ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

760GM-HDV MB SATA support

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AZgene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZgene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 760GM-HDV MB SATA support
    Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by kerberos_20 kerberos_20 wrote:

so your configuration would be:
SATA operation mode = AHCI
SATA IDE Combined Mode = Disabled

Yes, I concur. In testing the combinations I see that "mode=IDE" and "IDE combined=disabled" drops SATA ports 3 & 4 completely out of the BIOS menu. The other two combinations, i.e. AHCI+Enabled and IDE+Enabled, are a mixed bag. In any case, the settings you have shown are the best for my system and the SSD storage devices I have installed on ports 1 & 2 (and DVD on port 3). Linux and Windows 7 are happy.

Your concise description, especially regarding IDE combined mode, put all my tests into a logical picture. Something similar in the User Manual would be nice.

The OP question is resolved. Case closed.

P.S.: ...sorry for the delay in getting back here. The USPS (US Package Storage) took their sweet time in delivering the SSD devices.
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 11:26pm
if you enable SATA IDE Combined Mode,  is to make SATA port 3 and 4 act like IDE ports. If you disable it, all 4 SATA ports act as native SATA ports.

so your configuration would be:
SATA operation mode = AHCI
SATA IDE Combined Mode = Disabled

nothing else

Edited by kerberos_20 - 14 Sep 2018 at 11:27pm
AZgene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZgene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 1:20pm
Good news on the BIOS flash/update.
Re-formatted the USB drive as FAT32; and, more importantly, one must plug in the USB drive before booting into BIOS setup! Otherwise it is not recognized, even with a F3 (rescan) action in the Instant Flash utility.
That worked o.k., and BIOS is now updated to version 1.20
However, that apparently did not change anything in the SATA port configuration pages. There are 2 parameters for the SATA ports: SATA operation mode = either IDE or AHCI; and, SATA IDE Combined Mode = either Enabled or Disabled. So, there are only 4 possible combinations. Well, how long can it take to test all four combinations? I will do that, now that any uncertainty about the BIOS version 1.10 update to 1.20 has been removed.

Re: ports 3 and 4 set to ide/ahci. The BIOS page for Storage Configuration has just one place to choose IDE vs. AHCI - I don't see any way to apply that selectively to the 4 ports. This is the underlying symptom that is the subject of this thread - How are ports 1 & 2 different from ports 3 & 4?

I am expecting a new SSD drive to arrive today and that will give me another SATA device to experiment with. As said above, I'll try the 4 combinations of SATA port parameters and let you know what I learn from that. (Based on my experience with the BIOS upgrade it appears I should/must re-boot with any changes to either the BIOS settings or the attached SATA devices.)
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 7:20pm
i think your pictures are different becuase the port 3 and 4 are set to ide and not achi

hence why its showing lba /block etc

hence why im suggesting trying this method
and hopefully they will then show similar to sata 1-2
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
AZgene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZgene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

and bios flash

use another usb

What format(s) are valid? I let Windows 7 format a USB drive (small capacity) as FAT16. Downloaded the BIOS file "760GM-HDV(1.20)ROM.zip" and unzipped it to "760GHDV1.20" and copied to the base/root level directory. The USB device is identified but no files shown as valid BIOS files. Is "Instant Flash" expecting the raw zip file? Is it confused by the .20 "extension"? Does it have to be in a specific directory? (Windows opens the USB device and displays the file name o.k.)

Re: SATA, manual page 43...
The manual implies that all 4 ports are the same. They are not, as seen in the pictures in a previous post. I will try more combinations of the IDE/AHCI choices.

I realize this thread is split between BIOS and SATA issues - but my worry is that they could be related, i.e. if BIOS 1.1 and 1.2 handle the SATA setup differently.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 2:50am
and bios flash

use another usb

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 2:49am
page 43 of your manual storage configuration

try changing sata operation mode to ahci or if its set ahci turn to ide (i think its probably on ide)
and sata combined mode try altering this  enabled/disabled

AZgene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZgene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 2:14am
O.K., got it...
Here's the BIOS screen for either port 3 or 4

...and here's the BIOS screen for either port 1 or 2

See an earlier post in this thread for the available options, not shown in these pics.

(I'll eventually learn how to scale these pictures to the right size for the forum messages.)
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 4:44am
put your picture there and post a link to it, am pretty sure its written on forums (sticky thread)
AZgene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZgene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 12:22pm
... post pictures ...

I have JPG files but Message board editor "insert image" control says "enter the web address of the image." FAQ regarding images says I need forum administrator authorization to upload images; or, to place them on public access file storage services - which I don't have.

Hopefully this can be resolved...   Meanwhile, Ports 1 & 2 do not have a "device type" choice, just [auto] or [not installed]. Ports 3 & 4 have a "Type" parameter field with choices [not installed] [auto] [CD/DVD] [ARMD]. I confess I don't even know what an ARMD device is.

I will try a BIOS "restore defaults" and experiment some more. I seem to be seeing some differences in the BIOS reaction to moving the SATA cables around depending upon whether I do a "cold" start (i.e. power completely off) or a "warm" start (i.e. reboot from the BIOS "exit" menu).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic