesa usually includes microcode for the cpu at same time

what if some firmware was changed in the cpu ,and then you use flashback in asus bios without the cpu fitted

you get a mixed bag of board bios being earlier than cpu firmwareConfused

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 2:45am
LoL... yeah.... theoretically possible but I wouldn't worry THAT much...
I am not sure if you know it but microcode update can also be rolled by means of Windows Updates... 
That is a lot more scary if MS would release a pre-release/not finished code in a borked update...
Happened several times already (with borked updates - not necessary with microcode -fortunately). Especially if ya use W10 and haven't put some tweaks/measures against it :)

-------------
-=SoniC=-

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 2:53am
yes i have tweaked my windows to defer the foundation updates to the 3 month period extention

im no guina pig

got caught out before with a hard drive controller issue ........made my hard drive dissappear ! Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 4:40am
" rel="nofollow - Thanks, SoniC.  I thought of FPG in my sleep last night.  I do my best thinking when I am asleep.  Now, SoniC, when datonyb was talking about BIOS Flashback, you said, "I always use USB Flash...".  Did you mean USB Flashback?  I have a RAID problem that I think is caused by data being left in BIOS somewhere and all the normal means (including Flashing) cannot get rid of it.  I never wanted to be the Guinea pig for Flashback.  Have you used it or know anyone that has?  Thanks again.
datonyb, I have updated this system and my R7 1800X to W10 1709.16299.19  (AKA, RS3 and Fall Creators) and both are doing fine.
Enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 5:29am

" rel="nofollow - Thanks, SoniC.  I thought of FPG in my sleep last night.  I do my best thinking when I am asleep.  Now, SoniC, when datonyb was talking about BIOS Flashback, you said, "I always use USB Flash...".  Did you mean USB Flashback?  I have a RAID problem that I think is caused by data being left in BIOS somewhere and all the normal means (including Flashing) cannot get rid of it.  I never wanted to be the Guinea pig for Flashback.  Have you used it or know anyone that has?  Thanks again.
datonyb, I have updated this system and my R7 1800X to W10 1709.16299.19  (AKA, RS3 and Fall Creators) and both are doing fine.
Enjoy, John.

i can recommend

yestechcity you tube video walk thru to remove/disable most of the windows bloatware-data mining extras from windows 10 fcu, he has actually posted an updated one today
unless you want
weather/location tracking/minesweeper/candycrush/etc etc etc etc etc all running in background LOL

regarding bios files being left

chew (brian macloughlin) who actually works with amd on some topics
did indeed mention he has found stray bios strings/code in bios after he flashed back to earlier versions

his solution was to use the dos based flasher which seems to erase blocks rather than add to them

i dont know if your tr has dos options for bios though

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:16am

Enjoy, John.

Yes, normally I use USB Flashing from UEFI, however for bigger revisions (like my AGESA tests) I also used flashbacks...  Had 4 pen drives with different versions of UEFI on them for the tests lol.
Really simple process if you ask me. Same as UEFI flash except you need to name the file "creative.rom" and it must be in the root dir.
Then plug the stick into the flashback USB port (see manual) check, that the PSU is turned on (no need to turn on the MoBo, it needs just to be powered) and press & hold the flashback button for 3 seconds.
LED starts blinking, wait... led stops blinking = finished.
If it turns to a solid color means you did something incorrectly (e.g. wrong port - happened to me too ;) no brick - repluged to correct one & repeated). 

-------------
-=SoniC=-

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 8:21am
UPDATE: 
first test version of UEFI 2.0 for X399 Taichi is out! (jzelectronic.de)
Looking into it right now ! :-)
No changelog for now.

BIOS date 21.11.2017
Addition (not sure if real -- comparing X399 FPG 1.8 to 2.0 Taichi) :
BT switch on/off

AGESA ID :  ThreadRipperPI-SP3r2-1.0.0.4

Don't see any additional memory settings in this one.

-------------
-=SoniC=-

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2017 at 4:26pm
" rel="nofollow - well so far bios agesa 1007/1070

dosnt seem to be the magic pill some were waiting for

whats changed ?
it seems the ability to set/have xmp voltage applied at cold boot (e.g. 1.35 volts and not 1.2 volts)

connected to above or not ability to *TRY* to boot at higher ram speeds (some asus ch6 guys have got a response at 3733)  the key word being try to boot, i dont think anyone has got into windows and done any test at 3733 with any form of luck

a few users are reporting 'slower' latencies at same settings with ram tests

overall it sounds like another similar step in the right direction,but not great leap forward

i dont think we expected much more
theres no telling as yet if support for less 'high end' NON-samsung b dies ram sticks using micron/hynix has vastly improved as most asus ch6 owners are using decent sticks of ram
for the whole am4 community and future sales and success i hope they have tried to stablise these more low-mid range ram sticks esp, considering the extreme high price of ALL  ddr4 at the moment

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 12:30am
SoniC, I just did a flashback and it went fine.  It did not correct my RAID problem.  I still see a RAID0 that I cannot delete.  I have requested an RMA for my board.  Thanks and enjoy, john

-------------

Posted By: Soccah123
Date Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 12:49am
" rel="nofollow - I sense your frustration Mister.  But it's just unfortunate state of business as usual. 

All mobo manufacturers are understaffed to handle this kind of CPU influx into the market.  Ryzen; Threadripper; Kabylake-X; Coffee Lake; Skylake-X.  Mobo manufacturers were used to an intel monopoly, where they would have time to slowly putting things out and properly test them.

In the space of a year, we've seen more new CPU skews than I can remember in 10 years. You think a single one of these mobo manufacturers doubled or tripled their staff to test such an influx of new products? Hell nah. It's that bottom dolla bottom line.

The only thing ASRock/Asus/Gigabyte/MSI have to ensure is that their mobos have at least the semblance of functionality so that their public reputation isn't too rattled, so that people can continue buying CPUs and Mobos. What they didn't realize, is if they all suck at once -- as they're doing now -- it's not so bad since the consumer has nowhere else to go, except of course to wait.

In any case, I'd give AM4 mobos till about June of next year till they can run smoothly without issues. For some boards there is of course no solution as the problems are hardware oriented (Asus fancontrollers, Gigabyte audio crackling).

But hey, even when we win, we lose.

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 3:27am

" rel="nofollow - well so far bios agesa 1007/1070
[...]
it seems the ability to set/have xmp voltage applied at cold boot (e.g. 1.35 volts and not 1.2 volts)
[...]

For some (like me) it might be the last puzzle piece to the actual solution.
I got the 4x kit 64GB 3200 CL14 (1.35V) stable on RyZEN (of course this was already on beta AGESA 1006), now IF they apply the same medicine also to TR + fix the cold boot then my kit _might_ just be able to boot @3200. 
And if it boots - I will get it stable..

-------------
-=SoniC=-

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 7:12am
" rel="nofollow - you run the 1usmus ryzen ram calculator ?

its pretty dam good at sorting out these last tweaks

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 11:58am

" rel="nofollow - you run the 1usmus ryzen ram calculator ?

its pretty dam good at sorting out these last tweaks

In the meantime I ran/tried everything possible to get to the highest possible stable value (RTC/RyZENCalc/overclockers.net (chew) values, my own experience :) etc.). 

-------------
-=SoniC=-

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net