URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6722
Printed Date: 26 Jun 2024 at 6:41pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: X399 taichi & storage
Posted By: Pape
Subject: X399 taichi & storage
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 9:18am
" rel="nofollow - Hi,

Building a new X399 taichi and run in a snag.
Created a sata raid 0 out of 2 drives. The newly created volume does not show up in the boot option and windows will not install on the raid volume complaining about none bootable device.
Boot on sata raid is supported on x399 bios 1.80 ?

Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: MisterJ
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 9:41am
" rel="nofollow - Pape, did you follow the instructions beginning on page 11 of the RAID Installation Guide?
http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/RAID/Fatal1ty%20X399%20Professional%20Gaming/English.pdf
This implies, at least to me, yes.
Quote E. (This step is only for NVMe RAID on X399 chipset): Go to Advanced, AMD PBS and set NVMe RAID mode¨ to <Enabled >. Then click <F10> to save to exit.

But it certainly does not say boot.  It may just be saying a SATA RAID can be created.  The information available for RAID is very poor.  I recommend you open an ASRock Support Ticket and ask them.  Please let us know what you learn.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

-------------
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Pape Pape wrote:

" rel="nofollow - Hi,

Building a new X399 taichi and run in a snag.
Created a sata raid 0 out of 2 drives. The newly created volume does not show up in the boot option and windows will not install on the raid volume complaining about none bootable device.
Boot on sata raid is supported on x399 bios 1.80 ?

Thanks

What version of Windows are you using?

Booting from SATA RAID is supported on X399, the problem is Windows does not have a compatible built in AMD RAID driver for X399/TR to use during the installation.

Even Windows 10 does not have a built in AMD RAID driver for Ryzen/AM4. You must load the AMD X399 RAID driver during the Windows 10 installation, using the Custom installation option. The new AMD X399 RAID that also supports NVMe RAID is so new that Windows does not have its own copy for use during an installation. Who knows when MSoft will include these AMD RAID drivers.

The AMD X399 RAID drivers (there are two you must install) are in the SATA Floppy Image ver:9.0.0.88 download file on your board's download page. You must use that version since you have the 1.80 UEFI version installed:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X399%20Taichi/index.asp#Download" rel="nofollow - http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X399%20Taichi/index.asp#Download

The "Floppy" terminology is a hold over from the days of using floppy disks, and Intel still uses that terminology too. You need to have the two RAID drivers on a USB flash drive that will be read when you use the Load Driver option in the Custom Windows 10 installation.

There are two drivers you must install in that download file, the rcbottom and rcraid driver. All of the files in the RS2x64 folder must be on the USB flash drive. In Windows in Device Manager, after the Windows installation, there will be two entries in Storage Controllers, one for each driver.

Are you familiar with loading the drivers during a Windows installation? Be sure to read the AMD RAID documentation in the manual from your board's download page. Be sure to ONLY use the section for the X399 chipset, the manual covers both Ryzen and X399 systems:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X399%20Taichi/index.asp#Manual" rel="nofollow - http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X399%20Taichi/index.asp#Manual

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 10:23am
Thanks for the infos and reply.

I did use the F6 drivers from Asrock drivers section.
The drivers must be loaded in 2 separate actions. Windows does see the raid partition but refuse to install on it. When I do refresh there a comment below the drive selection windows indicating this drive cannot be use as it is not bootable.

Also juste enabled raid again to create a D drive out of my remaing sata disk and even if i leave my c drive un-raided it disapear from the boot options in the bios.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 11:48am
" rel="nofollow -

Thanks for the infos and reply.

I did use the F6 drivers from Asrock drivers section.
The drivers must be loaded in 2 separate actions. Windows does see the raid partition but refuse to install on it. When I do refresh there a comment below the drive selection windows indicating this drive cannot be use as it is not bootable.

Also juste enabled raid again to create a D drive out of my remaing sata disk and even if i leave my c drive un-raided it disapear from the boot options in the bios.

Sorry but very little information given, so all I have is more questions. We don't know what version of Windows you are using.

Depending upon the version of Windows 10 (??) you are using, there is a bug with earlier, RS1 versions when used with X399. You must set the IOMMU option in the UEFI/BIOS to disabled. This may NOT be the only problem you are having, but applies whether or not you are using a RAID array as the OS drive.

After loading the F6 drivers, did you partition/format the RAID 0 array by clicking the New button in the Custom install screen? Creating the RAID array does not partition or format the RAID volume at all in a way that is usable by Windows.

When you enabled RAID (again? Please explain that, do you mean in both screens as suggested above?) did you Save and Exit the UEFI/BIOS, and then go right back into the UEFI? You must do that to apply the RAID setting.

Which drive disappeared from the boot order, the original (two) drives for the RAID 0 array? If you deleted that RAID 0 array (I'm guessing?) it is not formatted and I would not expect it to be shown in the boot order without any partitions or formatting. If you check the Storage Configuration screen, are the two drives shown there?

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 10:21pm
I can understand the more questions part

Here are my steps
1) storage configuration -?‹sata mode raid
2) save and quit
3) go under raidxpert2
4) array management -??delete all array
5) create new array
A) raid level 0
B) select my 4 sata disk
6) create array
7) save and reboot
Note) note boot device in bios
8) boot on my usb stick containing win 10
Note) created the usb stick from the MS windows 10 download today.
9) select advance install
10) select load driver
11)load driver amd-raid bottom device (rcbottom.inf)
Note) the driver show twice in the select driver to install using the top one
12) once loaded returned to where do you want to install windows, no drive available for install
13) select load driver
14) selecting amd-raid conrroller storport (rcraid.inf)
15) drive is now available
Note) there is a yellow triangle with a ! : windows can't be installed on this drive. (Show details)

Details:
Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

Even if I create a partition and format the partition the message stay the same and i cannot continue the installation.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 10:25pm
Pape, we need much more information.  Please post your specifications as I have in my signature.  Include your OS (if W10, 1607,1703 or 1709, 64 bit).  Also tell us how you created your RAID - BIOS or Windows.  Is you RAID usable-just can't install on it.  Please give us the error message.  Enjoy, John.

-------------
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 1:18am
Pape, I see two things to try.  It looks like you did not do Step F. on page 11.
Quote F. Go to Boot CSM and set "Launch Storage OpROM policy" to <UEFI only>.

I also do not know why you and parsec are not loading all three drivers in the RAID driver package.
So, I recommend that you set CSM as requested and Load all three drivers.  I am not as mystified as a lot of people about drivers.  I strongly suspect if drivers are loaded and not needed, there is no problem.  When you get a minute, please look into "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository".  There are about a gazillion drivers in there that almost no one uses.  They just sit there using space until their VendorID/DeviceID is requested.  If you DLed W10 (Media Creation tool) recently, you should have 1709.16299), exactly what you want.  Please hit Windows key-R and type winver.  You will see an About window for Windows.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 1:21am
As mentioned above: in bios.
I have a x399 taichi running a 1900
2 X F4-3200c14d-16gfx
Drives are samsung 850 evo and ocz vertex 4
The current win 10 pro from the download tool is dating from 9/27/2017 ver 1709

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 1:38am
Did try to load the extra driver to no avail.
I got a idle lsi 9260 I'll try to set it as primary OS boot and see if i can successfully use a raid from the raidxpert2 as secondary drive.

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 4:53am
" rel="nofollow - Thanks, Pape.  How about the CSM setting?  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 8:31am
Oups forgot to include the detail about cms.
It get set properly when i enable raid. Did check it the first couples time.

I have to say this bios is not user friendly at all.
Wish asrock included more detail in the description

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 9:13am
" rel="nofollow - parsec, where did you learn this?
Quote Booting from SATA RAID is supported on X399...

Thanks and enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 9:50am
So i got the lsi going but no dice.
Each time i enable raidxpert 2 all boot device go away including the lsi.installing windows while in this mode is imposible on the lsi also, same issue as raidxpert2.

Interesting the lsi switch from legacy to uefi and become available inside the bios just below raidxpert2.

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 10:38am
So found the issue.
Need to use the uefi windows boot.
By default the bios will boot the legacy version of the windows install.
Need to do f11 and select the uefi partition of windows.

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

parsec, where did you learn this?
Quote Booting from SATA RAID is supported on X399...

Thanks and enjoy, John.

Why wouldn't it be? Booting an OS from a SATA RAID array is hardly exotic or new.

The AMD RAID Installation Guide (the file download is called English.pdf) on either of ASRock's X399 board's Manual page describes the creation of a SATA or NVMe drive RAID array, and includes the steps to install Windows 10 on either type of RAID array.

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/RAID/X399%20Taichi/English.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/RAID/X399%20Taichi/English.pdf

The description for X399 boards (also applies to Ryzen X370, B350, and A320 chipset boards) begins on page 11. I have never seen any documentation that states RAID arrays cannot be used as the OS drive on Ryzen or X399. That would be quite a mistake by AMD if that was the case.

On my Ryzen PC, not using an AMD RAID array as the OS drive, my RAID data drive only has two Device Manager entries under Storage Controllers for the RAID Bottom and RAID Controller devices, but not a third one as you brought to my attention. It seems the "RAID Config Device" device/driver is necessary when the RAID array is used as the OS drive. I'm not working with an X399 system unfortunately, just my experience with AMD RAID with my Ryzen PC, and the available documentation.

The guide describes loading the three drivers during the Windows installation in three specific steps. The drivers in the AMD64 folder must be used for Windows 10 64 bit. The AMD RAID Bottom device driver is loaded first, then the AMD RAID Controller storport driver is second, and the AMD RAID Config Device driver last. I would use this order of driver installation at all times, just in case.

The guide states that configuring the CSM option is not necessary when using SATA RAID arrays as the OS drive. That only applies to NVMe SSDs. But then we see the title of the section for X399 calling in a "UEFI RAID Configuration..." on page 11. It won't hurt anything to configure the CSM option as you have done previously.

Pape, question for you, how did you create the USB installation drive? Some people have problems with the USB flash drives created with the Media Creation Tool. Normally that happens when the CSM option is configured for UEFI booting.

Did you ever check the boot order when booting from the USB installation drive? You may find there are two entries in the boot order, one with the prefix "UEFI:", and another with prefix "RAID:". Usually the "UEFI:" entry is first in the boot order. Just be sure it is the first entry, since that will cause the UEFI boot loader to be used. You could try the "RAID:" entry which would cause a Legacy type installation, but the confusion in the manual may only apply for NVMe SSDs.

Given all the attempts you have done with your drives, when you try again I would create the RAID 0 array over again, deleting it first to be sure the drives are clean.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2017 at 11:31am
That is the thing, boot order was bios than uefi.
When the LSI became uefi I realised my storage was now uefi and I needed to make my installation in accordance.

I tryed to disable uefi storage under csm but this moved the raidxpert2 outside of the bios and did not notice any configuration promp will look at it more tomorrow as I'm not ready yet to jump in the win10 bandwagon.

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 4:47am
parsec, I agree with you, but only via an implication.  There are no such explicit words that a SATA RAID can be used as a boot device.  I also cannot find
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

The guide states that configuring the CSM option is not necessary when using SATA RAID arrays as the OS drive.

...as I'm not ready yet to jump in the win10 bandwagon...
Are you not running W10 as you stated earlier?
In the AMD Gaming Blog the instructions include this:

Q: Is your NVMe RAID solution bootable?

A: Yes. Create the RAID array with the RAID management menu(s) in your BIOS, then proceed with Windows installation. Please ensure that your system is in pure UEFI mode by installing Windows with Compatibility Support Module (CSM) disabled in your BIOS. You will also need the https://community.amd.com/external-link.jspa%3curl=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport.amd.com%2Fen-us%2Fkb-articles%2FPages%2FNVMe-RAID-Support-for-the-AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-platform.aspx" rel="nofollow - NVMe RAID driver on a flash drive , as the Windows installer will ask for it before your array can be detected.

My bottom line is the AMD X399 RAID is a big mess.  I am at a loss to give Pape reasonable instructions of how to proceed.  I do strongly recommend that you (Pape) open an ASRock ticket and ask if  a SATA RAID can be used for a boot device and if so to please be provided instructions of how to do it.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 7:28am
Easier to troubleshoot using a supported OS.
Do i want to run win 10 every day, not if i can avoid it.

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 9:55am
Interesting, Pape.  You still do not say what OS you ARE running, but I infer it is NOT W10.  There is a true incongruence here:
https://postimages.org/" rel="nofollow">
I received this in response to a ticket I opened - all explained here:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6072&KW=rs2&PID=36668&title=resolved-by-tsd1950x-will-not-boot-media-comp#36668
The image is saying that Threadripper supports W10 RS2 64 bit ONLY.   In my users manual and probably yours:

Quote OS ??Microsoft® Windows® 10 64-bit
* Windows® 10 RS2 is supported.
* For the updated Windows® 10 driver, please visit ASRock?™s
website for details: http://www.asrock.com

Please display all your system specifications including OS and post them in your signature so we can see them on all your posts.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 10:52am
I do give all this detail in a previous post in this thread, i also give what was wrong and how i fixed it.

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2017 at 11:51am

So found the issue.

That is the thing, boot order was bios than uefi.
When the LSI became uefi I realised my storage was now uefi and I needed to make my installation in accordance.

I tryed to disable uefi storage under csm but this moved the raidxpert2 outside of the bios and did not notice any configuration promp will look at it more tomorrow as I'm not ready yet to jump in the win10 bandwagon.

Great, glad that was apparently the only issue! Disabling UEFI storage is a mistake, you must have that enabled.

Plus I was wrong about not needing UEFI booting for SATA RAID on X399 systems. Let me show you why I made that mistake, back to the infamous page 11 of the X399 RAID manual:

Notice steps E and F, which are separate steps. Step E is only needed for NMVe RAID. I had included in my mind steps E and F into one step for NVMe RAID. That was the mistake!

AMD had a UEFI shell command line interface for their a few of their newer but pre-Ryzen chipsets, and now that makes sense.

I am glad I mentioned the two entries for booting the Windows installation media, and then you notice that for the LSI RAID utility.

Personally, I have been using FULL UEFI booting for years now, which means the CSM option is set to Disabled. That is the equivalent of setting all the CSM sub-options to UEFI Only. Which is one reason my RAID array works on my Ryzen X370 board, although I did not realize it until now.

With CSM enabled, but the Launch Storage OpROM Policy option to UEFI Only, you will then just use the AMD UEFI Storage Option ROM, and the Windows EFI boot loader when you use the "UEFI:" entry for the installation media. Apparently the Ryzen and X399/TR board's UEFI only have an EFI storage Option ROM in them, no Legacy Option ROM at all, or the EFI Option ROM is all that works with these platform's RAID.

Intel will be completely abandoning the use of the CSM BIOS emulation in their boards starting in 2020, so finally all UEFI booting!  Thumbs Up  Kiss your old video cards goodbye (more then four - five years old), they won't work in full UEFI booting, no GOP support. Intel's iGPU has supported GOP since Sandy Bridge, since 2011.

You MUST be in UEFI mode or RAIDXpert2 will NOT appear in the UEFI/BIOS as an option. Intel boards are the same way, their IRST utility appearing as an option in the UEFI/BIOS only occurs when using UEFI mode. There is no way you can change that. Legacy BIOS firmware cannot begin to do the things that UEFI firmware can, such as allow you to run programs like the RAID utilities from within the firmware.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 10:06am
" rel="nofollow -

So found the issue.

Pape, please answer two questions for me, I've been receiving some questions about this topic, booting an OS/Windows 10 from an AMD X399 SATA RAID array. Some people were not sure about this after reading your posts.

You were able to install Windows 10 on an AMD X399 SATA RAID 0 array, which booted and ran fine after the installation, correct?

The main problem you had was not setting the CSM option, Launch Storage Op ROM Policy to UEFI Only. After doing that, and loading the three AMD RAID drivers, you were able to complete the Windows 10 installation, correct?

I believe all this is what you told us, but just want to be sure. Thank you very much!

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 10:52am
My issue was not the csm, my issue was to let the bios select my boot device for installing windows.
See, windowns 10 have 2 boot options:
Legacy mode
UEFI

By default the bios boot the lagcy bios even if all my bios setting are set to UEFI.

To resolve this issue I used the F11 key: select boot device and selected UEFI windows 10.

So now you know trying to install a legacy windows 10 on a UEFI storage result in windows complaining about boot issue.

To your question 2 yes i was able to have windows 10 boot from a x399 raidxpert2 array. I currently have 2 array setup as C and D.

As a extra note my attempt to have win 7 run the raid software failled so AMD is not joking about the raid needing win 10. All the rest of the system do actually run perfectly good on 7 even if not "supported" if you attempt to install win 7 on the taichi x399 make sure you use a dvd and a ps2 keyboard as the beta usb media creator did not work for me.

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 12:31pm

My issue was not the csm, my issue was to let the bios select my boot device for installing windows.
See, windowns 10 have 2 boot options:
Legacy mode
UEFI

By default the bios boot the lagcy bios even if all my bios setting are set to UEFI.

To resolve this issue I used the F11 key: select boot device and selected UEFI windows 10.

So now you know trying to install a legacy windows 10 on a UEFI storage result in windows complaining about boot issue.

To your question 2 yes i was able to have windows 10 boot from a x399 raidxpert2 array. I currently have 2 array setup as C and D.

As a extra note my attempt to have win 7 run the raid software failled so AMD is not joking about the raid needing win 10. All the rest of the system do actually run perfectly good on 7 even if not "supported" if you attempt to install win 7 on the taichi x399 make sure you use a dvd and a ps2 keyboard as the beta usb media creator did not work for me.

Thank you very much for the confirmation!

Yes, the situation with Windows 7 and the requirement for a USB 3.0 driver to be added to a Windows 7 installation media in order to use USB devices during the installation is a known issue with the latest AMD and Intel chipset boards.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 4:49am
" rel="nofollow - I am glad that you are running to your satisfaction.  I hope you will please answer some questions for me:

1. One or both arrays created with RAIDXpert2 in the BIOS?
2. Is SATA Mode set to RAID?
3. Is NVMe RAID mode Disabled?
4. What is the setting of CSM?
5. Did you DL the RAID drivers from AMD or ASRock?
6. Did you install W10 from a USB using F11 to boot "UEFI-USB"?
7. Have you tried RAIDXpert2 in W10?

Thanks much and enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 9:23am
1) both in bios
2) storage controller is set to raid
3) disabled
4) storage is set to uefi only other are currently legacy
5) asrock
6) yes
7) no and not planning as i got all i need in bios

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 9:44am
Great, thanks much, Pape.  I used Windows based RAIDXpert in older AMD systems but it was to manage RAID5s which are no longer supported.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net