ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ASRock P67 Extreme4 and Windows 10 (BIOS update)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock P67 Extreme4 and Windows 10 (BIOS update)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guniu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock P67 Extreme4 and Windows 10 (BIOS update)
    Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 12:23pm
I'm on i7 2600K and Asrock P67 Extreme4 (BIOS 2.10) and I just updated my Windows 7 to 10.
And I'm having issue with Task Manager where it shows cpu usage at 100% all the time (but it's not, it just shows wrong). Searched the internet and found that people fixed it with BIOS update. And here is the problem:
On Asrock download page:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P67%20Extreme4/?cat=Download&os=BIOS
There is a windows updater to version 3.10. But above that there is a warning:
"Please update to the latest BIOS with Instant Flash or Internet Flash in the UEFI setup if you are using Windows 10."
So it's telling me that if I'm on Windows 10 (which I am) I should use Instant Flash and not windows version of the updater. But it's not there... So how am I supposed to update my BIOS?

Can I break something if I use that updater under Windows 10? I assume the people that reported it worked for them, must have used it on Windows 10, but I'm still confused. Can I do it, or not recommended?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 12:44pm
Run the Instant Flash BIOS update. NOT the Windows one.

Your manual shows Instant Flash option at the bottom of the Advanced tab of the BIOS
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by guniu guniu wrote:

I'm on i7 2600K and Asrock P67 Extreme4 (BIOS 2.10) and I just updated my Windows 7 to 10.
And I'm having issue with Task Manager where it shows cpu usage at 100% all the time (but it's not, it just shows wrong). Searched the internet and found that people fixed it with BIOS update. And here is the problem:
On Asrock download page:
There is a windows updater to version 3.10. But above that there is a warning:
"Please update to the latest BIOS with Instant Flash or Internet Flash in the UEFI setup if you are using Windows 10."
So it's telling me that if I'm on Windows 10 (which I am) I should use Instant Flash and not windows version of the updater. But it's not there... So how am I supposed to update my BIOS?

Can I break something if I use that updater under Windows 10? I assume the people that reported it worked for them, must have used it on Windows 10, but I'm still confused. Can I do it, or not recommended?

How did you update from Windows 7 to Windows 10? Was that by an Upgrade installation, or a new, fresh installation of Windows 10?

If it was an Upgrade installation, did you update any drivers and software when it was complete? Did the Upgrade installation do that for you? Did you check that it did or not?

About the BIOS update to "fix" your Windows 10 installation. You searched the Internet and found people fixed it with a BIOS update. So you believe that applies to every PC, and everyone that updated their BIOS had the CPU usage problem fixed?

I'm sorry, but the amount of missing detail about this is incredible. I'll give you one example.

You asked about the 3.10 BIOS version, and are worried about it being the Windows BIOS update method, that should not be used with Windows 10. I'm not surprised that Windows 10 is not compatible with the Windows BIOS update method, but that is not my point.

The 3.10 BIOS version is dated 5/23/2012. Over four years old. Released long before Windows 10 existed, or was available for free testing.

How could this BIOS version possibly fix a Windows 10 issue? See what I mean about missing information?

Saying a "BIOS update" fixed something, tells me nothing. What BIOS version, and date? What was changed or added that provides the fix? What is being fixed, even in general terms? What BIOS update method was used?

All BIOS updates reset all the options to their default values. What if it was setting an option to its default value that fixed the problem you have, and not anything actually in the BIOS update?

Or how about the BIOS clear/reset that happens with a BIOS update. What if that is all that is actually needed, a simple BIOS clear after a Windows 10 upgrade installation?

If we don't know at least some of these things, all we are doing is a fingers crossed, hope it works by faith, BIOS update "fix", sorry to say.

That warning about the using with Windows BIOS update method with Windows 10, when that is the only BIOS update method available, is clearly a mistake. The mistake is not about Windows 10, but that you can use Instant Flash or Internet Flash. I don't see an Internet Flash option for your board, but I can only check the manual. Any chance it was added somewhere in the 2.10 BIOS you now have? Your board may be too old for that option, the BIOS chip may be too small.

guniu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guniu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 1:42pm
@wardog: My whole point was that there is no file download on the asrock page for the Instant Flash. Where am I supposed to get that file?

@parsec:
1. It was upgrade.
2. I didn't update any drivers. I think windows installed nvidia graphics driver.
3. Here are some topics on the issue:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1566642/windows-10-cpu-usage-always-at-100-need-help/20
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/why-is-windows-10-final-build-showing-100-cpu/493e1afa-8fce-4779-8962-8e21dfe57df9
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3f31hb/windows_10_task_manager_shows_cpu_usage_at_100_is/?st=ir64x19m&sh=337253a1
Everyone says the BIOS update fixed this specific issue. It's hard to say what it really was.

4. I don't remember seeing an Internet Flash option.

guniu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guniu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 4:54am
So is there any hope for me? Any answer as to why Asrock doesn't provide the Instant Flash version of the bios update but urges you to use it if you are on Windows 10?

I did some searching and found people on this forum:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?265903-Asrock-P67-Extreme4-UEFI-amp-Drivers-thread-Extreme6-amp-Pro3-owners-welcome/page78
are using this site:
http://pctreiber.net/asrock-bios-downloads?dlsearch=ASRock+P67+Extreme4&sortby=title&dlpage=2
for the ROM files. I wonder if you guys are familiar with this site and if I can use their files. People are saying that they are fine with their updates.

Edited by guniu - 02 Aug 2016 at 4:55am
LutaWicasa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LutaWicasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 6:03am
Get another harddrive....clone your drive onto it. remove it and put it aside. Now on the original disk, roll it back to win7 and do the win flash. After you have ascertained all is well, wipe the drive and clone from your clone.
PITA? Sure is...but it'll work.
I7 6700K
Z170 Extreme6
2x8 GSkill Rip Jaw 3200
Samsung 512 950Pro NVME
EVGA 1070 FTW
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 6:18am
Originally posted by guniu guniu wrote:

@wardog: My whole point was that there is no file download on the asrock page for the Instant Flash. Where am I supposed to get that file?

Why from the below link, of course Tongue Wink

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/BIOS/1155/P67%20Extreme4(3.10)ROM.zip

Don't ask. I have my secret ways. LOL

Edited by wardog - 02 Aug 2016 at 6:20am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 6:25am
And for updating your BIOS to 3.10 please DO take note the you MUST update Intel ME and AXTU immediately afterwards!!!

From the BIOS Download page from your MB:
Click here to download required AXTU
Click here to download required Intel ME
* After updating this BIOS, please flash newer versions only.

guniu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guniu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 7:08am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Why from the below link, of course Tongue Wink

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/BIOS/1155/P67%20Extreme4(3.10)ROM.zip

Don't ask. I have my secret ways. LOL

Thanks!

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

And for updating your BIOS to 3.10 please DO take note the you MUST update Intel ME and AXTU immediately afterwards!!!

I assume AXTU is not actually required? It's just a software for tweaking stuff, but if I don't want it I don't need to install it?

About Intel ME, that required version is for win xp/vista/7, do I install that on windows 10, or do I rather download the win10 version from asrock site?

Edited by guniu - 02 Aug 2016 at 7:10am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 7:18am
Yea, you can pass on the AXTU but I'd at least DL it and mark the directory as such.

Intel ME, Windows 10 version, absolutely!

And remember, there's no going below BIOS 3.10 afterwards.

Keep us posted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic