ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - eXtreme Tuning Utility freezes system after resume
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

eXtreme Tuning Utility freezes system after resume

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BabbleBits View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbleBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: eXtreme Tuning Utility freezes system after resume
    Posted: 16 May 2016 at 4:46am
Hi Parsec.  Thanks for your quick reply.

I have good news to report ... I was sure that I had installed the AMD all in 1 driver ... but after reading your post I thought I'd download it for my 970M Pro3 MB and run it again just to be sure. It apparently updated 1 or 2 drivers during this last install ... that must have been newer or better drivers than Windows 10 had installed by default (there were no ! type issues in Device Manager either before or after running the "AMD All in 1" package).

The good news is that I'm no longer experiencing the total system hang on resume from sleep if the ASRock eXtreme Tuning utility was either open or enabled on windows restart.  If I leave the window open and put the computer into sleep, when I resume the computer, if I click on aXtu, a Windows Pop-Up does appear indicating that the program isn't responding, but if I click to wait for it to respond, eventually it does respond and it resumes working OK. Smile

Prior to installing the "AMD All in 1" driver package, my whole system got hung after resume from sleep if aXtu had been running ... but this issue is gone now.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by BabbleBits - 16 May 2016 at 4:52am
Best regards,
BabbleBits
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 12:20am
Originally posted by BabbleBits BabbleBits wrote:

Just thought I'd post this here in case someone else is trying to diagnose why their Windows 10 (64 bit) system hangs after resuming from sleep AND you have aXtu open (or hidden in notification area).

I've found that I cannot have ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility (version 0.1.434) running (even if hidden as icon in Windows notification area) when putting computer to sleep.  Windows 10 will be unresponsive shortly after resuming from sleep. (Note: Deep Sleep is DISABLED in my BIOS)

MB: 970M Pro3
CPU: FX 8370
Video: Gigabyte GT 730
RAM: 32Gb Balistix 1866
BIOS: P1.40 & P1.50

If I have the checkbox "Auto run when windows start" enabled in ASRock eXtreme Tuning Utility version 0.1.434, when the system reboots, the eXtreme Tuning Utility (aXtu) will appear momentarily after logging in, then it hides with an icon in the Windows Notification Area.

After putting the system to sleep, then waking the system later (by mouse or keyboard input), the system will resume from sleep ... sometimes the screen locks up while providing Windows password ... sometimes it will allow me to log in.  But, invariably, the system will hang after logging in, within 1 minute or so.

Odd thing about this is the mouse cursor is responsive and tracking correctly, but every open window (like a browser) is unresponsive. The keyboard is unresponsive ... ctrl-alt-delete does nothing, windows key does nothing, clicking anywhere on screen does nothing. Pressing the power button for a short moment on the computer will shut the computer down properly ... if Windows Power Options is set for that. So system is running, kind-of.

By disabling ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility "Auto run when windows start" ... AND making sure it is not otherwise open/running, the system will sleep and resume without any issues. So it's definitely the tuning utility causing the issue.

I can reproduce this nasty bug every time. Easiest way to lock up the system is to just have aXtu opened when putting the computer into sleep. Upon resume, aXtu causes Windows pop-up "AsrXTU.exe is not responding" ... shortly after that, all windows are locked and computer is basically unresponsive ... except the mouse cursor still tracks.

This issue is Sooo frustrating ... after a new build, trying to tune and diagnose stability issues, if any, the last thing that should be causing stability issues is the ASRock tuning utility itself!

Argh.... 

First, thanks for your detailed post about your system and how you run and use the AXTU utility provided with your board. I have no questions about your use of AXTU, etc.

Wake from Sleep issues are common and frustrating. I cannot even recall all the details of all the wake from Sleep problems I've had. Those ranged from a complete failure of the video card to function when waking the PC, to various failures with running software, including Windows services, which AXTU is when configured as you described.

I just tried putting my PC into Sleep mode with the equivalent ASRock utility for my board (A-Tuning) running, and then waking it. My PC hardware is completely different than yours, an ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ board, but I am using Windows 10 64bit.

In my situation, A-Tuning continued to run after I woke the PC from Sleep, and still is as I type this on that PC. Windows 10 is working fine, and the Firefox browser I had running when I went into Sleep mode continued to work and I'm writing this post from that instance of running it.

I'm NOT saying that you are wrong about your problem, just that different systems can and do produce different results.

Have you looked at the Windows Event Log entries, for any clues about the failure beyond AXTU?

Did you install the AMD all in 1 driver ver:15.20.1060 for Windows 10, from your board's download page? Just curious if you installed that, or whatever Windows 10 automatically installs. Does AMD provide new versions of that driver package for download?

I've had different Windows 10 builds cause new issues, have you asked about this problem in any of the Microsoft support forums?

I don't have a fix for your problem, sorry to say. I've had wake from Sleep issues that were never solved on some PC systems.
BabbleBits View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbleBits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 10:49pm
EDIT: -- Problem is resolved. After downloading and installing the "AMD All in 1" driver package from the ASRock download page for my MB (970M Pro3), the aXtu program no longer locked up my PC after resuming from sleep. Apparently just using the default drivers from Windows 10 update wasn't enough.

--------------------------------------
Original Post:
--------------------------------------

Just thought I'd post this here in case someone else is trying to diagnose why their Windows 10 (64 bit) system hangs after resuming from sleep AND you have aXtu open (or hidden in notification area).

I've found that I cannot have ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility (version 0.1.434) running (even if hidden as icon in Windows notification area) when putting computer to sleep.  Windows 10 will be unresponsive shortly after resuming from sleep. (Note: Deep Sleep is DISABLED in my BIOS)

MB: 970M Pro3
CPU: FX 8370
Video: Gigabyte GT 730
RAM: 32Gb Balistix 1866
BIOS: P1.40 & P1.50

If I have the checkbox "Auto run when windows start" enabled in ASRock eXtreme Tuning Utility version 0.1.434, when the system reboots, the eXtreme Tuning Utility (aXtu) will appear momentarily after logging in, then it hides with an icon in the Windows Notification Area.

After putting the system to sleep, then waking the system later (by mouse or keyboard input), the system will resume from sleep ... sometimes the screen locks up while providing Windows password ... sometimes it will allow me to log in.  But, invariably, the system will hang after logging in, within 1 minute or so.

Odd thing about this is the mouse cursor is responsive and tracking correctly, but every open window (like a browser) is unresponsive. The keyboard is unresponsive ... ctrl-alt-delete does nothing, windows key does nothing, clicking anywhere on screen does nothing. Pressing the power button for a short moment on the computer will shut the computer down properly ... if Windows Power Options is set for that. So system is running, kind-of.

By disabling ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility "Auto run when windows start" ... AND making sure it is not otherwise open/running, the system will sleep and resume without any issues. So it's definitely the tuning utility causing the issue.

I can reproduce this nasty bug every time. Easiest way to lock up the system is to just have aXtu opened when putting the computer into sleep. Upon resume, aXtu causes Windows pop-up "AsrXTU.exe is not responding" ... shortly after that, all windows are locked and computer is basically unresponsive ... except the mouse cursor still tracks.

This issue is Sooo frustrating ... after a new build, trying to tune and diagnose stability issues, if any, the last thing that should be causing stability issues is the ASRock tuning utility itself!

Argh.... 

Edited by BabbleBits - 16 May 2016 at 4:50am
Best regards,
BabbleBits
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic