ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Killer SLI/ac won't POST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vandervecken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Killer SLI/ac won't POST
    Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 5:17am
I'm a generally experiened PC builder but this is my first time with Ryzen. Components are:

Board: x370 Killer SLI/ac
Chip: Ryzen 7 1700
RAM: GSkill FlareX F4-3200C14D016GFX
RAM v2: Patriot Viper Elite PVE44G240C6GY (2400MHz)
PSU: Corsair HX750 (old part known good)
GPU: NVidia Strix 1080 (old part known good)

What happens:
When I turn on the system the mainboard LED pulses red, and no video output.

Things I have tried:
*Swapping between the two RAM sets (on the theory that I need a BIOS update to use the 3200 RAM)
*Going to a single DIMM in the A2 slot of the GSkill RAM
*Resetting CMOS
*Moving the GPU between the first and second PCI slots
*Switching to an ENTIRELY NEW x370 Killer SLI/ac board (I purchased two boards and two CPUs because I plan to do an identical build for my wife's PC, so I have a second board onhand)
*Inspected the CPU for bent pins when I moved it to the new board
* Installing a PC Speaker by connecting it to the PC Speaker pins (no beeps resulted)

Help please!

Thanks,
Michael
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 5:39am
Clear CMOS on both mobos. Then start with 1 of them.

On first mobo, out of the case: hook up only CPU, cooler, 1 stick of RAM, GPU. Clear CMOS again. Double check PSU cables, esp. EPS12V & PCIe ones (for the GPU). Check jumpers and do a visual inspection. Mobo 1 should POST now.

If mobo 1 won't POST - swap CPU and RAM; clear CMOS again. Mobo 1 should POST now.

Repeat the above steps for mobo 2. Maybe it will be good if you keep a track of all this in a table.

If mobo 1 & 2 still won't post with known good PSU & GPU, maybe the PSU or GPU are not that good after all?

P.S. try using HDMI cable for your monitor.
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
Vandervecken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vandervecken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 2:30am
We made it work. Couple of things it could have been:
1) a hard drive needed to be plugged in?
2) First POST takes a long time and I was never patient enough. I may have accidentally left it on long enough one final time and I came back to the room and it had posted.

Thanks!
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 2:36am
Originally posted by Vandervecken Vandervecken wrote:

We made it work. Couple of things it could have been:
1) a hard drive needed to be plugged in?
2) First POST takes a long time and I was never patient enough. I may have accidentally left it on long enough one final time and I came back to the room and it had posted.

Thanks!

Great news actually!

POST requires no HDD. Booting does require a HDD.

Some people say their first boot took approx. 10 minutes!!! Go figure...
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vandervecken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 7:55am
Ok, I have a new problem. I am starting on the second Ryzen build and again I'm running into a lack of POSTing. The specs are the same but recall from above that when I tried to get the first system to POST, I ended up swapping out the motherboard and using the second x370 Killer SLI/ac motherboard I purchased.

Now I'm trying to get the second system to POST, using the first motherboard (which never POSTed successfully, although the second one did).

So the current status is:
Known good RAM (I used it to POST the previous Ryzen build).
Known good power supply
Known good GFX card (ASUS NVidia GTX1060)
Known good monitor on HDMI

The only two unknown pieces are the Motherboard and the chip.
I checked the chip for bent pins.
I have the 24-pin and 6-pin connectors securely feeding power to the motherboard.
I have a 6-pin connector securely feeding power to the GFX card.
I have cleared the CMOS after inserting all the pieces.
I have the RAM in the right place.

I have waited upwards of 30 minutes at a time for POST with no luck.

I think the only thing left to do is RMA the motherboard, yes?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 2:19am
the 24 pin and the 6 pin ?????????

it should be a 24 pin and a 4+4 pin lebelled cpu/eps

a 6 pin is a pcie graphics card lead
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vandervecken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 2:59am
Sorry, yes. Mistype. The right lead is going to the CPU. I know the difference between the two.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 3:13am
Originally posted by Vandervecken Vandervecken wrote:

Sorry, yes. Mistype. The right lead is going to the CPU. I know the difference between the two.

ok ,i was just checking ,you wont be the first or last to get the leads mixed up

i myself have to at least double check these (some psu's make it much harder than others)

do you have spare thermal paste to try cpu swaps ?

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vandervecken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 12:45am
I RMA-ed the board and got a replacement.
The replacement POSTed immediately.

So that's good. Now I have another problem.

The RAM I have for both builds is G-Skill FlareX F4-3200C14D-16GFX.
I have the BIOS on the second machine as v3.50 (the first machine has 3.40).
On the second machine, setting the RAM to its XMP profile (CL 14-14-14-34, 1.35v, as listed on the package) results in serious instability and constant BSODs. Setting the RAM to the 'default' of 2400 appears to be stable.

I have tried swapping the RAM between systems, and as far as I can tell, it's not the RAM. The same problem happens to the second system when I put the (identical) RAM from the first system in the second system.

Not sure why this is. The BIOS v3.50 should definitely be able to handle the 3200 speed RAM. The first system has been steady at 3200 speed, and it has BIOS v3.40.

I don't think it's a driver issue, since the BSODs are pretty random types, all over the place.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 2:27am
the sub timings selected by the board and the basic xmp programmed timings are NOT as perfect as we are led to think

may i suggest using a tool a lot of us use to calculate a guide for manual inputting the timings and settings in the bios
http://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1640919-ryzen-dram-calculator-overclocking-dram.html#post_26417503

or plan b simply flash to the earlier bios ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic