ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Future Memory Support

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Future Memory Support
    Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 12:57am
What do you all think the likelihood of 4 sticks running at their highest rated speed will be during the lifetime of this chipset? I'm trying to decide if I should fork out the extra cash for 32gb vs 16gb. If anyone has read something that leads them to believe that we will eventually see all four slots running at their max speeds, I'd be happy to save the money.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 1:38am
I just finished replying to you in another Thread !

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4668&PID=26214&title=corsair-memory-on-x370-gaming-k4#26214

Let's keep this discussion, Yours after all, here.

You're CPU-z Validation? Is it current? I thought I remember you say you already were using 32GB.

twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 4:07am
I guess I went off topic in the other thread. In the other I was mostly interested in how-to edit the CM values for RAM..

Reply from other thread..

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

You went with 32GB, or 64GB?

IIRC, it was 32GB. 4x8GB or 2x16GB?

4x8GB is quite a strain on most any IMC, AMD or Intel, to push Mhz higher, or OC with.

Right now I'm at 2x8GB, but seeing as there appears to be no way to attempt the adjustment of the CM to push these any higher, I am now shopping around..

I can't remember which exactly, but I know one of these sets successfully ran at 3200:

I'm on the fence as to which to buy. Obviously the slightly lower timings on the more expensive set, combined with more memory in only two slots, would be ideal.

I've been slowly talking myself into buying the pricier set throughout the past couple of days, but I don't know that I'll ever need 64gb of RAM on this system. Sure it would be nice, but on the other hand, upgrading from 16 to 32 at some point later on this year would be the more economical route. I don't know that I'd notice the decrease in latency that much, but then again, I've never really chased low timings, so I have no idea. Maybe I would notice it.

I'm running out of time for the return window on the sticks I bought initially, and I would really like to not get stuck with them. I was impulsive when I opted for them, and after doing more research, they strike me as sort of "middle-of-the-road" sticks. Kills me because I had some CORSAIR sticks lined up before I bought, and while those were about 30-40 more, I believe they ended up being on the QVL.

TL:DR, I don't want to repeat the same mistake of buying the wrong memory, and I don't want to overspend for something that I may not realize any benefit from. If the 4-slot penalty may possibly go away in the future, like the 3200 limit is supposed to be lifted at some point, then I would have a tough time opting for 32gb at this time.

EDIT2: I guess the 16gb set isn't listed on the QVL, but the 32gb set isn't specifically listed there either..

Edited by twf85 - 29 Mar 2017 at 4:07am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 7:12am
Yea. Get that Kit you have now back to NewEgg. I'm almost surprised they run on AM4, having only X99 XMP Profile(s).

Have you seen:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4565&title=am4-ryzen-specific-memory

Just yesterday I added: http://rymem.vraith.com/

That will give you maybe a better Idea. Seems they harvest Ryzen only CPU-z Validation results.

Me? ASRock is shipping us Mods our boards soon and seeings I have a gaggle of DDR4 here, and the smarts to "work' them, I'm gonna try with what I already have first.

Looks good. X370 Taichi Certified: G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8GB) Model F4-3200C14D-16GFX
http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2952&model=2985
A wee WEE bit pricey, but gotta LOVE 14-14-14-34 @ 3200
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530

Edited by wardog - 29 Mar 2017 at 7:13am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 11:35am
I know you'd like to get the memory now, but Ryzen is so new and the memory manufactures have barely had time to provide Ryzen specific DDR4 memory. Part of the reason for that is the memory speed potential of the Ryzen memory controller is still being discovered.

AMD is still providing the information for UEFI/BIOS updates for supporting higher speed memory. There is one such update coming pretty soon, and who knows how many more will come after that.

The only company that is currently marketing Ryzen specific memory is G.SKILL with their Flare line. The others will follow soon with their own. You'll have a much better selection in the near future, with higher speeds and capacities.

If Ryzen follows the trend of Intel's latest processors, the greater the capacity of memory used (32GB+), the more difficult it is for it to run at higher speeds. We can see that general trend now by checking the Memory QVL of any ASRock AM4 board. Currently at DDR4 3000 and above, we only find 4GB and 8GB DIMMs, and only two may be used.

You mentioned buying a kit of memory now, and then another later. Mixing kits of even the same memory model is risky. Sometimes the memory chips that the memory manufactures buy from other companies have slight changes in them from different production runs, that prevents the two kits from working together at their highest possible speed. The longer the time between buying two or more kits, the more likely they may use different memory chips and have less than optimal compatibility.
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 2:15pm

Just yesterday I added: http://rymem.vraith.com/

I had not seen that, but thank heavens! Finally a page that can definitively answer the question. Did you code that?

Me? ASRock is shipping us Mods our boards soon and seeings I have a gaggle of DDR4 here, and the smarts to "work' them, I'm gonna try with what I already have first.

Congrats! That's really cool of ASRock to show some love to the people keeping this place running ;)

Looks good. X370 Taichi Certified: G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8GB) Model F4-3200C14D-16GFX
http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2952&model=2985

I had seen the Flare line, but I wasn't too thrilled about it. I'm happy they were so quick to release them, but the design of the sticks makes them look kind of second-rate. I think when I first saw them, they didn't have the high speeds they now, so I didn't give them a second glance. I don't know, maybe I'm letting my first impression of them get the better of me.

In your experience is there much of a difference in 3000 vs 3200?

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I know you'd like to get the memory now, but Ryzen is so new and the memory manufactures have barely had time to provide Ryzen specific DDR4 memory. Part of the reason for that is the memory speed potential of the Ryzen memory controller is still being discovered. 

AMD is still providing the information for UEFI/BIOS updates for supporting higher speed memory. There is one such update coming pretty soon, and who knows how many more will come after that.

The only company that is currently marketing Ryzen specific memory is G.SKILL with their Flare line. The others will follow soon with their own. You'll have a much better selection in the near future, with higher speeds and capacities.

If Ryzen follows the trend of Intel's latest processors, the greater the capacity of memory used (32GB+), the more difficult it is for it to run at higher speeds. We can see that general trend now by checking the Memory QVL of any ASRock AM4 board. Currently at DDR4 3000 and above, we only find 4GB and 8GB DIMMs, and only two may be used.

You mentioned buying a kit of memory now, and then another later. Mixing kits of even the same memory model is risky. Sometimes the memory chips that the memory manufactures buy from other companies have slight changes in them from different production runs, that prevents the two kits from working together at their highest possible speed. The longer the time between buying two or more kits, the more likely they may use different memory chips and have less than optimal compatibility.

Your encyclopedic knowledge never ceases to amaze me, parsec ;) I did not know that about mem kits.. sounds like the same problem I've run into trying to chase down PCB's / heads for hard drives ;) I guess I've never actually added memory to a system. I've always just replaced it, so that's very useful info.

Alright, so I guess the smart move is to go with a decent pair of 16gb now, something that won't break the bank while still achieving near top-shelf speeds. According to that rymem page, this pair ought to do the trick:

I can use those for awhile, and then upgrade when the chipset has had more time to mature and there are more verifiable options. I could use them later in a server or something once (if ever) they come out with sticks running at 3600. Thoughts?

Also, in regards to running 4 slots at full speed at some point in the future.. Is that how Intel systems work as well? I've never put together an Intel system where high speed was a primary concern, just workstations, so I never paid any attention to any of the specifics regarding RAM. It definitely struck me as odd seeing that kind of limitation when official Ryzen pricing/availability dropped.

I've been very busy lately, and I haven't had as much time to keep up with Ryzen news. If anyone has any news regarding the future plans of AMD and this specific limitation, I'd be very interested to hear it.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by twf85 twf85 wrote:

Did you code that?

You're funny. Did I code that?

Heck no. Moi'? Code? hahaha Hell, no.

Why .... Every time I had to express my Morse Code Efficiency for my ARRL Licenses it took me three or four times before I passed. And it hasn't gotten any better as I age Cry

Me code that he asks .................
KrisWragg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrisWragg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by juanvr juanvr wrote:

Hey guys,

Just got a X370 Gaming K4.
Using Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Kit: CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W

Best I could get out of this 3200 CL 16-18-18-36 kit is 2667 18-18-36-62... Very demoralizing especially since I just built it and I read LPX kits are compatible, just not THESE LPX kits...

Any help to get it running better would be appreciated. Im pretty sad.

I have the same kit on my X370 Taichi, I have managed 2666mhz 14-15-15-30 @ 1.375v and SOC set to 1.1v

I can also run 2993mhz 18-20-20-40 but that isn't really any faster in benchmarks so I've stuck with the 2666 lower timings for now.

I think the biggest thing is to change the SOC voltage higher, I've found 1.1 quite good, I think 1.2v is the highest recommended for daily use.
redemp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 10:21pm
I updated my bios to 1.93D today on my X370 Professional Gaming but my RipJaws V 3200cl14 8x2VGR still fail @3200mhz :(.
twf85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twf85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 1:28am

After reviewing that RyMem thing again, it looks like the many of the timings had to be adjusted to achieve the speeds they were rated at. Given what KrisWragg just said, I think I'm gonna' go with the Flare set you mentioned. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic