ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Downgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Downgrade
    Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 9:43pm
I have B450M Pro 4 with BIOS version 4.90. But this version is not recommended for my AMD Ryzen 3 2200G processor. Can I do downgrade BIOS version using instant flash from th BIOS?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 9:57pm
If your system is working, don't do it. The "not recommended for" comment is just ASRock
trying to discourage people pointlessly flashing their BIOS.
Bill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 10:06pm
It's working but suddenly makes restarts or "black screen". What to do? If I can make downgrade by instant flash I will try it.
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 9:03pm
The best thing would be to find out if those restarts and "black screens" are related to BIOS/CPU situation, and not a consequence of some other issues :)
folding@home
Bill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 1:33am
That's I'm saying. In description of 4.90 version says

"*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if you are going to use Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU on your system."

Ryzen 3 2200G is Raven Ridge. In 3.50 version don't says anythink about that. Can I instal 3.50 version with instant flash method?

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450m%20Pro4/?fbclid=IwAR3aOtL-Fi3d5emQiAHK6DWXwbJ2SMeyZU29UhNbMtqKWjH1o-8oG1OVRvM#BIOS
muziqaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muziqaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 4:56am
No, you cannot downgrade BIOS, I'm afraid.
Newer motherboards now has flashback capability, but not older ones
folding@home
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 5:19pm
As I said in my last post, ASRock includes that warning to discourage people from
needlessly updating. There is no benefit to 4.90 over say 3.50 if you are using
an older gen CPU. That said, there is also no issue with using it, especially if
that is what your board shipped with.

Bare in mind that for motherboard manufacturers the vast majority of returns are
as a result of bad BIOS flashes. Discouraging pointless updates saves them money,
time and customer dissatisfaction. I would complain about it but in the end, it
saves a lot of people heartache and frustration so ultimately, its for the user's
own good.
Leila View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2024 at 7:29pm
According to me Yes, you can downgrade the BIOS version using Instant Flash.
Here i mention you can do this-
You can get the recommended BIOS version from the ASRock website.
Format a USB drive to FAT32 and copy the BIOS file to it.
You can restart your PC and press DEL to enter BIOS setup.
Go to the Tools tab, select Instant Flash, and choose the BIOS file from the USB.
Also you can follow the on screen instructions to complete the process.
Downgrading BIOS can be risky.
DEVLOPER
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic