Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6921
Printed Date: 04 May 2024 at 11:43pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New Ryzen Build Issues
Posted By: zfournier
Subject: New Ryzen Build Issues
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 5:27am
So this is my first time build and I seem to be having plenty of problems.

Case is a Rosewill Nautalis
Mobo is Ab350M
Ryzen 7 1700
corsair cx650m
zotac 1060 mini 6gb
g.skill flareX f4-2400c15d-16gfxr

ram is in slot a2/b2

I seem to have alot of freezing issues. Ive done a few windows installs and I am currently trying to do a new one right now. The seem to always freeze up in the getting files ready for installation.

When I do get windows installed the system seems pretty unstable, I usually can not do more then a few tasks before the system freezes up.

There always seems to be some issues with getting windows updated correctly aswell, and ive had the problem with the disk utilization at 100%

the system just does not seem stable at all and I do not understand what or why this is happening. As im writing this the windows install just froze at 45% and now i have to do a manual restart.

ive been trying to get this build to work for 2 weeks now and its very frustrating!

Replies:
Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 6:46am
" rel="nofollow - What hard disks/SSDs are you using? Have you tried moving them to different ports/M.2 slots?

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 7:01am
The HDD is an old one out of my last pc. I thought it might have caused issues but since ignored that. is a seagate HDD baracudda 7200 that and the optical drive are the only 2 things i kept.

I just tried moving the hdd sata to a different port on the mobo.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 7:14am
just did a brand new install of windows 10, already freezing up at welcome screen....

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 7:36am
" rel="nofollow - Try disconnecting the optical drive and booting again. Sometimes optical drives cause issues (seems to be model specific). You may also want to try different SATA cables, if they are old they could be damaged internally.  

I highly recommend picking up an SSD, it will improve responsiveness dramatically as well as cut down boot and install times.

Also, of you have not already, clear CMOS. It often helps with a fresh build that is having issues.

Use this method:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal

Good luck and don't worry, we will get you up and running. I will check in on your thread again tomorrow, I am off to bed as it is 2am here.

-------------

Posted By: MisterJ
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 7:38am
" rel="nofollow - zfournier, please post a complete set of specifications as I have in my signature.  We need to know what architecture and version of W10 you are installing and what BIOS version you have.  Where did your W10 come from and what install media are you using and how was it created?  Please open your BIOS, hit F9 then F10 and see if that helps.  Enjoy, John.

-------------
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 8:20am
" rel="nofollow - Okay so I will unplug the optical drive, and hopefully be able to pick up a SSD tomorrow. I thought it might have been the HDD because like I said it is probably from 06 and has seen along life span.

I got the windows 10 from the media creation tool i think its called? I believe it is the fall creators version. its x64 version as well. using a usb install, and it freezes alot when installing, again made me think that it is the HDD causing problems.

as far as other things that are in your sig that i might not be mentioning...

ab350m pro 4 3.30 bios
HDD 7200 seagate
windows 10 64x
zotac 1060 6gb
g.skill flare x f4-2400c15-16gfxr
corsair cx650m
wraith cooler
ryzen 7 1700

I am not at my comp right now but i will be back at it at 6am est or so.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 8:52am
" rel="nofollow - i just remembered i have a newer laptop with a cracked screen. i will pull the ssd out of that in the morning and try a new install.... or just try and run the windows that is already on there? I know its late but hopefully you guys can give me a direction on which to do! thanks, talk in the am.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 8:56am
zfournier, looks good, thanks.  If you had no problems with the HDD before, I would not think it would pick now to start failing.  If your freezes continue, then remove one of your memory sticks.  If it still fails, then try the other stick - only one.  If it still fails, then try one stick in slot A1, then B1 - again one at a time.  Enjoy, John.

-------------
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 9:01am
well honestly my last computer kind of sh*t the bed, but it very well could have been the HDD failing. Like i said its not exactly promising either way. plus when i did have the comp running it was running at 100% disk use before there were lots of crashing. im not sure if that is just a bug or a fault of the HDD. I have also heard the HDD making lots of noise the other day. maybe im just paranoid but it is the only "old" part of the build lmao. SO i just assume try and eliminate it.

I believe ive tried the ram trick but i will try that aswell tomorrow morning if the new drive doesnt fix the problem.

Hopefullly i can get this thing running cus man i want to play on my new toy!! lmao.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 9:55am
"lots of noise " - sounds like the HDD is a good place to start, zfournier! Good luck and please keep us informed.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 8:09pm
ok so for some reason when i hooked up the windows boot drive it wouldnt boot with the ssd that i took out of the laptop. tried the normal trouble shooting with ram and reset cmos but nothing. then i started it with out the boot drive and windows loaded up.

so doing a full windows reset via windows settings.

wish me luck ill do a follow up.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 8:40pm
got windows reset pretty quickly. installing drivers now.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 9:48pm
so ive got it back up, but right back to the freezing now.

Posted By: dreadkopp
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:14pm
Interesting. Got a similar machine here:

AB350M Pro4 + 1600X + GTX 1060 . same problems. constant freezing with both windows and linux.

Sorry, no idea for a fix, just leave this here letting you know you are not alone and hoping for some fix.

Fun Fact: this machine was working fine when i build it, but since ~2 weeks just freezes

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:16pm
well i appreciate you putting in your problems as well! hopefully we can find a solution for this. very very frustrating for sure.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:34pm
" rel="nofollow - my windows wont update, using the windows update tool to download the newest version of windows. apparently reseting my windows downloaded an older version. good old microsoft eh?

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 11:53pm
Sorry, zfournier, but installing a copy of an installed W10 from another machine is NOT a good idea.  Until you do a fresh install of W10, I suspect you will have nothing but problems.  Real debug of your freeze problem cannot even start until a fresh copy of W10 is installed.  I recommend you use Windows Media Creation tool and create a USB to install the latest version of W10.  First after W10 install, install the AMD Chip Set drivers from here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download" rel="nofollow - http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
The other drivers get from the manufacturers or ASRock DL page.  I will be away hopefully creating a RAID for my system but should check back in before the day is done.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 2:42am
okay im redownloading the windows media creation tool. ill try and update when i get that done.

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 2:50am
" rel="nofollow - in my case: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6929&title=ab350m-pro4-freezes it might be related to the GPU. do you have another graphics Card at hand that you can test?

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 5:23am
im having issues downloading on to my usb drive now. the drive wont load on 2 different computers, it seems to lock everything up when it is connected. im going to see if i can find a different usb.

ill look at that link about the gpu too

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 6:46am
First rule out the hard disk. By your description it sounds like your drive may be dying. I have had similar symptoms on systems I have repaired that were caused by bad drives.

100% drive usage could be caused by faulty cache on the drive, bad sectors being remapped constantly, read errors the drive is trying to correct etc. When building a new system or even just upgrading the first thing in the bin from the old build should always be the mechanical hard disk (if you have one), particularly if it is more than 5 years old. Mechanical drives are prone to failure, especially Seagate Barracuda drives from the mid 2000s for some reason. I have seen more than a dozen fail shortly after warranty..... My guess would be a bad batch of components or poor design choices in that period. It only seems to have effected the Barracuda line however. 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 9:53am
okay cool. i just went and got a new thumb drive, downloading the window creation tool on to it right now.

tomorrow morning ill try booting and doing a clean install on the ssd installed.

wish me luck Cry

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 10:45pm
zfournier, no, no, do not DL anything onto the USB stick.  DL the Media Creation Tool to your system (Desktop) and execute it.  Plug your new USB stick in and tell the tool to create a USB stick and point to the new Stick.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 3:55am
yes thats what i did.

so i have the new windows on the computer, clean install. downloading drivers.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 4:00am
im already experencing freezes. the first one started after i did the drivers for my video card.

windows update is completely caught up but im randomly freezing.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 4:12am
" rel="nofollow - Sorry, zfournier.  Do you have or can borrow another video card?  I would suggest you get down to a minimal system - one memory stick, minimum video card etc.  I suggest you open a ticket with ASRock support and start talking about an RMA.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 4:17am
If the system is stable without the video drivers installed I would hold off on RMAing anything. I would try using DDU (Display Driver uninstaller) in safe mode and see what happens when you reboot. If the system is stable then try with different display driver versions and see if any are stable for you. 

If you have not already, clear CMOS and see if it helps stability.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 5:38am
for me the freezes / crashes happen in Linux using nouveau as well:

This is a dmesg log up until freeze:

https://hastebin.com/opubojejiz.go" rel="nofollow - https://hastebin.com/opubojejiz.go

If your problem is the same as mine DDU and other driver version will not help you i guess.

Not sure if related to the GPU or the Motherboard OR the CPU.

My next attempt is switching the GPU from a 1060 to a 1050ti. if this does not help a new mainboard it is :/

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 7:31am
i tried uninstalling the drivers, but i will try again tomorrow. ive pretty much tried everything at this point. clearing cmos, everything it just freezes up.

im ordering a new mobo anyways unfortunately. ill try some more trouble shooting tomorrow tho anyways.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net