ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock A320M-HDV compatibility with RX 560

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hermansema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock A320M-HDV compatibility with RX 560
    Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 9:31pm
Hello Internet,

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to talk about my problem, so I'm sorry in advance.

I have a question: Is the motherboard ASRock A320M-HDV compatible with Sapphire Pulse RX 560 4gb?

A few months ago I built a pc with:
- Asrock A320M-HDV
- Ryzen 3 2200G
- Klevv ddr4 Bolt 3000mhz (2x4gb)
- Cooler Master MWE 450

All of the parts are brand new and it runs fine; however, when I added a Sapphire Pulse RX 560 4gb, the pc won't post. It turns on, the fans (including the RX 560's) are spinning, but there is no splash screen, no boot beep, and no signal. I'm confident to say that all of the cables are plugged in properly.

So far, I have tried:
- resetting the CMOS by removing the battery and setting the jumper
- installing a Gigabyte RX 550 2gb (without 6 pin connector) and it worked fine in my pc
- installing "stronger" PSUs: a Be Quiet! System Power U9 600w and a 550w Corsair (not sure about the name) and still no post, no beep, no bios
- sending the RX 560 to the official distributor of the brand and they mentioned that it works just fine, so they updated the vbios (it has been returned to me and it still doesn't work)

The shop owner who helped me troubleshoot my pc suggest me to use other RX 560 brands but I don't want to buy more stuff (especially expensive ones) unless there is guarantee that the other brands will work. Also, I saw some discussions which mention that the motherboard's bios version may cause this kind of problem. Currently, my motherboard's bios version is P5.50 which I believe is the latest one.

So I'm curious, is it possible that my motherboard's bios is incompatible with the RX 560? Should I try using the previous version of the bios (if it is possible)? Or perhaps, the problem is caused by other factors?

Anybody out there have similar problem and perhaps a solution? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I live in Indonesia btw.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 9:58pm
My guess is that your PC boots fine, but it's using the built-in GPU (in the CPU), instead of the 560.

Try switching the monitor cable to the mobo monitor ports. I think you should see the boot screen now.

A BIOS update and a CMOS reset are always advisable, esp. with ASRock.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 10:01pm
Oh! Your mobo is rather old and may not support 2200G with its factory BIOS!!!

If that is the case, you'd need some old CPU just to flash the latest BIOS, and then you should be able to run the 2200G.
hermansema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hermansema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 1:26pm
Thank you for the reply xhue, my A320M-HDV has the "Ryzen 2000 ready" sticker and it requires no bios update. I have tried plugging the monitor cable to the motherboard with the RX 560 installed but the pc still showed no signal. I have also tried removing the cmos battery and leaving it for about 5-10 minutes several times and still, no luck. I believe that the bios did reset because I had to enable the boot beep again (I think the default setting for the boot beep is disabled.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 9:40pm
Hmm, I see.

2 things then - try updating to BIOS 5.50 from https://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/index.php Clear CMOS once more, then try putting the 560 and booting up.

Next thing - with the on-board video check BIOS for CSM settings and some legacy GFX/OpROM stuff. Try flipping these, save then put the 560 back in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hermansema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 9:54pm
I have visited the website and the bios for my motherboard doesn't seem to exist; besides, I believe the current bios version of my motherboard is 5.50. I updated it with ASRock App Shop utility.

I have also tried turning off the integrated graphics controller in AMD PBS (I'm sorry I don't remember the name) and inserting the RX 560 but there was neither beep nor signal to monitor.

However, when I tried changing the primary graphics adapter (in AMD CBS, I guess) to integrated instead of external then inserting the RX 560 (including the 6 pin power), the pc runs just fine. The monitor is connected to the motherboard because if I connected it to the GPU, there is no signal.

Also, when I check device manager and GPU-Z, the RX 560 actually appeared there. I'm new in this forum, I hope you can see the screenshots.

In the device manager, there is a triangle on the RX 560. In the property, it says "error code 43." I'm not a computer expert, does this mean anything? Or is the "error code 43" simply exist because I choose the integrated graphics in the bios?
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 1:03am
The link I provided is for a German site, although you shoud easily find the BIOS section under Downloads. It won't hurt to check your current BIOS version, being it from HWINFO or another Win app. Update if necessary and clear CMOS afterwards.

Please don't use apps to flash BIOS, it is prone to disaster.

Getting to error code 43 is something. I think all you need now is a funky fresh driver. Get one from AMD. Get DDU or similar. Boot Windows in safe mode, then run DDU. Reboot and install the latest AMD driver. It should be OK now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hermansema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:11pm
Sorry for the long update, the problem has been solved.

It turned out that the problem was caused by the RAM's (or perhaps, the slot's) dirty contacts. I have just brought my pc to another computer shop and the people there wiped the RAM's contacts and cleaned the slots and now it is working fine. Weeks of headache solved by a single sheet of tissue, I am completely baffled. I thought I have tried that before and it didn't work, maybe I made a mistake.

Thank you very much for the help though, xhue, I really appreciate it.
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 7:27pm
What I'm completely baffled with, is how come a new mobo has dirty slots?

Also, if the slots were really dirty before, then how come the 550 has been working fine?

Questions, so many questions! Thanks for the update, nonetheless!

Have fun with your new build!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hermansema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 2:38pm
Unexpected Update

I mentioned that my pc ran fine but It turned out that the RX 560 was defective. When I played video games, the PC froze and artifacts appeared. It could enter BIOS and windows but when it was used to play games, the PC froze and artifacts appeared. I have returned it to the seller and got a new one and now my PC is working perfectly well (I have run Heaven benchmark test and played video games). So I guess the lesson here is that before we determine that a GPU is in good condition, it should be used to run benchmark test or play video games.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic