ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question on 12v power connections B550 Pro4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2023 at 2:23am
Xaltar beat me to it again. The only real -issue- quirk with using too-much power supply is that the efficiency at very low load (under 20% load) tend to be pretty bad. They have been improving on this, though (search for differences among Gold, Platinum, and Titanium rated power supplies). The requirements are different for 20%, 50%, and 100% loads.

Among my systems, one of my favorite is a Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G system, using a Mini-Box M3-ATX power supply, which is a tiny plug-type power supply rated for just 125W. It has better than 94% efficiency at 50% load, and can be powered from wide voltage ranges. It's great for supplemental solar power *without* batteries, when used with Mini-Box's Y-PWR (wall power + solar panel power). It will run 100% solar when there's enough sun, and no need to deal with batteries. I'm generally a low-power kind of guy, after all.
Quexos View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Quexos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by eccential eccential wrote:

Xaltar beat me to it again. The only real -issue- quirk with using too-much power supply is that the efficiency at very low load (under 20% load) tend to be pretty bad.

He beat me too, but yup, I figure a 1000w would put me in that 20% low efficient range and a 600w would put me in the 90% working too hard range. The reviews on the XPG Core Reactor I got say it is very efficient at lower loads so I think I am right where I want to be. Basically just an improved version of what I had, that served me very well for a decade.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic