ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - SSD Won't Boot When Connected To SATA Port...Will
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

SSD Won't Boot When Connected To SATA Port...Will

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARAMP1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SSD Won't Boot When Connected To SATA Port...Will
    Posted: 18 Aug 2024 at 2:15pm
I've made a bootable SSD for Home Assistant OS that I was going to run on an older ASRockRack J1900D2Y motherboard I had laying around. The OS was formatted with the SSD connected in the SATA_1 port using Ubuntu as described on the Home Assistant website.

When the SSD is connected via the SATA port, it's not showing in the BIOS as a bootable drive. When I take it out and put it in a USB enclosure it can boot under UEFI via a USB port and it works as advertised. I've tried both SATA ports with the same results. I've tried other SSDs, other SATA cables, and other power connectors off of the power supply (though since it boots through the USB, I suspect the SSD is good).

In the bios I have SATA Controller ??Enabled and the drive is detected. AHCI is set (vs RAID).

I find it odd that there would be a UEFI boot option for USB but not SATA, but maybe that's the case for this motherboard?

More than likely I?�m missing something or messing something up. I think my next steps are to maybe flash another OS on the SSD to make sure the device can run off the SATA port. Ideas?
ARAMP1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARAMP1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2024 at 3:27pm
So I added a second SSD via the second SATA port. I installed TrueNAS Scale on it. So I have the Home Assistant OS on one drive and TrueNAS on the other. When I go into the bios, it shows both drives in the boot options. When I choose the drive with HAOS on it as first boot priority, it skips it and goes to the second drive and boots TrueNAS.

Dgme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2024 at 12:24am
Originally posted by ARAMP1 ARAMP1 wrote:

I've made a bootable SSD for Home Assistant OS that I was going to run on an older ASRockRack J1900D2Y motherboard I had laying around. The OS was formatted with the SSD connected in the SATA_1 port using Ubuntu as described on the Home Assistant website.

When the SSD is connected via the SATA port, it's not showing in the BIOS as a bootable drive. When I take it out and put it in a USB enclosure it can boot under UEFI via a USB port and it works as advertised. I've tried both SATA ports with the same results. I've tried other SSDs, other SATA cables, and other power connectors off of the power supply (though since it boots through the USB, I suspect the SSD is good).
In the bios I have SATA Controller ??Enabled and the drive is detected. AHCI is set (vs RAID).

I find it odd that there would be a UEFI boot option for USB but not SATA, but maybe that's the case for this motherboard?

More than likely I?�m missing something or messing something up. I think my next steps are to maybe flash another OS on the SSD to make sure the device can run off the SATA port. Ideas?

Try enabling "CSM (Compatibility Support Module)" in the BIOS to support legacy boot, or ensure the SSD has the correct GPT/MBR partition scheme compatible with UEFI.

Edited by Xaltar - 28 Aug 2024 at 4:39am
ARAMP1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARAMP1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2024 at 11:50pm
There is no Compatibility Support Mode that I can find on the J1900D2Y.

I have an ASRock Q1900B-ITX that does have it though and tried with it enabled with no luck. The same thing happens on that motherboard too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic