ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H170M Pro4 resume from sleep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tashawn22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tashawn22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H170M Pro4 resume from sleep
    Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 2:33am
Has there been any update from Asrock on this?  I just got a custom build delivered with v1.0 of the bios installed.  I was having the same issue with no signal being delivered to the monitor after sleep and after crashes.  I flashed straight to the latest bios and it didn't fix the sleep issue (but it did solve the BSODs).  I'm going to try reverting back to bios v1.3 to see if it solves it.  Then, I guess I'll try flashing back to the latest to see if it sticks.  However, my prior understanding was that sequential flashing was not necessary. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 1:32am
Russell, in between you shutting it down to change from card to onboard, clear the CMOS via the remove the batter and rejigger the CLRCMOS jumper.

Onboard should work after that. You may to to reset any BIOS settings afterwards that it relies on for HDD/SSD settings. I would if you have RAIDed drives disconnect the prior so nothing gets hosed with the drives while doing this. A HDD is not req'd to get into the BIOS.
russellmcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellmcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 1:04am
I didn't hear fro anyone as a result of my last post, so I went ahead and updated my Bios to the latest version. I rebooted several days ago and I'm still waiting for the monitor to wake up.

I think I'm going to have to remove my gpu and see if I can get a monitor signal using the on board graphics controller.

Inasmuch as I can't currently get to the bios the question is, do I have to do anything special to re-activate the on board graphics?

I hope I hear from someone with some experience with this motherboard, or I'm going to be forced to take the entire computer to a local pc shop.

Replies appreciated.
Regards,
Russell Cox
keeka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 7:29pm
Hi wardog.  Yes, the monitor detects a signal immediately when using the HDMI connection on the H170M PRO4.

The other most recent board I have here is a Gigabyte z77x-ud5h.  This doesn't exhibit the displayPort delay.  That board drives the same monitor fine be it connected to onboard HDMI, DVI or DisplayPort.

This monitor only supports native res via DVI or displayPort, and only 1080p via HDMI.
Whilst the H170M PRO4 outputs the required resolution on displayPort and HDMI outputs.

Luckily I spotted this limitation before commiting to buying a new mobo, as it severely limits my choice of H170 motherboard.  I almost overlooked it.  Annoying that the H|Z170 intel video dropped max DVI to 1920*1200.  A retrograde step compared to Z77.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 6:51pm
keeka, does it behave this way if you connect the monitor instead via HDMI?

I've noticed oddities using DisplayPort too but not these and not on the x170 boards but my Z77 and FM2+ boards.

Edited by wardog - 16 Jan 2016 at 6:51pm
keeka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 6:42pm
Though incrementally upgrading the BIOS fixed waking from sleep, I do see something similar to russellmcox:

If I boot from cold, the monitor only seems to detect a signal once an installed OS has booted.  e.g. with windows 7, the display only activates once windows has made it to the login prompt.  I do not see UEFI screen or windows splash screen.  Virtually identical behaviour if booting Ubuntu 16.04.
I never see the UEFI menu screen nor do I see the UEFI boot menu (F11), though I believe it's activated as I can boot a non default OS using arrow keys and enter.
If I reboot the machine, the monitor receives a signal immediately.
This means I can only view the UEFI after a warm restart!
I am using displayport, connected to a Dell U2713HM.

Something else I have noticed is a spurious entry in the UEFI boot menu that can only be removed by a CMOS reset.
Amongst the legitimate BIOS and UEFI boot choices, is a line containing only an apostrophe '.  Selecting this does nothing other than return you to the boot menu.

Beginning to regret my choice of motherboard and adopting skylake too early!

russellmcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellmcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 4:15am
I am also experiencing a "Monitor Sleep" issue.
When I power down and the PC comes back up, I see a message on the screen "No SIgnal" and then "Monitor Going To Sleep".
The PC seems to go through the motions of powering up, but I can wait an indeterminate number of hours for the Monitor to wake up.
When it does, everything operates normally.

I read this thread and after looking into my own BIOS, I see my version is 1.2A.
The ASRock updates suggests updating to 2.50.

I would like some opinion on continuing with this update, before I click on the update.
I don't want to so something I cannot undo.

Please advise...
Regards,
Russell Cox
treno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 12:59am
I have since changed my motherboard with another brand.
What made me decide is an electrical noise (hiss) that wait coming from the board that was disturbing to me. I think the power supply circuitry is not good.
With the new board I have no such problem. It cost me nearly twice as much, though.
Now I have an Asrock board for sale :)
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 12:53am
Thanks for the update guys, I will keep this thread in mind for anyone else with this issue Thumbs Up
keeka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 11:58pm
I've also now upgraded from BIOS 1.5 to 1.8 and sleep/resume continues to work.  FWIW I cleared the CMOS both before and after upgrading the BIOS.

Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic