Forum Description: Question about ASRock AMD motherboards
URL: https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8557
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 6:54am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: AB350 Pro4 RAM
Posted By: allizbwen
Subject: AB350 Pro4 RAM
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 10:52am
" rel="nofollow - I am building a system on this board and I am trying to figure out the best RAM options. I has hoping for some Samsung b die 3200, but those options do not really exist on this board's QVL.

For example -- https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232408&ignorebbr=1 -- will that RAM work on the board or no dice?

Anyone have any recommendations on b die for this board?

I am new to this and am just trying to figure it all out -- thanks for the help!

Replies:
Posted By: Reinvented
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 12:16pm
Just because it's not on the QVL list, doesn't mean that it won't work.  It just means that the XMP profile can't be activated, and you'd have to work a little harder and manually input timings.  And yes, the kit you linked should work just fine.  

Posted By: PatriotVipers
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 3:45pm
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by Reinvented Reinvented wrote:

Just because it's not on the QVL list, doesn't mean that it won't work.  It just means that the XMP profile can't be activated, and you'd have to work a little harder and manually input timings.  And yes, the kit you linked should work just fine.  

Just to be clear here, I think what you mean to say is that every memory chip on the QVL list for an AB350M Pro4 motherboard is recognized by the BIOS on power up, which means that it will automatically read the XMP data from the memory chips and run the memory at that speed.

Honestly, this raises a question for me though. Does ASRock BIOS attempt to run the QVL memory at the fastest XMP memory speeds it recognizes?

If the memory chips are not recognized by the BIOS at power on you can still activate the XMP in the BIOS manually. I had to do this for my memory kit. My memory kit is rated @ 3000MHz and would always boot up @ 2133MHz in this motherboard. So, I specifically had to enable XMP in the BIOS and select a memory speed and the timings for that memory speed. It wasn't very fun at all. The next BIOS will probably make it easier for the next guy but I got it done the hard way.

My memory model # is on the QVL list for this motherboard using a Raven Ridge CPU but you'll notice ASRock sometimes follows up model numbers with additional numbers in parentheses. If you see these additional numbers in parentheses be very cautious about choosing the memory kit even if you match the model numbers up. Because it's very hard to know for sure exactly what memory dies you'll end up getting. This is my case exactly although I've been fortunate enough to figure out some stable timings for my system through trial and error.

-------------
System: AMD 2200G, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 16GB(2x8GB) 3000MHz Patriot Vipers (running @ 2134MHz *crying*).

Posted By: donalgodon
Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 8:40am
Originally posted by PatriotVipers PatriotVipers wrote:

" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by Reinvented Reinvented wrote:

Just to be clear here, I think what you mean to say is that every memory chip on the QVL list for an AB350M Pro4 motherboard is recognized by the BIOS on power up, which means that it will automatically read the XMP data from the memory chips and run the memory at that speed.

Honestly, this raises a question for me though. Does ASRock BIOS attempt to run the QVL memory at the fastest XMP memory speeds it recognizes?

If the memory chips are not recognized by the BIOS at power on you can still activate the XMP in the BIOS manually. I had to do this for my memory kit. My memory kit is rated @ 3000MHz and would always boot up @ 2133MHz in this motherboard. So, I specifically had to enable XMP in the BIOS and select a memory speed and the timings for that memory speed. It wasn't very fun at all. The next BIOS will probably make it easier for the next guy but I got it done the hard way.

My memory model # is on the QVL list for this motherboard using a Raven Ridge CPU but you'll notice ASRock sometimes follows up model numbers with additional numbers in parentheses. If you see these additional numbers in parentheses be very cautious about choosing the memory kit even if you match the model numbers up. Because it's very hard to know for sure exactly what memory dies you'll end up getting. This is my case exactly although I've been fortunate enough to figure out some stable timings for my system through trial and error.

XMP profiles aren't loaded by default. The default is to run at the RAM module's rated speed. XMP must be set manually in the BIOS.

Posted By: PatriotVipers
Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 9:23am
" rel="nofollow -
Originally posted by donalgodon donalgodon wrote:

XMP profiles aren't loaded by default. The default is to run at the RAM module's rated speed. XMP must be set manually in the BIOS.

Oh okay. So much confusion for me. So even if my memory kit is on the QVL list for RR (which I think it is but how would I know for sure) the BIOS is only going to boot up at it's.....hmmmm.....whats the best word here...."base speed"?

I've been talking about my 3000MHz chips as though that WAS the rating of the chips. But now that you mention it, CPU-Z reports my SPD->Max Bandwidth as "DDR4-2132 (1066MHz)".

So many vague words being tossed around.

So my 3000MHz memory is actually "rated @ 2133MHz" but will O.C. to 3000MHz. ASRock BIOS will never use an XMP speed but rather the unoverclocked "rated" speed by default? I see, yes, it makes sense now. Since that's what it did before I changed it to use XMP manually.

But answer me this question. What's the point of having it set to "Auto" in the BIOS for XMP? I thought "Auto" meant something like "find me the highest stable speed you can by looking at the XMP data on the memory chips." So, "Auto" just means, use the default unoverclocked speed?

Good stuff to know if I am hearing you right. Like I said, it was pain in the neck to get my chips running stable @2934MHz. I wish ASRock would see my model number on my chips and then use that data to get the fastest speeds. And set that data for me automatically.

I guess until we get an equivalent from AMD to Intels XMP data we will have to do it the hard way for a bit longer.

-------------
System: AMD 2200G, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 16GB(2x8GB) 3000MHz Patriot Vipers (running @ 2134MHz *crying*).

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net