ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cpu and Dram red lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eerie_Von Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cpu and Dram red lights
    Posted: 13 Jul 2024 at 9:22pm
So like the subject says I'm getting two red solid lights on cpu and dram. This started when I went to restart the system because the mouse pointer had vanished. Once I did then this problem started. I've tried re-seating every component, clearing the cmos, and booting with minimal hardware, but still same issue. When I power the rig on all the fans come on, like everything is getting power. So I don't know if this a power supply or mobo problem...or something simple that I've missed.
Any help would be great.
I've got a B550 phantom, with Ryzen 5 5600, and corsair vengeance ram.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2024 at 10:56pm
Solid RAM and CPU being on could mean either a dead CPU or, more likely, a dead
power supply. If the 12v provided by the PSU is too low or is drooping too much
when loaded the lights will remain lit to indicate the CPU was unable to initialize.
Eerie_Von View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eerie_Von Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 12:30am
I'll check the power supply. The system is fairly new, built in April of this year. So I was hoping that wouldn't be an issue. But that appears to be my next step.
Appreciate the reply. ??
Eerie_Von View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eerie_Von Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 12:31am
...those ?? Shouldn't have been there...pay them no mind.
Eerie_Von View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eerie_Von Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 3:38am
Checked the power supply and I am getting correct voltage from all the pins. Looks like it is my mobo...
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 5:09am
A voltmeter is not going to tell you everything you need to know about a PSU. If
the 12v rail is rippling too much the board will not allow POST for example. I have
often had PSUs test out fine on the bench with a multimeter but still not function
correctly in a system. Be it load causing droop or ripple (fluctuation) or even
over/under amperage. The only way to rule out a PSU as faulty is to test with another,
known good PSU or testing it with an oscilloscope for load droop and ripple.
In my experience, it's almost never the motherboard unless there was a dead short
somewhere or a blown capacitor etc. In other words, usually, when the motherboard
goes there are obvious signs. Going out with a whimper is usually the PSUs M.O.

Hope this helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic