Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7022
Printed Date: 19 May 2024 at 2:53am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: X399 Taichi & RAID & Win10 Install
Posted By: ShushDog
Subject: X399 Taichi & RAID & Win10 Install
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 7:06am
Here is another "I can't get Windows to Install RAID on this MB" thread, sorry.

I have a new X399 Taichi, Ryzen 1950X and am trying to install Windows 10 Pro from a Full Version, Retail USB. I am installing the OS (or trying to) on two 500GB SATA SSDs. I am on BIOS version 1.5.

Here is what I've done:
  • I have followed the instructions found  http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/RAID/Fatal1ty%20X399%20Professional%20Gaming/English.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/RAID/Fatal1ty%20X399%20Professional%20Gaming/English.pdf .
  • There is only one RAID 1 array, consisting of both of the SSDs; SATA Mode is set to "RAID"; the Boot->CSM and set ?œLaunch Storage OpROM policy??is configured to UEFI.
  • I have downloaded the RAID drivers from the BIOS' "Easy Raid Installer".
  • I have also disabled IOMMU in the BIOS (although that took days to figure out), so I've cleared that hurdle.
  • When I boot up the computer with the USB drive inserted, the Windows 10 installer comes up (after asking me if I want to install 32-bit or 64-bit). I finally arrive at the "Where do you want to install Windows?". I follow the directions and install the 3 drivers in the correct order.
The Problem:
However at the end, there is a yellow exclamation point saying "Windows can't be installed on drive 2 partition 1. (Show details)". Click on that says "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

Troubleshooting performed so far:
  1. I have tried to click on "New" (it is no longer an available option). No change.
  2. I have clicked on "Format", said "OK" to the warning. No change.
  3. I have deleted and reconstructed the array. On the second time, I kept the Media Type (I can't recall the exact language) to "Both" instead of previously selecting "SSD". No change.
  4. I have followed the solution found by user Pape from the following thread:  http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp%3FTID=6722&PN=3&title=x399-taichi-storage" rel="nofollow - http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp%3FTID=6722&PN=3&title=x399-taichi-storage , which was to force it to boot from the UEFI partition of the USB drive. This results in a boot error screen titled "Windows Boot Manager" saying that Windows failed to start, the file is \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD, Status: 0xc000000f, Info: The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.
Please, please help! This is SOOOOO frustrating. Thank you for the help!

-------------
X399 Taichi - Ryzen 1950X - 16 GB DDR4 3000 - GTX 1080 Ti

Replies:
Posted By: MisterJ
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 9:09am
" rel="nofollow - ShushDog, I am really curious why you are running such an old version of BIOS?  Please post a more complete set of your specifications in your signature as I have.  Now for my recommendations:
1. Install the latest BIOS - 2.00 at this writing.
2. DL drivers and instructions from the ASRock pages for your board.
3. See my posts at the end of this thread: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6859&title=x399-fatality-1950x-raid-problems
4. Read the instructions and ask questions.

And questions: 
1. Are your SSDs SATA or NVMe?
2. Where did your W10 USB stick come from?
3. Have you read any of the many RAID threads here, including ones I have contributed to?
4. Is there any chance that you will want to step up to an NVMe RAID if you current drives are not?

I do not understand why you would want to create a RAID on the old BIOS which will not survive an update to 1.70 or higher.  If you upgrade to higher than 1.50, you will have to save your data and create a new RAID.
Enjoy, John.

-------------
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 9:45am
Hi! Thank you for replying! Here are the answers to your questions:
0) I just bought the MB new from Newegg.com and have been using the BIOS version that it was installed with. (Why 1.5)
1) SATA
2) Retail - Frys actually.
3) I have read three of them, IIRC. 2 of them seemed to have ended in success when the Win10 USB was used as a UEFI boot device and the other was about ghost drives which I don't have currently.
4) No I don't plan on upgrading to NVMe.
5) I was not planning on upgrading my BIOS, so any consequences from upgrading BIOS was not part of my calculus up to this point.

One important note: I am trying to create a RAID array for the boot drive, i.e., I want my two disks to be my C:\ drive. I just wanted to make sure my intentions were clear in case there is something flawed here.

Here's what I'm going to go try:
  • I will go update the BIOS to 2.0.
  • I have already downloaded "SATA Floppy Image" and "AMD RAID driver" from the download pages and I will try to install Win10 with both, "SATA Floppy Image" first. (I already tried that once and I got BSOD'd in the Win10 installer when loading the 2nd driver.)
  • I skimmed over the post you linked, but it doesn't seem like what was going on there applied to my situation, but perhaps I am missing something.
I will post back with the results of the BIOS upgrade and SATA Floppy Image drivers!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 10:13am
Ok, here is an update:

1. I've updated the BIOS to 2.0. Everything seems fine and stable.
  2. I've tried the Win10 install with all 3 sets of drivers, none of which eliminated Windows installer error. (1 set from the CD via the "Easy RAID Installer", 2 sets from the ASRock download page.)

-------------

Posted By: SoniC
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 2:48pm
" rel="nofollow - Just a tip - never use the drivers provided by the manufacturer on his website (and never ever ever use those from the CD - these are even older). Go directly to AMD website and download the latest chipset and raid drivers. 
Also download the latest W10 iso from Microsoft. The old one IS NO GOOD read here ->
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6615&title=important-windows-10-information-for-x399-users
Plus on your place I would make sure to install W10 in UEFI mode (google).

-------------
-=SoniC=-
TR x1950, ASRock X399 FPG (v. 3.33A), G.Skill 3200 CL14 64GB, Enermax LiqTech 280,
AMD Vega 64 LC, 10x HDDs (mostly Hitachi), 2x M.2 (970EVO,960Pro), Xonar DX, AX1200i PSU

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 12:45am
" rel="nofollow - Sonic,
Quote ...never use the drivers provided...
is usually great advise but not here!  Always use the ASRock drivers from the MB pages for RAID.  ASRock will claim that they have not modified them but they have.  It is the same with the Aquania drivers.  As far as I know this is an X399 thing and not general.  If you use the AMD RAID drivers, you will see a yellow triangle with an ! in the middle.  Scares me so I use the ASROCk posted ones and they work fine.

ShushDog, you got ahead of me.  The two sets of drivers on the ASRock page are identical.  There is an additional file in one, but the driver files are the same.  Please do this:
1. Boot into BIOS, hit F9 then F10
2. Boot into BIOS, set SATA mode to RAID
3. Set CSM to disable
4. F10
5. boot into BIOS
6. use RAIDXpert2 (RX2) to delete all drives you want included in the RAID and any
    arrays shown
7. Create array, selecting each of your drives, one by one
8. F10
9. Boot into Boot Menu (F11)
10. Select install USB (BTW, where did it come from?).  You should see UEFI only version.
11. Install the RAID drivers in this order: 
   1-rcbottom - all your drives in the RAID will disappear
   2-rcraid - you will see your one RAID
   3-rccfg - you are good to go!
12. Install W10 on the RAID.
13. Enjoy.
Please remember that you can get a screenshot in BIOS using F12 with a FAT formatted USB plugged.
Enjoy, John.

-------------
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Posted By: SoniC
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 12:56am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

It is the same with the Aquania drivers. 
I am using the stock drivers from the beginning -- you just need the ones for the proper chipset.
Works perfectly for me
As far as I know this is an X399 thing and not general.  If you use the AMD RAID drivers, you will see a yellow triangle with an ! in the middle.  Scares me so I use the ASROCk posted ones and they work fine.
this I didn't knew (not using RAID by myself). Would be best to investigate it further and adopt/adjust the changes to the newest AMD driver. I cannot honestly believe that they will mod the drivers cause then they would need to re-sign the drivers with their own certificate... and last time I took a look this was not touched. 

-------------
-=SoniC=-
TR x1950, ASRock X399 FPG (v. 3.33A), G.Skill 3200 CL14 64GB, Enermax LiqTech 280,
AMD Vega 64 LC, 10x HDDs (mostly Hitachi), 2x M.2 (970EVO,960Pro), Xonar DX, AX1200i PSU

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 3:44am
Sonic, I do not know what you mean by "stock drivers" and "proper chipset".  I DLed all the drivers from the Aquantia site and they are all the same no matter the product version, but they are not the same as the ASRock drivers.  If you will open the RAID driver rcbottom catalog file from AMD and ASRock you will see they have different signers.  The ASRock one is signed by Seagate and it is not signed properly.  I attempted an install on my VM with Safe Boot enabled and install crashed with a signing error.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Posted By: JayB33
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 11:49am
" rel="nofollow - Is there a way to migrate a single NVMe boot Win 10 install to a RAID-0 NVMe install by means of restoring a mirrored copy? My mirroring software of choice is Macrium Reflect.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2017 at 2:46am
" rel="nofollow - JayB33, please post all your specifications as I have in my signature.  Tell us about your RAID to be.  My first thought is that the mirrored copy will not have the RAID drivers and it may not boot.  How  is a mirrored drive restored?  I need to understand much more about your setup and intentions.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2017 at 7:47am

" rel="nofollow - JayB33, please post all your specifications as I have in my signature.  Tell us about your RAID to be.  My first thought is that the mirrored copy will not have the RAID drivers and it may not boot.  How  is a mirrored drive restored?  I need to understand much more about your setup and intentions.  Enjoy, John.

I was hoping there might be a way to enable RAID or some other motherboard setting even though Windows is only installed on 1 NVMe drive and then get the driver installed somehow in Windows, then create a mirror and restore it when the array has been created. Maybe there's a way to force the driver to install before it is even used. My hardware is similar to yours, except I have 2x 960 pro (or three when my third NVMe standoff bolt arrives Sleepy it wasn't in the box) but at the moment RAID isn't turned on and Windows 10 is installed on a single drive.

Maybe I'll just have to set up Windows 10 yet again. Bit frustrating when all that's missing is a small driver.

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2017 at 11:17am
" rel="nofollow - JayB33, you don't just enable RAID, you have to build a RAID array.  I am curious why you did not contact ASRock and ask them to ship you the screw(s) you needed?  I have build two Ryzens on ASRock boards and both were missing a screw.  In both cases they were loose in the Anti-Static bag.  I have been thinking, but need the information I ask for earlier.  What kind of RAID do you want and what is your HW specs?  Also tell me a little about how the mirroring SW work.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2017 at 12:00pm
My specs are:

ThermalTake View 71 TG RGB Case
Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W Power Supply Unit
ASRock X399 Fatal1ty Professional Gaming Motherboard
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X CPU
nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 GPU
TXD416G3600HC18ADC01 - 4x RAM Modules
Samsung 960 Pro - 3x 512 GB NVMe Drives
Samsung 950 Pro - 512 GB SSD
Samsung 940 Pro - 256 GB SSD
Crucial M4 - 256 GB SSD
XSPC Raystorm Neo (AMD sTR4) Chrome CPU Waterblock
AquaComputer Kryographics 1080 Nickel GPU Waterblock
Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis GTS 420 Radiator
Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC 2000 RPM IP67 PWM 140mm - 3x Radiator Fans
ThermalTake Riing 14 RGB - 3x Case Fans
XSPC Photon D5 270 Reservoir
AquaComputer D5 Pump Motor
AquaComputer Aquaero 6 LT Fan Controller
Mayhems XT-1 UV Green Coolant
Mayhems Ultra Clear 16 / 10 Tubing
Bitspower Black Sparkle 16 / 10 Fittings
EK-AF Black Nickel 10MM Ball Valve
Schiit Audio Modi DAC
Schiit Audio Magni Headphone Amplifier
Schiit Audio Loki Hardware Equalizer
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro Headphones
Dali Zensor 1 Speakers
Amptastic Mini 1 Speaker Amplifier
Atacama SL600 Speaker Stands
Steelseries Rival 300 Mouse
Steelseries Dex Mouse Mat

I already did ask ASRock tech support for an m.2 standoff bolt (not a screw, I have all the screws) that's why there's one on the way and I currently haven't set up a RAID array.

In Macrium Reflect you create a Windows PE Rescue Environment Boot USB stick and are able to view / update drivers to be loaded onto that (so that the mirror software can see the RAID drives in order to restore onto them)

So in theory all I have to do is create any RAID out of any drives I'm not booting Windows from, just to get the "driver is not installed" exclamation mark to show up. Then I install the driver in Windows and create the Rescue Media.

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 8:38am
" rel="nofollow - JayB33, looks like to me you would need to create your backup media, create your RAID, then do your Rescue.  When the "Rescue Media Drivers" screen comes up, install the drivers (written to a USB stick earlier) for the RAID and you should be good to go.  Please remember I have not used this application or any of this type.  At least you will have a copy of your original system so you could restore it to a single drive if the RAID method fails and we cannot get it going.  Please see the end of this thread for my procedure on creating a RAID: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6751&PN=2&title=x399hd-not-showing-in-uefi-boot-list-in-raid-mode
Good luck and enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 9:20am
The only problem is that one of the drives I want to RAID has Windows currently installed on it. :P So I'll have to create a RAID with 2 of the drives that don't have anything on just so that I can hopefully install the drivers.

Date Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 9:45am
I had the same situation and just deleted the SSD with W10 and included it in my RAID.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 1:02am
But if I delete it then I can't make a clone of it with the raid drivers on. ;)

If I clone it before I've created the array then the Raid won't show up in Device manager for driver installation. I'm sure you see my predicament.

Date Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 8:43am
JayB33, you are correct!  I failed to tell you how to install the RAID drivers.  DL the RAID drivers from the ASRock site.  Open the folder with the driver files.  Right click each .inf file and click Install.  Each of the three should give a response something like "Install Successful".  This should place all the files in the  "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" directory.  They will be three folders named something like rcbottom.inf_amd64_6bbcc7d1068993a4.  The ending string of numbers will likely be different.  When W10 needs the raid drivers it will get them here. Then clone your C-Disk.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Copy the RAID driver files to a FAT formatted USB stick (8 GB or less) as a standby.  Your Rescue applications looks like it supports loading drivers.

-------------

Posted By: zlobster
Date Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 8:54pm
Sorry for the offtopic, I just couldn't resist! Smile

I love how Jay even posted the friggin mousepad model. Big smile

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm NOT jelly! On the contrary, I'm really happy that someone put that much effort and funds into such a beast. Hope Jay has tons of joy working with it! I know I would!

Carry on with the troubleshooting. Beer

-------------
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 9:14am

JayB33, you are correct!  I failed to tell you how to install the RAID drivers.  DL the RAID drivers from the ASRock site.  Open the folder with the driver files.  Right click each .inf file and click Install.  Each of the three should give a response something like "Install Successful".  This should place all the files in the  "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" directory.  They will be three folders named something like rcbottom.inf_amd64_6bbcc7d1068993a4.  The ending string of numbers will likely be different.  When W10 needs the raid drivers it will get them here. Then clone your C-Disk.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Copy the RAID driver files to a FAT formatted USB stick (8 GB or less) as a standby.  Your Rescue applications looks like it supports loading drivers.

Thanks a lot. This is the info I needed.

Posted By: parsec
Date Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 11:51am
" rel="nofollow - JayB33, a few comments about your goal and situation, you may know all of this already:

You must have at least Windows 10 build 1703 or any RS2 build.

If you single SSD does not have Windows 10 installed with the NVMe RAID mode (not SATA RAID mode) enabled you may have difficulty getting the Windows installation to recognize it needs those three drivers. You'll be creating a Device Manager Storage controllers entry for a device (AMD NVMe RAID controller) that does not (yet) exist. I you can get the driver-less entry in Device Manager as discussed above, great, IMO it will be essential. Windows has all kinds of drivers available for use during an installation, but if the corresponding device does not exist, they will not be used.

You plan on creating the RAID array with the utility in the UEFI/BIOS? That may be your only choice.

Your single 960 Pro Windows installation should be UEFI booting, which is essential for AMD NVMe RAID. That Windows installation should have four partitions on it, which won't all be shown in Disk Management. If you use the diskpart command in a PowerShell window, and list the partitions on that SSD, you should have these partitions:

Recovery 450MB
System  100MB (EFI System Partition)
Reserved  16MB (Windows "protective" MBR partition)
Primary X GB (Primary Partition)

It looks like you have all these partitions on the Windows 10 installation, and it is GPT partitioned. The size of the Recovery partition does not need to be identical to mine, that size is from my Windows 10 installation on a 960 EVO. You must clone all of those partitions to the RAID array.

I hope this works for you. If Macrium can detect the AMD NVMe RAID 0 array, that is one major hurdle behind you. Also, an apparently successful clone can fail to boot, so just be prepared for that. You may want to check the boot order the first time the RAID 0 clone boots, and be sure you know which entry is for the single 960 Pro, they should be identified with the drive name after "Windows Boot Manager".

-------------
http://valid.x86.fr/48rujh" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 1:24am
" rel="nofollow - I received my m.2 standoff from ASRock support (thanks guys). I enabled RAID mode in Storage and NVMe RAID elsewhere in the BIOS. I was then able to boot to windows on a single NVMe drive, even though I had not configured the RAID. I could then install the drivers in Device Manager one by one by selecting the those that had an exclamation mark, updating driver and selecting the directory of the latest AMD Raid drivers.

The only problem I've got now is that my ordinary SATA drives won't show up unless I turn off RAID mode. Any ideas about that? I don't need RAID mode on my SATA drives, only the NVMe drives.

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 2:51am
" rel="nofollow - JayB33, I really do NOT know what you are trying to do!  You need to tell me in detail - keeping me in the dark is not aiding your cause.  Are you trying to build a SATA RAID, or NVMe or both?  If NVMe only, then do not set SATA to RAID, only NVMe RAID to Enabled.  If you are building a SATA RAID or both, I suspect, but am not sure, you will need to set each of your ordinary SATA drives to a RAID Volume array.  Whether you will need to delete the SATA HDD first or not and whether RX2 will format it or not I do not know.  This situation is covered in no instructions that I am aware of, so you must ask AMD and/or ASRock.  Please let me hear.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

EDIT:  Here are the instructions I posted in another thread.  I am running a NVMe 3 SSD RAID0 with W10 plus two old HDDs backup - all fine.  I followed exactly the second set of instructions below.

For SATA array.
2. Boot into BIOS, set SATA mode to RAID
3. Set CSM to disable
4. F10
5. boot into BIOS
6. use RAIDXpert2 (RX2) to delete all drives you want included in the RAID and any
    arrays not needed
8. F10
10. Select install USB.  You should see UEFI only version.
13. Enjoy.

If you are creating an NVMe RAID:

2. Boot into BIOS, in PBS set NVMe RAID to Enabled
3. Set CSM to disable
4. F10
5. boot into BIOS
6. use RX2 to delete all drives you want included in the RAID and any
    arrays not needed
8. F10
10. Select install USB.  You should see UEFI only version.
13. Enjoy.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 5:23am
" rel="nofollow - I'm trying to create a RAID-0 of my three Samsung 960 Pro NVMe drives and leave my other three SATA drives as single drives. Windows is already installed on one of the NVMe drives, so I have to clone it whilst it already has the RAID drivers installed and then restore the mirror when the RAID-0 array has been created.

I have now successfully installed the RAID drivers simply by enabling RAID in the BIOS' Storage options (without creating an array) and then manually installing them in Device Manager, but I cannot see my standard SATA drives in Windows when I enable RAID mode and they reappear when I re-enable AHCI. My first thought is that the SATA drives are configured as MBR rather than GPT and maybe this is why they are not appearing. It will take some work to copy everything off and then restore the contents of each drive once formatted as GPT. Do you have a theory as to why the SATA drives disappear?

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 5:44am
If I know one thing it's this - GPT and MBR are partitioning schemes. They have little to do with the underlying physical protocols like SATA, NVMe, etc.

If you're seeing your drives in Device Manager and in Disk Management, then it doesn't really matter how exactly your HDDs are partitioned. From Disk Management you can always re-partition them to your liking.

-------------
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 5:50am
Well my SATA drives formatted as MBR are initialized and contain data, but they become invisible to Windows when I enable RAID in the BIOS, whereas my NVMe drives, which are formatted as GPT, can still boot and are visible in Windows when RAID is enabled. Nothing is in an array at the moment. I haven't touched RaidXpert

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 6:00am
I see. What do you see in Disk Management? Start it by right-clicking Win icon, then click on it once it appears in the menu.

I'm also sure that if your SATA HDDs contains data, you can't simply put them in RAID and retain that data. When creating a new RAID array all disks will be wiped first.

I've seen you put tons of $$$ in your build and it really hurts me when I see you struggle. I don't have enough experience with soft RAID, though. Maybe if you could get me the same build as yours, I'd be able to troubleshoot first-hand! Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 6:09am
" rel="nofollow - Here is what I found for my Taichi: http://asrock.nl/downloadsite/Manual/RAID/X370%20Taichi/English.pdf

It appears to be the same for X399 as well: http://asrock.nl/downloadsite/Manual/RAID/X399%20Taichi/English.pdf

Maybe it will be helpful for you too?

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 7:11am
JayB33, I responded very clearly.  Set SATA mode to AHCI and leave it!  You do not need it if you are building a NVMe array.  Please read my instructions above for building an NVMe RAID.  DO NOT worry about your SATA HDDs being MBR/GPT.  One of mine is MBR and one is GPT.  I would like they all be GPT but do not want to save/restore the data.  Pay no attention to RAID information concerning any boards but X399!  It is quite different.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 7:18am
Oh, I thought you had to enable RAID mode in storage no matter what.

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 5:48pm
To be able to boot my Rescue media at all, I had to disable IOMMU. While I was in the BIOS I decided to disable CSM at the same time, since you recommended it. I couldn't post after I disabled both of those options. Actually I disabled CSM first, saved and restarted then disabled IOMMU. I received an 0C error code (IIRC) and I had to reset CMOS. Then I went back and reconfigured everything and just turned off IOMMU without disabling CSM. That worked and I have now gotten as far as loading my Rescue media, which would not load without disabling IOMMU. I'm not sure if it was a bug or anomaly, but I'm wary of recreating the circumstances behind the error. I'd hoped to disable them both to eliminate any boot errors and for a quicker boot.

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2018 at 11:08pm
" rel="nofollow - JayB33, I suspect you are seeing a Rescue disk bug.  Perhaps their disk is based on WinPE (Windows Pre-install Environment).  Just like full W10, it must be version 1703 or higher to work on TR.  I use WinPE and had the same problem when I first tried to install W10 on my X399.  I suggest you tell the Rescue vendor and ask them to fix it.  Here is a link to the debug codes: http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=16017
Not helpful - still Reserved and you will need to ask ASRock. Why are you messing with IOMMU?  If you are using W10 version 1703 or higher, you do not need to alter it.  Please leave it set to Default and Upgrade your W10 to the latest (1709).  Please leave CSM disabled.  I think my system boots faster with it that way and AMD says, "Disable CSM."  Looking forward to hearing how your Rescue goes.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 2:05am
I'm messing with IOMMU because I have the latest version of everything and yet the rescue disk still failed to load with it turned on and immediately worked when I switched it off.

I'd love to have both CSM and IOMMU disabled, but last time I had that configuration; no post!

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 2:46am
JayB33, obviously, you have no choice but to adjust the settings so you can boot your rescue disk and restore your W10.  When all is running, then set CSM Disabled and default for IOMMU.  Notify the vendor to correct the problem.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 7:34am
Edit never mind, I definitely can't disable CSM and IOMMU together without an 0E error code. The code is NOT 0C as previously thought.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 9:27am
JayB33,
0E - Microcode not found

This is an SEC code.  I guess you need to ask ASRock what it means.
http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=16017    --- link to AMI debug codes
Can you set CSM as shown?
https://postimages.org/" rel="nofollow">
Please tell me more about where you are in getting your RAID going.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 9:44am
" rel="nofollow - It's complicated because as you know Windows is already installed on one of the drives to be RAIDed, therefore I can't go erasing things with impunity. I'm grateful for the help you've already provided, and I now understand the general principle in what is required to get RAID going on this board, but I'm reluctant to initialize an actual array unless I can also get the BIOS settings where I want them (CSM and IOMMU disabled) without it bugging out. Let's face it, if I am facing glitches disabling those BIOS settings, who's to say I won't lose data when the array is up and running? I have sent a support ticket to ASRock regarding this issue.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:03am
JayB33, I would suggest you create your backup, remove your current system disk, use your backup to clone your system to another drive and make sure it works.  Assuming it does, create your RAID and install W10 on it and make sure all is OK.  Then using your backup, clone your original system to the RAID.  Enjoy, John.

-------------

Posted By: Pape
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by ShushDog ShushDog wrote:

Ok, here is an update:

1. I've updated the BIOS to 2.0. Everything seems fine and stable.
  2. I've tried the Win10 install with all 3 sets of drivers, none of which eliminated Windows installer error. (1 set from the CD via the "Easy RAID Installer", 2 sets from the ASRock download page.)

You try to install a legacy windows to a UEFI disk.
When you select the boot device for installation look closer you will see 2 usb install of windows, use the UEFI one (aka the other one).

Posted By: underthedog
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by JayB33 JayB33 wrote:

My hardware is similar to yours, except I have 2x 960 pro (or three when my third NVMe standoff bolt arrives Sleepy it wasn't in the box) but at the moment RAID isn't turned on and Windows 10 is installed on a single drive.

Maybe I'll just have to set up Windows 10 yet again. Bit frustrating when all that's missing is a small driver.

You too? A bit ridiculous.   Same thing with my board; the third NVMe slot looks like it completely got overlooked by anyone doing any sort of inspection.

-------------
ASRock X399 Taichi AMD
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16G DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 C16 Quad Channel
RX-580 8GB GPU
EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80 Plus Gold
WD Black 512GB NVMe m.2 PCIe Gen-3

Posted By: scoobiee
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 8:56pm
just turned off IOMMU and that let me use my AOMEI Backupper boot disk.
Not sure why that allows the AOMEI Backupper to boot but thanks for the info.

-------------
Scooby

Posted By: Chelosantoto
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 11:26am
hola buenas noches, necesito ayuda no puedo instalar ninguna versión de windows en mi x399 taichi.

-------------
ASROCK X399 TAICHI, TR 1950X, RAID0 2xSamsung SSD 970 EVO, corsair 2X16GB LPX 3200MHZ, LINUX UBUNTU , CM 1200W GOLD, Enfriador de CPU IDCOLING 240X TR4, Radeon RX570, BIOS 2.00, 2xSSDs GIGABYTE 240GB

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net