ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme4, m.2, etc. troubles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mushu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Extreme4, m.2, etc. troubles
    Posted: 08 Mar 2016 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by domogled domogled wrote:

Thanks a lot Mushu Thumbs Up, the settings you've recommended indeed fixed all the issues i had.
Great! So glad that you got your system stabilized.

The shutdown is done properly, the hibernation the same tho takes a bit longer to enter that state, longer that I was used to while using a Z77 platform, it is just fine, yet that hibernation issues i noticed while using various platforms persists. Actually the system wakes up out of the blue, no key or mouse button pressed. anyway that's not an issue of that new platform but something OS related i guess, or perhaps network (Wake on Lan) related as I have the network adapter connected directly to the ONT (fiber optics) equipment and perhaps it just gets woken up from GPON (ONT) device. So not a problem.
I cannot comment on this since I disabled hibernation from windows. I only use sleep.

Then the system no longer hangs while POST-ing, no freeze while accessing windows login page. Indeed i had one freeze but it was my mistake and had nothing to do i guess with the platform. I had an old Samsung ssd pluged on SATA 3_5 and something is wrong with its MBR. It used to be part of a raid0 array long ago, then it worked as a single ssd bootable for couple of years. Any OS could be installed yet if the ssd is connected as an additional device (not booting the os from it) the system hangs and gives all kind of errors, the ssd is detected as an array having its capacity seen as  double. So the freeze I've got, the old Samsung 830 is the culprit. 
Indeed, the uefi/gpt boot scheme is quite touchy and I can see it misbehaving with MBR raid disk as you discribed.

One thing I noticed tho, not an issue as it doesn't bother me at all... I noticed some sort of double start each time i power the system. It starts then quickly shuts down, the led's from power and reset buttons remains on, it shuts itself down then starts up again and the entire POST sequence is passing quickly and then boots up into Windows. Perhaps it is related to the slight over voltage settings I use for PCH 1.0V and VCCIO.
Now, I am not sure but I think my system does this same dual boot after I have reset the CMOS. I believe it is some automatic process that adjusts voltages/memory timings etc. to facilitate a successful boot. It could be MB battery related, or maybe some memory setting is not sitting well with the MB.

I've got no bsod or hanged program so far, actually the sole reason I upped a bit the frequency was that I thought it will be more stable using the memory divider for 2800 than the one for 2666.

As long as the system is stable and you are happy with it - all is good.

domogled View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote domogled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 10:43pm
Thanks a lot Mushu Thumbs Up, the settings you've recommended indeed fixed all the issues i had.  
The shutdown is done properly, the hibernation the same tho takes a bit longer to enter that state, longer that I was used to while using a Z77 platform, it is just fine, yet that hibernation issues i noticed while using various platforms persists. Actually the system wakes up out of the blue, no key or mouse button pressed. anyway that's not an issue of that new platform but something OS related i guess, or perhaps network (Wake on Lan) related as I have the network adapter connected directly to the ONT (fiber optics) equipment and perhaps it just gets woken up from GPON (ONT) device. So not a problem.
Then the system no longer hangs while POST-ing, no freeze while accessing windows login page. Indeed i had one freeze but it was my mistake and had nothing to do i guess with the platform. I had an old Samsung ssd pluged on SATA 3_5 and something is wrong with its MBR. It used to be part of a raid0 array long ago, then it worked as a single ssd bootable for couple of years. Any OS could be installed yet if the ssd is connected as an additional device (not booting the os from it) the system hangs and gives all kind of errors, the ssd is detected as an array having its capacity seen as  double. So the freeze I've got, the old Samsung 830 is the culprit.
One thing I noticed tho, not an issue as it doesn't bother me at all... I noticed some sort of double start each time i power the system. It starts then quickly shuts down, the led's from power and reset buttons remains on, it shuts itself down then starts up again and the entire POST sequence is passing quickly and then boots up into Windows. Perhaps it is related to the slight over voltage settings I use for PCH 1.0V and VCCIO.
I plan to run the memtest from a hiren;s boot disc and check if any memory errors occurs wil running both modules at 1.27v for 2800Mhz. I guess the timings should be lowered while using some poor quality IC's, I have no idea which IC's used Corsair for those vengeance modules but i guess they're just fine with those primary latencies made for 2666mhz profile. I've got no bsod or hanged program so far, actually the sole reason I upped a bit the frequency was that I thought it will be more stable using the memory divider for 2800 than the one for 2666.
I gave a try on yesterday for a slight overclocking from 3700 mhz i upped the frequency to 4120, and as i use the stock cooler that wes as far as i ventured. It seems the 133mhz strap and the accroding memory dividers are not so great for these ram modules, and using the 100mhz strap the dividers were not that many. It was fun tho, yet the iGPU had to be turned off.As i plan to use the iGPU as graphics signal source the cpu overclocking of the i3 6100 will stay out of discussion. For the moment i am between monitors :) i sold the 24 inches planning to go for a 40 incher or 32, so i am back using some old dell 21'CRT, i have to use dedicated graphics solely for the vga output  present on discrete graphics card but not present among the mainboard's outputs, so still curious about a slight overclocking for a little longer till i will remove completely the discrete card and swap back the iGPU and no more fun that way :)
Thanks for your support Mushu !

Mushu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 8:46pm

indeed i use the xmp profile, actually the profile for xmp-2666 It requires ther same 1.2v, as all  the other profiles either be spd(jedec) or xmp. I set the memory manually to work at 2800 but I haven't  changed anything else, i left them all on auto and it  results in a slight voltage increase to 1.27v, done automatically by the auto setting in bios/uefy. Shouldn't  just let it manage the amount of voltage it finds to be necessary, i mean it is not a problem to rise manually the voltage to 1.35v i just thought not to wear the modules too much if they do not require a higher than 1.27v.
Ok, now given that you are running outside the XMP profile, it is not guaranteed that memory performs with standard DDR4 1.2V voltage (even 1.27V might not be enough). Typically the higher the frequency the more relaxed the timings must be and also it tends to draw more power -thus a bump in voltage is often required and maybe a drop in the timings too. ps. Auto voltage setting is a very conservative in its "guess". 1.27V might be enough to boot but not enough to assure proper functionality during heavy operations. Might make sense to run memtest to verify minimum required voltage as too low memory voltage can cause miss writes and corruption of the OS.

I wrote down the rest of the settings and i'll set them accordingly.
Indeed I had the fast boot set on dispabled, yet enabling it the CSM section disappears completely.
If i deactivate de boot loader the system hangs again at win logon image, so it is no go for me that way.
The CSM disappears when fast boot is enabled, but the settings seem to remain inside the CSM -thus I recommend to set them before disabling the CSM and enabling fast boot.
Additionally, disabling the boot manager (under tools page in bios) should not affect normal booting. The boot manager is for setting custom names and order for different boot media. Hanging with it disabled would indicate that stability problem still persists.
domogled View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote domogled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 1:44am
Thanks a lot Mushu,
indeed i use the xmp profile, actually the profile for xmp-2666 It requires ther same 1.2v, as all  the other profiles either be spd(jedec) or xmp. I set the memory manually to work at 2800 but I haven't  changed anything else, i left them all on auto and it  results in a slight voltage increase to 1.27v, done automatically by the auto setting in bios/uefy. Shouldn't  just let it manage the amount of voltage it finds to be necessary, i mean it is not a problem to rise manually the voltage to 1.35v i just thought not to wear the modules too much if they do not require a higher than 1.27v.
I wrote down the rest of the settings and i'll set them accordingly.
Indeed I had the fast boot set on dispabled, yet enabling it the CSM section disappears completely.
If i deactivate de boot loader the system hangs again at win logon image, so it is no go for me that way.
I'll be back with opinions and hopefully improvements regarding my system in the next days.
thank you !

Mushu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 10:56pm

Well I moved my memory modules closer to the cpu from A2 & B2  to A1 & B1. I thought i should give it a try and see. Out of 4 boot ups so far 3 were successful, no hang ups. Yesterday tho it hanged with a "00" code but right after reset it booted up with no hangs in windows logon.
I recon you use XMP profile for your memory, not sure If you tried already but make sure your DDR voltage is set to 1.35V. Also double check that the "auto" values match to those recommeded by memory manufacturer.

I wonder whether the 2.90 might be a good idea for my 4+ too, is there any other difference  between 4 and 4+ apart of the external bay? Maybe different pcb revisions of the same board? 
I have to read more about your settings to understand your approach. 
Right now i have no clue whether 2.90 is good for me or not, I am still using 2.,30 as 2.40 comes with some certain limitations. 
I would advice against to cross using bioses... doubt it is even possible to flash by "normal" means.
My advice would be to try to make these 3 setting changes as I did and see if it solves your remaining stability problems.
BCLK to 100.000 (not auto)
PCH +1.0 Voltage up by 0.050V => 1.150V
VCCIO Voltage up by 0.050V => 1.200V

Originally posted by Christer703 Christer703 wrote:

Okay so after some emails back and forth with Asrock support, they sent me a bios update. (version 3.0). 
This actually fixed the problem for meClapStar The Ultra m2 port now runs in PCIe 3.0 X4 mode all the time with full speed 100% of the time. 
Great news! Thank you for posting Christer. Hope Asrock gets the 3.0 out for rest of the ppl as well. Heres hoping it is a more general fix for a lot of these m.2 related issues.

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I would like to see a screenshot of your AS SSD results, as well as information about its configuration.

Glad to oblige, please note though that I only have the 2 Sandisk ultra ii 960gb, Revision X35510RL in RAID0. Z170 Extreme4 got only 1 m.2 port.
RAID0 configuration; stripe size 16kB, write-cache buffer flushing: enabled, Cache mode: off, GPT partition, NTFS filesystem.
So here are my results with the bios 2.90 (with updated intel RST(e) efi driver: 14.8.2.2397) and intel raid driver (OS) 14.8.1.1043. (ps. results similar with default 2.90 bios)
RAID0

In case someone is curious here are the M.2 samsung SM951 results: (samsung driver 1.4.7.17)

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Mushu Mushu wrote:

Hi guys,

I can also confirm this problem, random to no success in getting to windows after OS install.

Then the good news:
I managed to circumvent most of my earlier problems by doing the following
Updated to bios 2.90
PCH +1.0 Voltage up by 0.050V => 1.150V (<- this is now the same value as it was with bios 2.40)
VCCIO Voltage up by 0.050V => 1.200V (<- this is now the same value as it was with bios 2.40)
CSM disabled (first set all subpolicies to do not launch)
fast boot enabled
boot manager disabled
Clean OS install

Additionally I updated the EFI drivers inside the BIOS, but this is not necessary for stability. I just wanted to have newer raid driver...

Now I have a fully stable system, with no random loss(disappearance) of the M.2 drive during boot up.
Every boot works like it should, be it cold or reset. Sleep also works as it should and even M.2 channel is at PCIE 3.0 with R:~1800M and W:~1250M.

My remaining issues are the low read performance of the M.2 and too high access time/low read IOPS for the SSD raid0 set.[0.250-0.170ms read access time according to AS SSD benchmark, read IOPS should be 2-4 times as high for 512B packet size, same problem without bios package modifications]
Luckily I can live with these annoyances for the time being.

Given my personal experience with the performance of PCIe SSDs in RAID 0, and that of others in several threads that are months old now, the results are consistently disappointing. The only thing I found that helps the performance is setting the RAID 0 stripe size to 128K. The default stripe size of 16K gives results that are barely if at all better than a single PCIe SSD.

The RAID 0 scaling of performance we get with SATA SSDs is not seen with PCIe SSDs, at least not yet. The Intel IRST driver is a factor in this, or the bandwidth of the PCIe interface is simply not up to providing the performance we expect to see. If you are using the Windows RAID capability, then its performance is another thing entirely, and is normally not as good as the Intel RAID.

I would like to see a screenshot of your AS SSD results, as well as information about its configuration.
Christer703 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christer703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 12:12am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Originally posted by AlexF AlexF wrote:

I am having the same problem Christer has.  My read speeds are too slow (especially random read).  The speed jumps remarkably for a seconds when I put the computer to sleep and then wake it back up and immediately run the Samsung Magician benchmark test -- but then it drops to being slow again.  I installed all the latest chipset drivers and the Samsung NMVe driver.  My memory is running at 3200, I have a SATA SSD and SATA HDD plugged in as well.

My setup is:
GIGABYTE GA-Z170N-WIFI (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
+
Intel Core i5-6500 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I56500 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530
+
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVK
+
SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 256GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V5P256BW

Thanks for this information. Sorry you have this problem, but that it happens on another manufacture's mother board makes this issue a potential problem with the 950 Pro itself. I'm NOT saying I know this is true, but if we see more cases of this on other boards, that puts the drive itself into doubt.

Okay so after some emails back and forth with Asrock support, they sent me a bios update. (version 3.0). 
This actually fixed the problem for meClapStar The Ultra m2 port now runs in PCIe 3.0 X4 mode all the time with full speed 100% of the time. 
domogled View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote domogled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 10:27pm
Hey Mushu,
I have an improvement yet I do not know it is just luck because I made the change only 3 days ago, so not many bootups-shutdown to confirm as a rule, rather I'd call it an improvement. Well I moved my memory modules closer to the cpu from A2 & B2  to A1 & B1. I thought i should give it a try and see. Out of 4 boot ups so far 3 were successful, no hang ups. Yesterday tho it hanged with a "00" code but right after reset it booted up with no hangs in windows logon. Actually I experienced no more windows login hangs at all, just a asingle hang with "05" code while shutting down but only once out of 3 shutdowns
I wonoder whether the 2.90 might be a good idea for my 4+ too, is there any other difference   between 4 and 4+ apart of the external bay? Maybe different pcb revisions of the same board?
I have to read more about your settings to understand your approach.
Right now i have no clue whether 2.90 is good for me or not, i am still using 2.,30 as 2.40 comes with some certain limitations.
Mushu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 11:24pm
Hi guys,

Originally posted by netjrb netjrb wrote:

Mushu,
Did you have any Blu-ray or DVD drives hooked to your ASMedia ports?

No I don't have anything connected to those ports, I have tried also disabling those before OS install. It made no difference.

Originally posted by AlexF AlexF wrote:

As you can see the writes both are very good.  The sequential read is about 10-15% slower than I would expect....however, the random read is TERRIBLE.
I have a SM951 and can confirm similar result on poor read speed, (even with the fix I did). Should be around 2200MB for SM951 but I get only ~1800. My write speed however is at 1250MB as it should.

Small problem first: 2 out of 3 shutdowns, the system shuts itself down, the windows is closing but electrically is still on, the coolers still spinning yet the OS is off, blank/black screen.
I have to force the shut down from the button so it is also shut down electrically.
I can confirm this problem, I had this happen to me alot too. (I have the Z170 Extreme4)

And now the bigger problem, after 16 hours being completely off, no power in psu I switch the supply;s power button and power on the system from mobo;s button (I do not use a case).So i attempt a cold boot from the very beginning. The boot sequence (POST) is very oiften long, takes long to pass,  sometimes hangs at various codes either 35, 53, F4 (no it is not memory related as it  presents also while memory running at 2133) . I have to press reset, then at second, or third try the POST sequence is finally passing til code 99, it beeps for ok and onward to the windows logon screen... when it hangs. I have to press the reset button once again but if i wait for too long, the reset button won't go so i press the power button for 4 seconds. So, the second attempt, it hangs again, maybe, or maybe not. Sometimes I just shut down the power source from its button and it boots up like nothing ever happened before, quicker and maybe it hands while windows logon or maybe not. 
I know you may say, too many variables, why do you still use win 7 sp1 64. Well I believe the hanging at post is quite odd and has nothing to do with the operating system, and I guess the partial shutdown is about the same, motherboard related issue as operating system is closed yet electrically the system is still on. 
I can also confirm this problem, random to no success in getting to windows after OS install.

Then the good news:
I managed to circumvent most of my earlier problems by doing the following
Updated to bios 2.90
PCH +1.0 Voltage up by 0.050V => 1.150V (<- this is now the same value as it was with bios 2.40)
VCCIO Voltage up by 0.050V => 1.200V (<- this is now the same value as it was with bios 2.40)
CSM disabled (first set all subpolicies to do not launch)
fast boot enabled
boot manager disabled
Clean OS install

Additionally I updated the EFI drivers inside the BIOS, but this is not necessary for stability. I just wanted to have newer raid driver...

Now I have a fully stable system, with no random loss(disappearance) of the M.2 drive during boot up.
Every boot works like it should, be it cold or reset. Sleep also works as it should and even M.2 channel is at PCIE 3.0 with R:~1800M and W:~1250M.

My remaining issues are the low read performance of the M.2 and too high access time/low read IOPS for the SSD raid0 set.[0.250-0.170ms read access time according to AS SSD benchmark, read IOPS should be 2-4 times as high for 512B packet size, same problem without bios package modifications]
Luckily I can live with these annoyances for the time being.
domogled View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote domogled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 4:36am
Hello everyone,
it is my first post here on asrock forum.
I purchased an Asrock Z170 Extreme4+ motherboard couple of weeks ago, it is my third Asrock motherboard afterZ77 OC Formula and some socket a/462 motherboard I owned 12 years ago or more.
Got some issues, various issues with the system I've built (I3 6100,Corsair Vengeance 2666 2*8GB, Samsung 950Pro 256GB NVME, WD 6TB green as hdd, one bluray writer, one dvd writer and an Asus Xonar sound card [from  my previous system]).
.The system runs win 7 sp1 64 installed from a stick and nvme drivers loaded also from a stick during installation.
The system is great while working :D the problems occurs while trying to boot up and while shutting it down.
Small problem first: 2 out of 3 shutdowns, the system shuts itself down, the windows is closing but electrically is still on, the coolers still spinning yet the OS is off, blank/black screen.
I have to force the shut down from the button so it is also shut down electrically.
And now the bigger problem, after 16 hours being completely off, no power in psu I switch the supply;s power button and power on the system from mobo;s button (I do not use a case).So i attempt a cold boot from the very beginning. The boot sequence (POST) is very oiften long, takes long to pass,  sometimes hangs at various codes either 35, 53, F4 (no it is not memory related as it  presents also while memory running at 2133) . I have to press reset, then at second, or third try the POST sequence is finally passing til code 99, it beeps for ok and onward to the windows logon screen... when it hangs. I have to press the reset button once again but if i wait for too long, the reset button won't go so i press the power button for 4 seconds. So, the second attempt, it hangs again, maybe, or maybe not. Sometimes I just shut down the power source from its button and it boots up like nothing ever happened before, quicker and maybe it hands while windows logon or maybe not.
I know you may say, too many variables, why do you still use win 7 sp1 64. Well I believe the hanging at post is quite odd and has nothing to do with the operating system, and I guess the partial shutdown is about the same, motherboard related issue as operating system is closed yet electrically the system is still on.
But, tha annyoinf thing is that the system works like a charm, after i managed to boot it in windows no complains whatsoever while it is on. Everyday i spend like 10-15 minutes to power it on.
There is one slight overclocking concerning the ram modules, they are rated as 2666mhz but i keep them at 2800mhz. No voltage adjustments, everything on auto. The problems remains either i set the ram modules at 2666 or 2133, it  behaves the very same.
All drivers are the latest ones available, the NVME ones for the ssd are the latest available from Samsung and where installed while installing the windows, so no other drivers ever used before.
The bios version i use is 2.30. not the latest but the previous one.
One question tho, is there any difference between extreme4 bioses and extreme4+ ones? I mean the board is the same, extrem4+ has the usb3.1 panel. By the way, I've got the bay but not sata express cable so the panel is unusable for me no cable to connect it to the motherboard :(
I installed windows 7 with CSM setting as uefi. Any ideas?
Thanks for your time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic