ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z87 Bios update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z87 Bios update
    Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 8:12pm
Hello, 

I am running a Z87 Extreme4 board with i5 4670K. I have an older bios version from 2013, and I've tried to update the bios to the newest version.

I have a problem with the Instant Flash tool. I have the BIOS file in FAT32 USB-stick. When I select the Instant Flash, the menu freezes and becomes unresponsive and I can't proceed. The tool still recognizes the correct (and only) file in the USB drive by name, but I cannot do anything and I have to force restart. 

I have cleared the CMOS. I have tried two different FAT32 USB-sticks in USB2 and USB3 back ports. I have disabled the UEFI audio (F4) and even removed my sound card (this was some known issue). The problem still persists. 

I can't use the Internet flash option due to my internet setup. I can't flash in Windows ("Unable to update the BIOS due to your OS") because I am running Win10 x64. 

I am out of ideas, any help? 

Edited by Xaltar - 30 Oct 2016 at 10:55pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2016 at 10:30pm
Couple of things. DO NOT use Internet Flash, instead use Instant Flash from within the BIOS itself. That's experience talking there.

Be sure you've downloaded the 3.40 Instant Flash BIOS file to use with Instant Flash.

Do a format of the stick(s) to FAT32 prior to unpacking the Z87Ex43.40 file from the downloaded zip file onto the stick.

It must be one of the two rear usb 2.0 ports next to the P/S2 Combo port at the very top of the rear I/O panel.
harja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 12:18am
I have been using the Instant Flash tool in BIOS all along. I've also tried those mentioned USB ports aswell as others. The instant flash 'window' still freezes and I cannot even exit back to the UEFI menu. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 5:19am
Is this a new "build"?

I've only ever seen this when A: The Dual BIOS switch is in the B position, B: No memory/ram is installed, or C: the memory/ram is incompatible.
harja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 6:39pm
I've been using this exact build for over two years now. RAM is definitely working, nothing has changed. Also the BIOS switch is in the A position. 

The current old BIOS version I am using at the moment is working fine, but I'd like to update to the newest version for multiple improvements. So this isn't an acute problem, but problem nevertheless. 

Should I try to flash some older version of the BIOS first (e.g. v. 3.00)? I feel like this wouldn't make any difference, because it's the current old BIOS version which freezes in Instant Flash, which shouldn't have anything to do with the contents of the USB-stick. 
wolfire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 1:34am
OK, I am running a Z77 Extreme6 board with i7 2600K. But I have a similar problem.
https://vid.me/aCYS
after
the menu freezes and becomes unresponsive and I can't proceed.

Edited by wolfire - 04 Nov 2016 at 1:37am
harja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 7:56pm
I have the exactly same problem as you wolfire. 

Edited by harja - 05 Nov 2016 at 7:57pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by wolfire wolfire wrote:

OK, I am running a Z77 Extreme6 board with i7 2600K. But I have a similar problem.
https://vid.me/aCYS
after
the menu freezes and becomes unresponsive and I can't proceed.

I watched your video, at first I thought, I've never seen Instant Flash act like that. Then it made sense.

The file name of the Instant Flash file is strange, Z77EXT62.80E. Where did the E come from? The E should not be there.

Instant Flash did not recognize the name of that file as a valid Instant Flash file, and kept looking until it reached the end of that device, and the \PerfLogs folder.

It seems the Instant Flash file is on a HDD or SSD. That's Ok as long as the device (or at least the partition) is FAT32 formatted.

I downloaded and extracted that Instant Flash file, and this is what I get:

This is not the same situation at all as harja is dealing with.

In your case, a valid UEFI/BIOS update file was not found, so Instant Flash cannot continue. Are you saying you then cannot get out of Instant Flash, by pressing the Esc key?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by harja harja wrote:

Hello, 

I am running a Z87 Extreme4 board with i5 4670K. I have an older bios version from 2013, and I've tried to update the bios to the newest version.

I have a problem with the Instant Flash tool. I have the BIOS file in FAT32 USB-stick. When I select the Instant Flash, the menu freezes and becomes unresponsive and I can't proceed. The tool still recognizes the correct (and only) file in the USB drive by name, but I cannot do anything and I have to force restart. 

I have cleared the CMOS. I have tried two different FAT32 USB-sticks in USB2 and USB3 back ports. I have disabled the UEFI audio (F4) and even removed my sound card (this was some known issue). The problem still persists. 

I can't use the Internet flash option due to my internet setup. I can't flash in Windows ("Unable to update the BIOS due to your OS") because I am running Win10 x64. 

I am out of ideas, any help? 

I'm not certain what is happening in your situation. Does the file name shown in Instant Flash seem correct? If it's the only file on the flash drive, Instant Flash would stop at that point.

You said the UEFI seems to freeze at that point? You can't press the Esc key to get out of that screen?

You said you cleared the UEFI/CMOS, so I assume you don't have any over clock applied. I've seen large capacity USB flash drives cause problems when used as a Windows installation media. 16GB seems to be a limit in my experience.

I see an update to Instant Flash itself in the 3.00 UEFI version, that may be required to apply UEFI versions beyond 3.00. I have no specific information that is the case, but the implication that will be necessary is there IMO, and is well worth trying.

I don't have your specific board, but I do have a Z87 Extreme6. I always apply every UEFI version available for my ASRock boards, as a moderator I just feel I should. But I always apply them in sequence, not skipping any versions, as it just turns out that way for me.

Please try updating to 3.00 first, and then you can go directly to 3.40. Let us know what happens.
wolfire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2016 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

The file name of the Instant Flash file is strange, Z77EXT62.80E. Where did the E come from? The E should not be there.

Here http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme6/?cat=Beta its beta bios with supports NVMe Configuration.
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Are you saying you then cannot get out of Instant Flash, by pressing the Esc key?

Yes, a BIOS freeze.
i tried the partition hdd fat32, but instant flash not see it, only usb flash.

Edited by wolfire - 06 Nov 2016 at 2:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic