ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's the status of ECC support on AM5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote materia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's the status of ECC support on AM5
    Posted: 28 Aug 2024 at 3:52pm
Hi,
I see conflicting answers depending on the bios versions and dates as to ECC memory support. Does anyone know if and to what extent is ECC currently supported?
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2024 at 5:03am
Level1Techs forum is likely the best place to get this info, because Wendell is active in testing these things.

As far as I know, AsRock _originally_ spec'ed their motherboards to support ECC memory, but then backtracked after it was discovered initial AGESA from AMD did not support it.

AMD eventually updated it to support ECC, but AsRock took a long time to revert their motherboard spec pages. Eventually, though, they did revert. So they again state that ECC is supported.

And as far as I understand it, the support is pretty good.

But if you absolutely want to make sure this is true to the greatest extent possible, you can always buy an AsRockRack board, along with an EPYC 4000-series, rather than Ryzen.

Me personally, would buy regular AsRock board, as they actually have better support (BIOS, etc.). I'd have chosen EPYC 4000-series over Ryzen, but they don't have a 7800X3D equivalent, so it's a no go there. Maybe they'll have an EPYC 4005 series that is an equivalent of 9800X3D. All future stuff.
NDRE28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NDRE28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2024 at 2:12am
Hello!

I own a Ryzen 9 9950X CPU and an ASRock X670E Taichi motherboard.

I have bought an ECC UDIMMM memory kit: NEMIX RAM ME44800-328K2-GX (2x32GB DDR5-5600 CL40-40-40 @1.1V).

The ECC feature does work on AM5, as long as you're using a Ryzen 9 CPU.

However, my kit is really weird and I am RMA-ing it.
It only runs at 3600MT/s in single channel mode, with the DIMMs inserted in slots B1+B2.
Any other configuration ends up in "Error C5" (the PC does not boot).
Even trying to use a single module in any of the 4 slots leads to "error C5".

So, please be careful to what brand of RAM you are buying!

I, personally, have to send the memory kit back in the USA, on my own expense (I live in Europe), and the prices are pretty high!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic