URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6716
Printed Date: 19 May 2024 at 8:39pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: X399 issues
Posted By: Joel_l
Subject: X399 issues
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 1:12pm
" rel="nofollow - Hi,

I recently set up an X399 Taichi with a 1920X CPU. Overall it runs well, the only thing I have overclocked is the memory, Hynix 2133 running at 2666 with the 2133 default voltage and timings. No stability issues.

What I am having trouble with are the fan controls and post screen.

I boot both Win 10 and Linux so I'm trying to set up the MB to run the CPU fans and water pump  on my H100i V2 CPU cooler. First thing I notice is what ASRock calls CPU temp is really Tctrl. I have tried setting custom fan curves for CPU 1 fan an CPU opt set as a fan. No matter if I choose CPU temp or Tctrl as the sensor, the fans do not follow the speeds I set ( I have correlated fan % to rpm ) . I use HWinfo to monitor what's going on and I can see the CPU temps clmb right on up and the fans not responding. I know the fans work because I can set a fixed speed just fine. For example, if I set CPU temp as the sensor and set the fans to be 100% at 50C, I can watch the temperature climb to 60C with a stress test and the fans do not ramp up. Same behavior if I use Tctrl as a sensor.

I have another issue with the post screen, I have the BIOS set to pause 10 seconds. Once the menus show up, It will sit for a minute before doing any thing. If I select a menu option, it still takes a full minute to do anything. Before messing with the fans, this did seem to be much faster. I loaded BIOS defaults, but this long delay did not change.

The long post, menu delay is not a big concern other than it seems to have changed behavior, but the fans not working as expected is annoying.

Any thoughts on what to look for?

Thanks

Joel

Replies:
Posted By: MisterJ
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 12:25am
Joel_l, I have not played with BIOS fan control, so I cannot be much help.  I also have a X370 with a H100i and use the Corsair Link.  I am curious why you do not use it.  I do know that all the Ryzen processors have strange CPU temperature reporting.  My R7 1800X adds 20C and my 1950X adds 27C, I have read.  I do not know what temperatures the fan control is actually using.  Maybe try lower temperatures in your fan curves.  Perhaps you should open a ticket with ASRock Support and ask them.  Remember this is a user forum and almost no ASRock employees visit here.  I would also suggest you ask them about your POST pause problem.  This is the first I have heard of this feature.  I do know that the Advanced BIOS Training can add significant time to POST.  You might drop your memory OC and see if anything changes.  Enjoy, John.

-------------
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Posted By: Joel_l
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 3:46am
The reason I don't use Corsair link is that there is not a Linux version so I prefer to use the BMC on the MB. I got the fans working reasonably well, I could tweak further by just messing with the temperature points as you say. When I stress the CPU ( CPUZ ) it stabilizes at 58.5C ( as reported by HWinfo ) and the cooler fans just started ramping up. For now, good enough.

I did figure out my slow boot issue. I went into the boot menu and re-setup the boot priority and available devices.  I have 6 HDDs in my system. Once I removed all but the 2 HDDs that can actually boot from the HDD list, it now goes much faster.

Thanks

Joel

Posted By: MisterJ
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 5:54am
Thanks, Joel_l.  I was wondering if Corsair had a Linux copy of Link.  Good information on the boot time.  Enjoy, John.

-------------
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net