ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cheapest AM4 option for ECC and GPU passthrough£
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheapest AM4 option for ECC and GPU passthrough£

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starry_air Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheapest AM4 option for ECC and GPU passthrough£
    Posted: 30 Aug 2024 at 6:33am
What would you recommend, including what memory sticks? Thanks a lot!
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2024 at 12:07am
Can't help you with the GPU passthrough part. Every recent AM4 motherboards I've dealt with has IOMMU option in the BIOS, so I assume it works, to some degree. But again, I've never tried it, so....

As for Unbuffered ECC memory modules, I always start at crucial.com
Shop RAM -> "Server Memory" and pick the right ones.
VLP ECC UDIMM & ECC UDIMM, and DDR4 for AM4

Looks like they stopped selling slower than 3200 DIMMs, which makes sense.
3200 is the JEDEC spec, so there's no reason to buy anything slower.

I used to use a pair on my 2700X, and to my surprise, the BIOS defaulted to 3200, and it seemed to work fine, but the NB voltage was way too high for my liking, so I underclocked it. The same DIMMs are now running with newer Ryzen (3000/4000/5000 series), so I run them at default 3200MT/s.

I'd make a note of their price, and then search online to see if there are better deals. I've bought direct from CDW, Kingston, Newegg, and even Amazon before. But my current go-to is Crucial, because I know exactly what I'll be getting in the box.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic