URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8022
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 7:45pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: [Solved] X399 Taichi Won't Boot / No CPU Fan
Posted By: APDrones
Subject: [Solved] X399 Taichi Won't Boot / No CPU Fan
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 2:52am
" rel="nofollow - Hi All, 

Let me preface by saying I have read 2 other threads on here for similar issues where I did learn but did not solve my issue. 

My set-up:
ASRock X399 Taichi
1950X TR CPU
Corsaid RM 850X PS
EVGA GTX1070 FTW GPU
Vengeance LPX 4x8 GB RAM
Vengeance LPX 2x16 GB RAM (more on this later)
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD for OS
WD 5TB HDD for storage

I'm updating my previous set-up with plans to go to more cores and more RAM. Previous was EVGA X99 FTW K151 with i7-6800K Broadwell-E and the 4x8 Vengeance RAM. 

So far what I know / have tried: 
  • I didn't know the 2x16 GB RAM was not compatible until seeing the AMD Ryzen Compatible RAM thread, also have tried the majority of iterations with only the 4x8 installed
  • I have yet to get a Dr. Debug Code
  • I initially missed the 4 pin CPU PS but have since connected it
  • My CPU fan does not work when trying to boot on the following locations on the mobo (it does not turn on but will turn on using the not mentioned Chassis fan locations): Loc 8 CPU Fan Connector CPU_FAN1, Loc 32 Chassis Fan Connector (CHA_FAN1), Loc 31 CPU Fan / Waterpump Fan Connector (CPU_OPT/W_PUMP), Loc 27 Chassis Fan Connector (CHA_FAN2). 
  • That said, my CPU fan does turn on when using Loc 1 Chassis Fan / Waterpump Fan Connector (CHA_FAN3/W_PUMP)
  • Both my monitors are HDMI only so to my knowledge I'm limited to seeing a boot menu unless I have the GPU installed and use it's HDMI. 
  • I tore down to the CPU to inspect for loose pins, all looked good. 
  • Built back up to only the CPU/Mobo, and 4x8 GB RAM, still get the same blue blinking from the ASRock LEDs
  • I did do the PS test with the paperclip and a dummy load of a chassis fan to confirm PS functionality on the 24 pin. 
So.... what else do I try or look at? 

Thanks in advance!

Replies:
Posted By: MisterJ
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:04am
" rel="nofollow - APDrones, you must use a GPU, your processor/board provide no graphic support.  What shows up in your Dr Debug display?  Do you have both the 4-pin and 8-pin CPU power connectors plugged?  Please make sure the 4-pin is not rotated and they are CPU and not PCIe.  Have you tried the CPU_FAN1 connector?  If still not booting, please insert one stick of memory in A1, the video card and nothing else and see if it will boot or at least post a debug code.  Try all memory slots and all sticks, one at a time.  Enjoy, John.

-------------
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Posted By: wardog
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:31am
Also, what two specific mem kits, by P/N's.

Double check your mem placement against pg20 of your manual. Prolly best to troubleshot using slots A2 and B2 populated to get her booting.

! Clear the BIOS EVERY TIME you lift and move any memory !

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:58am
" rel="nofollow - MisterJ, yes 4 and 8 pins are connected and confirmed 4 pin is in correct orientation and is a cpu harness not a PciE. I have not been able to get any error code on my Dr Debug which concerned me. Will remove all but one memory and try. I was using slots D1 / D2 using the manual going down by priority.

Wardog - will provide mem P/N?™s in a few hours when I get home.

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 5:29am
Threadripper CPUs are notoriously troublesome to install correctly. If it is out of alignment, not torqued down enough, torqued down too much it will not POST. The fact that your CPU fan header will not power up when you power on the system, I suspect an issue with the CPU mounting. Follow the instructions carefully, take your time and make sure the CPU is installed correctly. Threadripper is a beast but it takes a little more fiddling sometimes to get it to seat properly.

Also make sure you don't have any shorts under the board, the non functioning CPU fan could also be the result of shorting somewhere, an errant standoff or loose screw etc. 

-------------

Posted By: TANWare
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 7:10am
I'll confirm these are a pain to get seated properly. You have to get all three bolts just started and then torque down the plate. I started mine then snugged up in order the three bolts before the final torqueing of them in order. A pain but worth it in the end.

-------------
x399 Taichi, 1950x, 32GB 3466 DDR4
2x500GB 960EVO,Asus 1080TI
http://www.pcambrosia.com/images/PassmarkEVO960_e.jpg" rel="nofollow - Passmark

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 7:49am
" rel="nofollow - 4x8 GB is PN CMK32GX4M4A2133C13
2X16 is PN CMK32GX4M2A2133C13

Removing all memory except installing 1 8GB stick in slot A1 did not boot. I also have my GPU connected and it lights up like normal so PCE1 is getting power ( I don?™t have ps connected to GPU at the moment).

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 7:53am
" rel="nofollow - Tanware and Xalter - I agree the initial install took me almost an hour of headache to feel confident in the CPU?™s seating. This second time felt pretty good, I can get the front screw engaged with a little pressure then snug all 3 and tighten in order. The initial install I did not go all the way to the prescribed torque in the provided T20 because I was worried it was too much, I did go to it the second time I checked the CPU and it felt good / I wasn?™t worried.

I also suspected CPU issues from the fan not powering on. This board mounted the same as my old x99 so I reused fasteners and double checked they were tight when I installed the mobo this second time.

What?™s the best way to do basically a bench top check of CPU before installing mobo in case?

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 8:02am
No luck with 2x8GB mem in A2 and B2 either.

Is clear CMOS process to hold the clear/reset cmos button for 10 sec as you unplug ps with everything turned off?

Looks like next step will be to try to get CPU reseated... I guess as long as I have it on a grounded surface I can power it and see if CPU fan comes on at start.... that?™d be progress from current state

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 8:28am
APDrones, see your manual for the exact Clear CMOS procedure.  You can also open the UEFI and hit F9 then F10.  Do not place your board on a conductive, much less, grounded surface.  You could mount it on a few of the standoffs and sit it on an insulating surface.  Try powering it up like this before tearing into the CPU again.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

-------------
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 2:58pm
" rel="nofollow - Generally, most people just put the board on top of the box it came in for bench testing. Do not put it on top of an anti-static bag, many of these are conductive.

This is the most effective way to clear CMOS:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=630&title=how-to-clear-cmos-via-battery-removal

When you have the CPU out, clean the contact pads carefully with some isopropyl alcohol and make sure there is no debris in the socket. Also check to make sure the CPU substrate (PCB) isn't bent/warped. 

Good luck

-------------

Posted By: TANWare
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:36pm
I jut had to reconfigure my fans. In doing so apparently I bumped into the power wires of the board. I had to reseat the power plugs as the system became totally unresponsive. No fan movement etc.. maybe not your issue but I figured it is something free to check.

-------------
x399 Taichi, 1950x, 32GB 3466 DDR4
2x500GB 960EVO,Asus 1080TI
http://www.pcambrosia.com/images/PassmarkEVO960_e.jpg" rel="nofollow - Passmark

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:53pm
" rel="nofollow - Check the 24pin and 8pin CPU power leads from your PSU, make sure there is no damage to them (burnt, spread too far etc).

I take it this is a new PSU?

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 7:07am
" rel="nofollow - UPDATE: I was able to get BIOS by doing a benchtop test after removing CPU, checking everything and reseating. What I had luck with was going 1/4 turn at a time on each of the 1-2-3 screws until all were torqued properly. It fired right up.

Now.... that said... just placed back in my case with the same minimalist config (8 GB RAM in each A2 and B2 - same as on benchtop, GPU, and 24 + 8 + 4 pin CPU jumpers) and back to the same issue. 

Since I assume it is a grounding issue, I hoped I might get lucky and remove one screw attaching the mobo at a time and see if one was the issue.... no luck. 

I'll check seating of connectors but any suggestions?

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 7:08am
No this was not a new PSU, carryover from my previous setup.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 7:34am
APDrones, please think about things connected to your board now not connected on the bench.  Examples: audio, front panel, back panel bezel, any cards or other cables.  Please let us hear.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 8:15am
" rel="nofollow - I do not have anything connected to the board except what was on the bench (3 CPU cables, GPU). No front panel connected. My only thought is the rear of the board extends further than my previous X99. I have some longer standoff?™s at work I plan to try tomorrow to see if that solves it.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 8:20am
APDrones, there are prongs on the bezel for grounding the shield part of the connectors sticking through.  I would suggest that you look at that carefully and even try it with the bezel removed.  Best of luck and enjoy, John,

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 7:43am
SOLVED: it ended up being a standoff on my case lined perfectly up with a screw head on the back side of the motherboard behind the big ASRock logo. Almost like it was intentional. I must have had the standoff from before and not used it because I used 10 fasteners on my old mobo as well as this one. 

Oh well, lesson learned and problem solved!
Thanks all for your help!

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 2:24pm
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by APDrones APDrones wrote:

SOLVED: it ended up being a standoff on my case lined perfectly up with a screw head on the back side of the motherboard behind the big ASRock logo. Almost like it was intentional. I must have had the standoff from before and not used it because I used 10 fasteners on my old mobo as well as this one. 

Oh well, lesson learned and problem solved!
Thanks all for your help!

That shouldn't be. There are very strict Guidelines ALL manufacturers must follow to/that prevent that.

Can I ask/bother you for a picture please?

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 9:35am
Sure thing. Let me mark them up to show where the problem was and upload tomorrow.

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 9:53am
" rel="nofollow - I haven?™t forgotten. Will post tomorrow morning.

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 8:31pm
Here you go, the crude arrow points to the standoff / screw causing the issues.

https://s9.postimg.org/avpch4zgf/86_BAA530-_C0_A9-42_F0-_B85_F-8_BA6_FD1_C7_EA2.jpg" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 9:40pm
Yup, that standoff should not be in that position for sure. I am glad your problem ended up being easy to resolve. Thanks for sharing the pics Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 2:44am
That's a relief seeing those pics. Thank You.

Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Yup, that standoff should not be in that position for sure. I am glad your problem ended up being easy to resolve. Thanks for sharing the pics Thumbs Up

What Xaltar means is that that standoff should have been removed prior.

That specific location is used with SSI motherboards. Think Dual Socket Server motherboards.

Originally posted by APDrones APDrones wrote:

Here you go, the crude arrow points to the standoff / screw causing the issues.

Lesson learned for you. Always check first, then add or remove standoffs as the motherboard you are installing requires. ie: match the number and positions of standoffs

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 9:36pm
" rel="nofollow - Thanks all for your help. What really confuses me is I must have had it installed with my previous X99 board it just didn?™t cause any issues. I used 10 screws with the old board and carried over directly to this one just had the extra standoff in play.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net