ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Microcode and intel baseline

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote istian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Microcode and intel baseline
    Posted: 12 Aug 2024 at 11:39pm
Hello Asrock team,

I was hoping your admin team could confirm what each option in the new intel baseline spec bios actually does.

So currently I have 3 options, (z790 taichi, latest bios 15.02)
BIOS Defaults,
Performance,
Intel baseline,

I'm pretty clear on intel baseline, the new intel provided settings, and bios defaults I assume is no loaded intel defaults.

But what does the performance option use?
I just want to make sure whether i have to stick to the new intel baseline for the microcode fixes, or i can/should select "performance"

Thanks very much!
Sk1lld View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sk1lld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2024 at 1:40am
This is just my opinion.

The microcode plus base line setting is to protect the CPU from cooking, I can't tell you what to do with your PC. If you want to try performance that's up to you but be aware it could degrade the silicon if you do. At any rate intel has increased their warranty so you should be alright ether way.

If it were me though I will base line and microcode myself.
Sk1lld View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sk1lld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2024 at 8:21am
istian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote istian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2024 at 10:21pm
I agree, thanks!

Although id still be interested to hear an exact description of each setting from the bios designers, just for knowledge etc :)
Sk1lld View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sk1lld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2024 at 3:30am
Sorry, miss read your post, yes it would be nice if they had a description of what each setting does.
Lufty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lufty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 12:38am
The problem is, Intel has stated to run the Intel Defaults. But the ASROCK boards do not lsit this an an option, so we have no idea how to remain safe with these issues.

We need information on WHICH setting is recommended by Intel to not further ruin our CPUs.
Darkje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 7:19am
After some testing i think:
Bios defaults: Intel performance profile(recommended)
Performance: Previously bios defaults, I observed there was no IccMax limit set for example.
Intel baseline: Intel absolute baseline.

as per this document:
https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/June-2024-Guidance-regarding-Intel-Core-13th-and-14th-Gen-K-KF/m-p/1607807

As to what is the 'best' thing to do now, I'm not quite sure. I think "bios Defaults' will do, but maybe 'Intel Baseline' if you really need to be safer than recommend as per Intel's document.
Lufty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lufty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 3:32pm
I have the Z790 PG Riptide latest 16.01 bios.

There is no "Intel Defaults" power option. We currently have:

BIOS Default
Performance Mode
Baseline Mode

On investigation, the power settings options in the microcode bios update have the following Intel recomended Power Delivery Profile settings:

ACCMAX: Baseline175A / Performance 200A
ACCMAX_App: Baseline 150A / Performance 170A
Power Limit 1 (PL1) Baseline 125W / Performance 181W
Power Limit 2 (PL2) Baseline 143W / Performance 181W

Interestingly, when scrolling down to the PL1 settings, it auto changes to 125W without any user input. I have had to load defaults for this to not save.

If anyone has any thoughts on how to prevent this please advise.
Thank you.
Sk1lld View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sk1lld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 11:44pm
Per this article.
https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/June-2024-Guidance-regarding-Intel-Core-13th-and-14th-Gen-K-KF/m-p/1607807

I have set BIOS to.

Long duration - 253
Short duration - 253

CPU Core Unlimited - Disable
CPU Core Current - 307

These settings stabilized the CPU for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic