ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock X99 WS-E memory compatiblity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vacaloca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 6:38am
Another update, quick for now. Basically the replacement board had (what seems like) a bad PLX chip, as when using gpuburn to test 2 GPUs at the same time in Linux I had NVRM Xid 32 errors ("Invalid or corrupted push buffer stream") on 1 slot and the GPU falling off the bus on /var/log/kern.log, and a subsequent crash. Testing 1 GPU at a time produced no issues, however, when I used at least two slots it definitely had these issues.

In Windows, while running Unigine Heaven benchmark, the monitor outputs went to power save when it failed and no recovery was possible. That being said, the memory slots worked just fine, passing Memtest with flying colors.

After a few more days and NewEgg providing an advance RMA, I finally have a board that is behaving correctly -- memory slots and PCI-E slots both seem good this time after Memtest and gpuburn / heaven runs.

Only remaining issue is a 'sleep of death' issue, only prevalent with a Zotac GTX 1080 under Windows 8.1 x64. Strangely enough, issue isn't present in Linux. Have an open ticket with NVIDIA about this... hopefully they can replicate it. I can only assume it is a driver issue since Linux recovers after sleep fine. Previous GTX Titan X card is unaffected by the sleep issue with same driver, also confirming some issue with the way the card is talking to the Windows driver, presumably
vacaloca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vacaloca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 12:40pm
The 'sleep of death' issue with the 1080 was resolved by reinstalling the O/S -- will slowly restore commonly used programs. One thing to note is that DPC latency is higher with the 1080, perhaps non-mature drivers at cause. Also, returning from sleep with video outputs connected to the 1080 is slower than video outputs connected to GTX Titan Black, for example.. so it seems that there are still some driver quirks. NVIDIA Level 2 technical support is looking at the longer sleep wakeup time, will post if they offer some resolution.

Edit: NVIDIA mentions these are known issues that will be fixed in some future driver update.
Edit 2: Issue of a slow monitor return from sleep with video outputs connected to GTX 1080 is fixed in Windows OS w/ 368.69 drivers.
Edit 3: High DPC latency is fixed in 368.95 hotfix drivers

Interestingly enough, Ubuntu 16.04 w/ latest NVIDIA drivers does not suffer from the longer sleep wakeup time.

One other issue that happened under Ubuntu that affected warm boots was the cause of the earlier slow bootups with Dr. Debug codes 99 and b4. Turns out it has nothing to do with APSM settings at all, but with a rare USB2/3 transition that results in a race condition upon bootup:

This is fixed in kernel 4.4.0-25.44 according to:

I personally just installed kernel 4.6.3 -- the latest mainline stable as of 6/27/2016:

For steps on how to install:

Edited by vacaloca - 22 Jul 2016 at 10:30pm
vacaloca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vacaloca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 4:07am
This was from a while back -- I've since returned some of the sticks since the original problem was the motherboard DIMM slot and not the RDIMMs, but it does indeed support 256 GB. =) See pictures linked below:

vacaloca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vacaloca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 7:48pm
Almost 2 years later, this platform has worked out just fine. Upgraded to Windows 10 x64 a few months ago given that NVIDIA only released Windows 7 / Windows 10 drivers for their TITAN V card.

I have been running w/ 256 GB once again -- purchased the remaining DIMMs before the RAM price hike.

Last weekend upgraded the BIOS to 3.60 and after clearing CMOS and changing the slots of 2 out of 3 NVIDIA video cards, was able to get it to boot using the card that was connected to the displays rather than the TITAN V. Either Windows 10 x64 is a lot more stable than Windows 8.1 x64, or this 3.60 BIOS resolved the stability issues I had experienced earlier with the previous 3.x versions.

One thing to note, when the BIOS was upgraded, NICs and video cards showed up in 'Other Devices' under Device Manager. I had to delete any devices that showed up there in order for Windows to re-create/use the devices correctly after the BIOS upgrade.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic