URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8470
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 10:23pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New system for gaming and professional use
Posted By: GNU
Subject: New system for gaming and professional use
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 3:13pm
" rel="nofollow - Hi guys,

after a long time with my old hardware, I need a new and strong PC system for gaming (medium - ultra) and professional (construction tools like UGS NX, E3D and video tool like Pinnacle).
The professional tools need a lot of memory and cache (exchange datas ~1-10GB), so I need fast SSD and RAM.
I also want to overclock the system (CPU, RAM), if possible.

The specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X or 1920X
MAINBOARD: ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Prof. Gaming
RAM: Corsair Venegance RGB 4x8GB, DDR4-3600
SDD: Intel SSD Optane 900P 480GB, PCIe 3.0x4 (OS and Construction)
SSD2: Intel SSD 760p 512GB, M.2 (General and Video)
HDD: WD Re 2TB, SATA 6Gbs (Backup)
GPU: Geforce GTX 1060 (the newest GPUs are too expensive, so I will upgrade after the prices are on a lower level)
PSU: Corsair HX850i
Pro-tools: UGS NX, E3D/PDMS, Pinnacle Studio

watercooled (I have my own fixed specs):
CPU
MOBO

What do you think about this?

Thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 7:33pm
I wouldn't go for the 1900x, if you were to go that route you would be better off saving a little on the platform and going with a R7 2700x and an X470 board. I am guessing you are after the quad channel RAM support on X399. Do your research very carefully with RAM, even now it's still hit and miss, particularly on Gen1 Ryzen/threadripper. 

The specs look solid. That optane drive is going to add a lot to the system cost. Based on the fact that you didn't go right for the 1950x I figure you are working with a budget. The best advice anyone can give you is do your research on every component you are thinking about. Is optane going to benefit you to the point it justifies the cost for example. If yes, put a tick next to it and move on to the next component. Look at reviews that cover similar workloads to your needs. It has been a while since I last put together purpose built systems but these are the steps I followed every time. What do you need it for, what will benefit you most, what is excess and how does it all fit into the budget. 

Personally, I wouldn't waste time with Optane, its fast as all hell yes but how much difference will it make to your workflow? You want to build the system to cater for both work and gaming so that tells me it is your personal system. If you are using your personal system for work then you are either self employed or running a small business of your own. The only reason to go with things that speed up workflows is to allow more work to be done in a finite period of time. If you are slammed with work and these time savings are going to pay for themselves over time then certainly go for them but if not, put your budget to better use. 

I would go with:

1950x 
X399 Taichi/Fatality (whichever pleases you aesthetically)
RAM from the QVL list, it wouldn't hurt to confirm with ASRock if the model you choose will work, send a support ticket to ask.
2x 512gb NVMe SSDs (samsung Evo or equivalent)
Backup mechanical drive 8gb Seagate Ironwolf or WD equivalent 
GTX 1050ti or RX 560 (if you are planning to upgrade don't waste more money than you need to for playable FPS in games)
That PSU should be fine

That should do what you need it to, cost you less and be easily upgradable. The Samsung NVMe options are fast, not speed demon fast like the optane maybe but they will hurt your wallet a hell of a lot less for a comparatively small decrease in performance. 

That is my 2c for what it's worth Wink  

-------------

Posted By: Xaltar
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 7:40pm
An additional note, gaming on the TR4 platform is not going to be as robust as AM4 or socket 1151 (gen8). TR4 is quad channel capable, that means better RAM bandwidth even with slower clocks. We see a lot of issues trying to get RAM to run faster than 2933 - 3200. You will be best served by a 3200 kit with good timings (CL16 or better) than spending a lot more on a higher frequency kit. 

My 16gb 3600 kit performs better at 3200 CL14 than it does at 3600 CL19. As I said, research Wink

-------------

Posted By: Bashiro
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 9:14pm
Cheers for that tip regarding the RAM, Xaltar. I had no idea about that stuff. I would about to pony up some dough for the higher frequency RAM, but I'll spend it on some other part now that I've read this.

Date Posted: 02 May 2018 at 4:21am
" rel="nofollow - Many thanks for your informations.

I need the TR4 for the two M2 PCIe SSDs (a 3rd SSD as optional solution) and for the quad channel RAM (for the fast bandwith to exhange many GBs in a short time).
The Fatality MB has a good option for my wishes and the 2nd reason is the fast ethernet which I will use it for my cloud system.

The reason for the Optane is the speed only.
My construction tools (especially NX) need an unbelieveable space and speed for exchange datas.
I don't want a SSD or RAM which will slow down my work. Fast loading and fast saving are important.

I really checked out every component which are interesting and that are the enlisted compontens but I am not a professional not like in the earlier years I did many tuning things (overclocking). :)

I am part-time self-employed so I want one system for both requests (workstation and gamestation) on a good balance.
I will invest with more money for the next 6-8 years, so it should be a very good hardware.
Ultra-Gaming is not important but if GTA 5 or actual games are playable with good settings, then it's okay.

AND I want to overclock the entire system (mostly CPU, RAM and GPU) :)

Your change suggestions about my system.
Why 1950X? It's there a big difference except the cores which are mostly not supported by home office programs.
Which RAMs would you suggest? My enlisted Corsair 3200/3600 aren't on the QVL list but supported?
You are using 16GB RAM, I will need 32GB for the future. 
What's the difference between Intel 760p and the Evo for the 2nd SSD? The Optane will be the OS SSD and there are no exceptions.
The GPU could be weaker. I can use the 470 for the first time until the prices are stable again.

Another special question:
The Fatality MB will support the new Ryzen 2000er Gen?
Maybe I can wait until the next TR4 will be out and they could be far better than those first generation no?

Date Posted: 11 May 2018 at 2:35am
" rel="nofollow -
Any suggestions? :)

Posted By: Samuel100
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 1:50am
I think this is a Good Build so far.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net