ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock x399 Taichi, XMP and IOMMU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock x399 Taichi, XMP and IOMMU
    Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 1:46am

Just built a new Threadripper PC (first build in 7 years) and other than 2 issues, system is working and stable. 

Issue 1;  Enabling/Auto IOMMU option in bios (1.50) will cause Windows 10 Pro not to boot.  It hangs at the blue Windows logo screen and requires a reboot to get out of.  (Ran into this issue during installation as well.  Bios 1.50 comes with the option set to Auto).

Issue 2.  F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR ram (4x8) only boots at 2133 Mhz.  Before purchasing I saw reviews getting their 4x8 -14D ram working at 3200 (2 sets of the F4-3200C14D-16GTZR), so I assumed the 4 dim kit would work as well (my fault for assuming).  RGB works fine (I have no RGB control software installed).  Sticks are installed in A2/B2/C2/D2 slots as per Taichi manual. 

I have a small overclock to the CPU (running 3.7, no cooling/temperature issues) and some fan adjustments but no other changes to the bios.  Bios/Win10 see all 32 GB.  Passed several memory diagnostics and stress tests.

No XMP profile will work other than 2133.  4 sticks or 2 sticks, will not post at anything other than 2133.  Is their any recourse for this?   Been ages since I have played around with manual timings, so any advice if I should try that?  Bite the bullet and return the sticks to Newegg for some QVL sticks in hopes that they function correctly?

Thanks.

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 2:05am
yes may i offer some info

try to get the goal first ,then try to tighten it up more
e.g.

click xmp 3200

now scroll down and set the SOC volts to 1.15 fixed
set the soc llc to level 1

next set the dram volts to 1.375 volts

now enter the dram timings section and manually change the cl14 timings to
16/16/16/16/35/50

save exit and see how it handles that

(it might also help while trying to find out what the heck the systems dosnt like about the ram to REMOVE the cpu overclock for the moment, just to simplify whats the issue with ram speed)

the idea/plan is to get the very nice rams to play at 3200 first then we can start to adjust things back down one at a time to get as close to how it would be in an ideal world
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Rope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 3:47am
Hit the CMOS to reset the bios, so no overclock, set the timings, and no luck.  Can't get past b0 on Dr Debug.

Wouldn't even boot at XMP 2133 with those timings. 

Took 2 sticks out and tried with just the two in A2/B2 - same results. 

Tried with 1 stick and wouldn't even POST. 

Also, noticed (before this whole thing process started) Windows 10 was hardware reserving 8GB of memory, so I only had 24GB available to me in windows.  Not sure what the culprit is with that.
Rope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 3:58am
Scratch that, got XMP3200 to work with 2 sticks in D2/C2.  Timings of 16/16/16/16/38/54.  Going to try with 4 sticks next. 

Also with the 2 sticks in D2/C2, there was no hardware reserve being used by windows. Well 120MB, is being used.

Edited by Rope - 21 Sep 2017 at 4:00am
Rope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 4:12am
Ok, next update.  Booted with 3 sticks - D2/C2/A2 - would not boot as 3200 even with the same timings.  Boots as single channel.  Also, hardware reserve uses up 8 gb again.

Put the Ram in D2/C2/B2, boots as single channel and at 3200.  Hardware reserve in windows is back to 120 mb.

Going to try 4 sticks in the A1/B1/C1/D1 and see how that performs.  Otherwise, I believe my motherboard has an issue with the A memory slots and will most likely need to be RMA'd as the memory works well.
Rope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 4:20am
Last thing I can try, so A1/B1/C1/D1 boots as quad channel, however, hardware reserve shoots back up to 8gb and the ram will not post at 3200, only 2133. 

So, looks like there is an issue with my motherboards A ram slots. 

Going to look into a RMA of the motherboard.  I like this board enough and was very easy to work with.  Hopefully the RMA goes well, if so I will be sticking with ASRock.

Actually, one question before I really dive into this process:
Would this be an issue with mobo or with my TR chip?  I believe the memory controller is on the TR chip and could that be the issue and not the mobo itself?

Edited by Rope - 21 Sep 2017 at 4:32am
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 4:50am
well to be fair

the ram is 'ryzen friendly'
alas experiance with threadripper isnt my forte

did you raise the dram and soc volts also ?

Edited by datonyb - 21 Sep 2017 at 4:51am
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Rope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 4:57am
Nope.  All I did was just enable the xmp3200 profile and change the timings.  Will try going back to just D2/C2 and simply select the xmp profile and see if that works without changing the timings. 

Yea, D2/C2 just select XMP3200 and booted up no issue.  Definitely leaning towards it being an issue with the motherboard.  Oh well, Newegg made the RMA relatively easy, so we'll see how it goes.

Edited by Rope - 21 Sep 2017 at 5:03am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 9:26am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

well to be fair

the ram is 'ryzen friendly'
alas experiance with threadripper isnt my forte

did you raise the dram and soc volts also ?

Originally posted by Rope Rope wrote:

Nope.  All I did was just enable the xmp3200 profile and change the timings.  Will try going back to just D2/C2 and simply select the xmp profile and see if that works without changing the timings. 

Yea, D2/C2 just select XMP3200 and booted up no issue.  Definitely leaning towards it being an issue with the motherboard.  Oh well, Newegg made the RMA relatively easy, so we'll see how it goes.

Sorry but raising the SOC voltage as datonyb suggested, is a standard Ryzen memory over clocking procedure. Just as on Intel systems, increasing the VCCSA and VCCIO voltages for memory over clocking is required. SOC voltage will not be increased automatically via an XMP profile.

You may have had a problem with your X399 Taichi board, fine. But if the X399 system is anything like Ryzen/X370, you will need to increase the SOC voltage when you over clock your memory.

The stock/default SOC voltage on standard Ryzen boards is 0.900V. Normally setting SOC voltage to 1.100V will be necessary for a memory OC. Note that the SOC voltage has an LLC setting, as well as a voltage mode, such as Fixed or Offset. That indicates how important it is. We have yet to learn how much is needed for X399/Threadripper, but going with what works for Ryzen makes sense.

DRAM voltage at 1.35V should be done automatically with the XMP profile. If it isn't, then it must be done manually, unless your memory is rated to operate at say 3200 with 1.2V.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 2:33pm
F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR Samsung B-die best I can tell

BCLK 100

Choose XMP 3200, then BEFORE Saving, overwrite ONLY the below
18-16-16-38-75
2T
vDIMM 1.35 (Default)
SoC 1.1

Now Save and Exit.

Post back with those please.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic