Printed Date: 10 May 2024 at 8:17am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: A320M Pro 4 no post after reboot
Posted By: mjinglis
Subject: A320M Pro 4 no post after reboot
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 4:03am
" rel="nofollow - Hi,

Im having problems with my ASRock A320M Pro4, 

In general the system works fine, however frequently on reboot from Windows the system sits with a blank screen and no post.

Whilst up it is fine and stable, however on a windows update restart etc it will just sit on blank screen, monitor is not powered up so im assuming the graphics card is not running.

There are no motherboard beeps and Windows thinks it has shutdown the system as far as i can tell.

Im running the latest BIOS and have tried a CMOS reset but it still happens.

Anyone have any suggestions? 

im running :

Windows 10 Creators
ASRock A320 Pro4
Ryzen 3 2200
8GB Crucial DDR4 2400
1050 GTX Graphics Card

Replies:
Posted By: MisterJ
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 4:35am
" rel="nofollow - mjinglis, please post your BIOS/UEFI version.  I assume you do not have a speaker to listen for beeps.  Please get one and tell us what the beep code is.  Does all 8GB of your memory show in W10 Task manager?   Enjoy, John.

-------------
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 4:41am
Running BIOS 4.50

I do have a speaker and there are no beeps whatsoever (i know the speaker works as when i go into the BIOS when it works, i get one beep).

Windows 10 is showing all 8GB memory in the task manager and system properties.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 5:30am
mjinglis, I suggest you give Beta BIOS/UEFI 4.63 a go.  Enjoy, John.

-------------
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 4:03am
Well it doesn't fail to post any more on reboot.

Now the whole system freezes up randomly after a period of hours.

Only thing that has changed is the BIOS... Its made it worse!

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 4:35am
" rel="nofollow - Sorry you have a new problem now, mjinglis.  It does not have to be a Beta BIOS/UEFI problem, but you can always go back.  I assume you were running for much longer than it takes to hang now?  If your memory is two sticks, please remove one and see how it goes.  If it continues to hang, please try the other.  Please let us hear the results.  Enjoy, John. 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 4:43am
Thanks for your help,

No it runs for less time,

I have tried switching out the ram altogether with known good ram and it still has this behaviour.

I've tried a different operating system, a different power supply, a different graphics card and a different boot drive, none of them fixed it.

Given it will run for 24 hours on a benchmarking test, it doesn't seem like a hardware issue, but likewise since it happens on a different operating system it doesn't seem like software, so i have come down to motherboard or BIOS

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 5:11am
mjinglis, sounds like you have done a good testing job.  Please open an ASRock ticket and see what they think.  I had a bad X370 MB (required RMA) that hung when memory was in slot A1 or A2.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 2:06am
Given up i've tried everything, 

One thing is for sure 4.6 is awful firmware, system crashes all the time, i've gone back to 4.50 and raised a support ticket, something is fundamentally wrong.

Less than impressed with ASRock so far

Posted By: stree
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 2:10am
" rel="nofollow - Could it be a powerplan issue?  I know it cause problems for me ( and still does)  and wifi is another suspect area. try disabling in BIOS

-------------
ASRock X370-ITX BIOS 4.50
R5 2600    Cryorig C7
EVGA GTX 950 75w
2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 2933
960Evo M.2 256GB, Firecuda 1TB
Win 10 Pro 64 1803
G-Unique Archdaemon 300 Watt
Lian-li Q21B

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 2:17am
A320M Pro4 doesn't have wifi but im on a

I've been messing with PowerPlan but to no avail, installing AMD's, using default, messing with it, still crashes.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 3:38am
I've given up and got a replacement coming from Amazon, hopefully its not a fundamental problem with the A320M Pro4

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 12:04am
Now on my 2nd A320M Pro 4 and after a period of stability, its started doing the exact same thing.

I've replaced everything in the setup to no avail, the problem seems to be going into idle state, the system just hangs when its been sat idle for a while, you can run it full pelt as long as you want.

Now considering buying a different motherboard and after talking to ASRock support, this will be the last product of theirs i buy, they are the most unhelpful and uninterested company i have ever dealt with.

Posted By: Solace50
Date Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by mjinglis mjinglis wrote:

" rel="nofollow - Hi,

Im having problems with my ASRock A320M Pro4, 

In general the system works fine, however frequently on reboot from Windows the system sits with a blank screen and no post.

Whilst up it is fine and stable, however on a windows update restart etc it will just sit on blank screen, monitor is not powered up so im assuming the graphics card is not running.

There are no motherboard beeps and Windows thinks it has shutdown the system as far as i can tell.

Im running the latest BIOS and have tried a CMOS reset but it still happens.

Anyone have any suggestions? 

im running :

Windows 10 Creators
ASRock A320 Pro4
Ryzen 3 2200
8GB Crucial DDR4 2400
1050 GTX Graphics Card

are you able to hard reset the machine and boot and this only occurs on softboots such as the windows restart, i had the same issue on the b350 pro4 as well. I also believe this occurred on an ASrock extreme 4 board (which I sold), initially thinking my 290x was defective up until the new ryzen build and same issues persist despite no existing hardware was used. The only workaround is to use stock settings, nothing else. The only thing I configured was my raid array, if i changed ram timings or cpu freq, warmboots would fail to post and there seems to be no remedy.

I highgly doubt i would ever touch another ASrock board at this point, same goes for MSI as their build quality is mega awful and bios chips become corrupted after a few years of usage. Think ill be going to gigabyte from now on.

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 1:17am
It happens cold or warm boots, i'm pretty sure the problem has to do with ASRocks implementation of C states as it crashes on idle, not under load.

Posted By: cristy6100
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 1:30am
The C states are implemented in the AGESA code by AMD, not many people understand that almost all the UEFI settings that have to do with the Chipset/Memory/CPU/GPU/SATA/M.2 are in the AGESA code, SMU code and SouthBridge code provided by AMD, things like Fans, Leds, LAN/WLAN are indeed managed by ASRock, as well as the UEFI layout and layout options provided, some vendors unlock all options from the firmware provided by AMD, some dont, but vendors cant add features that are not available already in the firmware provided by AMD, but in essence they are all linked to the firmware provided by AMD, the only bugs that can occur are in the underlying implementation, as in how ASRock assembles the final UEFI code for the specific motherboard configuration.
These bugs can occur, but if they have to do with the systems listed above they are almost all the time fixed by AMD if the are critical, then AMD will provide updated firmware for motherboard vendors, after that the UEFI will be updated

PS: the only difference between vendors that is vendor specific is the VRM IC chip implementation, for these some motherboard manufacturers implement proprietary code and UEFI layouts. An example of this is Asus "Digi+ VRM" that provides many option to tweak the power deliver processor

Cheers

-------------
Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 2400G | ASRock Fatality X370 ITX/ac UEFI 4.90 | Corsair LPX DDR4 2400@3200 1.35V | Corsair RM650i PSU | CM ML120L AiO Cooler

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 1:38am
" rel="nofollow - In which case how come so many other motherboard manufacturers don't suffer as badly from issues with C States and P States? ASRock have far more people complaining about similar issues.

Im now back using BIOS 3.10 as 4.70 is just awful, the system crashes all the time. 

Im gonna play about the C states settings and try and get it stable, 

What is the point in C States anyway? i can see the point on a laptop where battery power is critical, but on a desktop does it really matter if your PC uses an extra 1v at idle?

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 1:46am
" rel="nofollow - The C-States are not the cause of the issues here, its almost all the time the memory that causes the problems for cold boots. The C states are used to manged all adaptive voltage/frequency for the CPU/GPU, they are beneficial for power consumption reduction and less wear on the silicone and transistor by adjusting both voltage and frequency, we are at 12/14nm the transistor are very sensitive, constant high voltage and frequency will degrade them 100' of times faster than older CPU's using 32-45-65nm fab processes. Long gone are the days of pusing a Fixed frequency and voltage in the CPU, people need to understand and adjust to this.
Also C states partially control Turbo Boost and XFR (Turbo Boost and XFR any version of them are also manged by integrated sensors and dedicated IC's that are integrated in the CPU itself).
On Ryzen its best to manually overclock only if you are doing benchmark runs, for everything else leaving the CPU to manage itself by using Turbo Boost/XFR and its integrated sensors/processors is best, so C States are very important.
The issues with ASRock are because of agressive memory timings implemented by default, that cause many DDR4 memory kits to fail to cold boot, and the AMD provided code is again at fault here, I can boot my memory using all UEFI version compatible with the 2400G without any problems even overclock it to 3333MHz from 2400MHz, so its clear the problem is in the memory kit you are using.

PS: Did I mention that you can also overclock by configuring the P-States? but the current AGESA 1.0.0.1a has a bug that causes the lower P-States to not switch on when overclock, only some of them, this is AMD's fault and has as far as I understand fixed in 1.0.0.2a
I also would like to overclock the GPU, but loosing the adaptive frequency/voltage in doing so is not worth it, so until AMD fixes this I prefer just to leave it on auto

Cheers

-------------
Main Rig: AMD Ryzen 2400G | ASRock Fatality X370 ITX/ac UEFI 4.90 | Corsair LPX DDR4 2400@3200 1.35V | Corsair RM650i PSU | CM ML120L AiO Cooler

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 1:56am
" rel="nofollow - You are using a totally different motherboard though?

I managed to fix the boot issue, now it just freezes on idle, even logs show nothing, hw info shows nothing changing, the system just seems to be asleep however no windows power settings allow this.

I am not overclocking it, im running 100% stock, all i want is a stable computer.

Also we have tried 3 different sets of memory, 1 set is out of a friends Ryzen setup which is 100% stable, mine behaves the same crashes on idle after a period of time. We put my memory in his setup, after 3 days still stable.

That being said i have started looking at the memory settings, today i have disabled gear down mode to see if that improves things.

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:04am
" rel="nofollow - Be aware that low end boards use less PCB layers and lower quality traces, that can affect the memory performance, I am using the Fatal1ty X370 ITX/ac and had also her sister the AB350 ITX/ac
The A320 Pro4 has the same AGESA as mine so in all the performance should be similar but as far as I remember XFR and Precision Boost is implemented differently by AMD's request on A320 than on B350/X370/X470, wait for a new UEFI updated and check back after
I would also RMA the board, or send it to warranty, it seems you might have a bad motherboard, C-States or anything else should not cause freezing in idle, check with another SSD/HDD and do a clean Windows 10 install using the "Media Creation Tool" provided by Microsoft on their site.

If possible also swap the PSU, older PSU have problems with Ryzen and freezez in idle/low power states, so that could be your problem.
What PSU are you using?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:17am
" rel="nofollow - Let me check a thing, and I will write back what to do
Ok, can you go to ADVANCED/AMD CBS/NBIO COMMON OPTIONS/ and change "Power Supply Idle Control" to Tipical current from Auto and report back if you still have freezes in Idle?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:25am
" rel="nofollow - I bow down to your knowledge on this, im not that clued up on these things, but i don't understand how aggressive memory timings can affect idle performance? I could understand that if it were to crash on load, but it will play games for hours and not skip a beat, yet as soon as you leave it overnight, it doesn't wake.

I think i tried that before but i will try it again.

All these settings that are auto, is there any way to discover which the motherboard is using?

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:30am
" rel="nofollow - No no, agressive memory timings and sub timings can cause no post with cold boots or even re-boots, but not idle freezes, there was some reports of Ryzen freezing in idle and AMD implemented the options I sugested above to check. If that does not work, can you maybe try with another HDD/SSD and reinstall windows on it, without any other secondary drive attached, and use the IGPU of the system? That should remove the GPU/HDD/SSD from the ecuation, and the only things left are the Motherboard/RAM/Power Supply

Yes, to check timings use Ryzen Timings Checker https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-timing-checker/

PS: what PSU are you using?
OK I now read the 1st page, where you mentioned you tired another boot drive with OS, so scrap that
Well my suggestion for a final assertion is this:
Remove video card, remove any other drive besides the boot drive, remove one stick of memory, remove anything else besides the CPU/Memory/Boot Drive, reset UEFI to default and check again for freezes, if the still occur send the motherboard back to warranty

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:37am
I've tried three different hard drives (2 x SSDs and 1 spinner), all had the same issues. Tried two different power supplies (currently running a bronze rated corsair 900w) and like i say the memory has been changed as well.

The only thing left is the motherboard, and given im now on my second A320 either there is a fundamental problem with it or there is some settings which can make this stable.

There is no power supply idle control options in 3.10, i could try upgrading, but am reluctant to run the latest as it crashes all the time.

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:58am
" rel="nofollow - I have to ask, have you done a fresh OS install on any of the drives you have tested?

I had the same exact issue on one of my review samples, turned out I needed to download and install the latest windows 10 iteration. My old install media lacked updates that Ryzen needed and they failed to install after the fact. What you describe can easily be caused by the OS. 

If you have tried a fresh install with the latest install media from MS let us know. 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 3:00am
No need, for an UEFI upgrade, the Corsair PSU should have no problems whatsoever and most certain supports Ryzen CPU idle states. All that your tried has narrowed it down to the motherboard itself, being that its the 2nd one you try, it seems to me that the problem lies with the motherboard itself or the UEFI, I suggest waiting for the new UEFI's based on AGESA 1.0.0.2a that should be released in the coming weeks, after that upgrade the UEFI using a clean FAT32 USB stick from UEFI, before upgrading make sure to reset UEFI to defaults. 
If that does not solve your problem, you should return the motherboard and exchange it for another one if possible
As Xaltar said Windows 10 Creators Update needs to be fully updated for the 2xxx series to work corectly with it, as an example with the system from my Sig, after clean install of Creators Update, Edge would freeze randomly and all sorts of odd behaviours would occur, but I usually always update after install, only one time I did not and notice this. I implied that you already updated after install also

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 3:50am
Yeap every time im doing a clean install of windows 10 and allowing it to update fully, thankfully windows 10 installs quickly...

Normally i would suspect the OS however Windows knows nothing about what caused the shutdown, the only event logs show it healthy, then starting from an unexpected shutdown, which implies hardware.

My next option was to downspeed the ram...

Im just perplexed how it can all be so unreliable, i thought the Ryzen was supposed to be the best, it just seems buggy to me, kinda regretting not going for an Intel now.

Problem with replacing the motherboard is its taken this long to diagnose it amazon will only ever replace it, ASRock are not interested at all and just say return to the vendor, their support is awful. However if it is yet another motherboard problem i will not be getting another ASRock one, mainly because of their support.

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 4:42am
" rel="nofollow - Well my experience with warranties here in Europe is better because I return it to the retailer/supplier for warranty, and here ASRock has 3 years warranty, same does Asus, I for one had bad experience with the last 7 out of 9 Asus boards, but none of the ASRock ones have failed me or my clients yet, the part where its buggy I can confirm but its odd because all other ASRock boards I had were Rock Solid even AMD ones, so I will give the benefit of the doubt to ASRock and blame AMD for a rushed platform but if all bugs are resolved its fine with me, better late than never. I too expected more from Ryzen when I build this system to replace my trusty FX9370 AM3+ system that had a Crosshair V Formula-Z (that was one of the 2 Asus from that worked behaved lovely with no bugs at all, it was rock solid, not even a crash in 2+ years) so when I bought the top end AM4 ITX board available I expected more from it, I still cant play CS GO without throttling and many other usability bugs, but at least no hard crashes.

You can read here my experience with the Fatality X370 ITX/ac:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8075&KW=&title=fatality-x370-itx-ac-bios-l451-very-buggy

and here:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8166&KW=&title=yet-another-uefi-bug-with-ab350-x370-itx-ac

here also:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8184&KW=&title=warning-to-users-with-older-video-cards

And lastly:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8254&KW=&title=loud-pop-from-left-channel-when-poweron-reboot

None of these bugs were fixed yet, I am putting all my hope in the next UEFI update

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 9:58pm
Interestingly i've had a chance to play around a bit more, 

Im now running 4.51 Bios, i've got it running (it crashed previously after 10mins) by disabling DDR4 Gear Down mode and turning Power Supply Idle Control to Typical.

Its still crashing after long periods of inactivity, but its lasting longer now than it was, currently trying my memory underclocked to 1866 (instead of 2400) to see how that gets on.

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 1:56am
I take it back, crashing all the time again

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 5:21pm
Just to close of this topic, i gave up, after two A320M Pro4's both with the same problem i bought a gigabyte motherboard.

3 days now 100% stable, not had any issues at all.

There is a fundamental problem with the A320M i have no idea what it is but i would advise everyone not to buy it or if you have return it and get another motherboard if you are having random problems. 
Its taken me months and cost hundreds in replacement parts trying to diagnose the problem, but the only thing it could have been by the end of it was the motherboard and i went through 2 of them. The fact the gigabyte one worked out of the box with no issues implies its nothing to do with AMD's code as well as both motherboards are running the same AGESA version.

Thanks for all the help guys, it was much appreciated.

Posted By: flv
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 4:20am
Hi mjinglis,
I have a A320 pro4 with the same random problems.  Ouch

W10 in task manager show 8GB of memory, 3,97GB usable. Not all the times, sometimes W10 show 8GB usable.

Which Gigabyte model have you bought?

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 4:26am
Sure its an AB350M,
3 months now and still 100% stable, no other changes than the motherboard.

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 5:46am
Originally posted by mjinglis mjinglis wrote:

Sure its an AB350M

Gigabyte produces some different GA-AB350M models. Is it a Gigabyte ga-ab350 m-gaming 3?

3 months now and still 100% stable, no other changes than the motherboard.

Is there a chance to fix the Askrock problems? I have bought it from a reseller that was closed from fiscal police (judicial seizure).
Asrock oficial representative don't answer. There is not oficial warranty. Confused
Il rappresentante asrock ufficiale non risponde.Asrock oficial representative don't answer.
Detected language : English

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 4:31pm
I noticed one thing. ShockedShocked

If I remove from the motherboard the power battery 2032 for some minutes and put it back the PC work correctly for one day without any freeze and with 8GB of memory in W10 task manager.

After this, the day after, the PC freeze and if start after some tentative, it goes slowly and W10 task manager tell me that there are 8GB of memory and 3,97GB used! Confused

If I remove the battery again, the PC will return to work!

It is like there is a firmware bug that corrupt the settings during normal operation. 

Someone who still has the A320M Pro4 can confirm me this behavior?

If this is true the Asrock Support Team it's really incompetent! Unhappy
It is not possible that they do not resolve this bug.
Non รจ possibile che non risolvono questo bug.It is not possible that they do not resolve this bug.
Detected language : English

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net