ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty B450 itx/ac boot loops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reguazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty B450 itx/ac boot loops
    Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 6:36am
I am having a completely new AMD build, but it is stuck in boot loop.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX5700
RAM: G-Skill SniperX DDR4 3600MHz 8GB X 2 (but running at 2133MHz)
Motherboard: ASrock Fatal1ty Gaming B450 itx/ac
Power Supply: Integra SFX 450W (comes with the FD Node202 Case, sounds edgy but I believe it is enough)
Storage:
WD SN550 512G NVME SSD
Inland 128G SSD SATA grabbed from Microcenter for windows.

I have some detailed observations:
1.     Mostly it cannot pass the POST and keep booting again and again. No USB power, no video output.
2.     Sometimes (1/10) it can reach the POST (having usb power and video output) but after one or two seconds the video and usb power are suddenly gone.
(*For these two occasions, if I plug in the usb keyboard again, the LED on the keyboard will flash once. So, I guess it is not completely losing the power?)
3.     In some rare cases (around 1/50) there can be a successful boot. However for this occasion, the fan speeds up and down again and again like 3 ??5 times. (I guess it is the memory training?) After the successful boot everything is good. But if you shut down or restart the computer, it will go back to the boot loop above again.
4.     Some of my bios setting won?™t save. The motherboard is always resetting my memory frequency at 2133MHz and 1.2v with 20202035 while my memory is 3600MHz and 1.35v with 19202040. Apart from these OC settings, others like time waiting on the POST screen, full screen logo cannot be saved too, Even if I manually set these parameters it will be reset at next boot. However, the time, date, boot sequence / priority can be saved well.
5.     This is a new build but I once used a 2200G to update the BIOS to make the mb compactible with 3000 series CPUs. All things including the memory sticks worked nicely with the Ryzen 2200G which I used previously for updating the bios.

CPU Fans and GPU Fans are both working but they have different behaviors for the three occasions above:
1.     When it cannot pass the POST, the CPU and GPU fans remain in a very slow speed.
2.     When it can reach the POST, the fans are sped up normally like if they were normally spinning.
3.     For the very rare cases with a successful boot, the fans act normally.

I have tried breadboarding (without the case to prevent occasions like short circuits by the case) with:
1. PSU, Motherboard and CPU/Fan only (Surprisingly the boot still loops even with PSU, MB and CPU only??So I believe this can be a motherboard issue?)
2. PSU, Motherboard and CPU/Fan with 1 stick of RAM with different slots
3. PSU, Motherboard and CPU/Fan with 1 stick of RAM with different slots also with Video Card on card/board hdmi output.
4. Use 4-pin / 8-pin power for cpu

I have made sure connections are all good. Tried in both 3.4 BIOS and the newest 3.5 BIOS from the ASRock website.

Apart from the boot loop there are a lot of additional issues:
1.     With the AMD All-in-one VGA driver provided by ASRock, the 5700 cannot be recognized. (In the device manager it is an ?œMicrosoft Basic Display Adaptor?? (19.10.16)
2.     When I am trying to install the newest 5700 driver from AMD (19.8.1, I am not sure why 19.8.1 is newer than 19.10.16 but this is what the Radeon Software Center tells me), the PC suddenly BSOD with VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE. After that the Windows will immediately BSOD after start-up with various types of codes: WHEA_Uncorrectable_Error, VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE, VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR??
But with my boot loop issue, I can rarely get into windows so I cannot even have a chance to deal with this issue.). I have tried hundreds of times and only once I successfully entered the Windows Safe Mode but when I am trying to uninstall the driver it says the drivers are partially installed and cannot be uninstalled.

I have ran out of my ideas and am demoralized as I have spent the entire weekend on this. I think the issue might be PSU or the board. My last resort is to replace the board and find some X570, but the board worked fine with the previous 2200G so I would still give a last try here to see if people here can have other ideas??

Many thanks!
Reguazi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reguazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 7:00am
Originally posted by Reguazi Reguazi wrote:

CPU Fans and GPU Fans are both working but they have different behaviors for the three occasions above:
1.     When it cannot pass the POST, the CPU and GPU fans remain in a very slow speed.
2.     When it can reach the POST, the fans are sped up normally like if they were normally spinning.
3.     For the very rare cases with a successful boot, the fans act normally.

More detailed fan behavior:
1. cannot reach the POST: stop -> very slow - > stop (boot loop)
2. can reach the POST: stop -> very slow -> speed up to normal speed -> speed down to a very slow speed-> normal speed ... the boot does not loop but the speed changes for some times like these and finally reach the POST. Sometimes it cannot reach the POST and the fan speed remains speed but no video / usb power
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 7:42pm
Dear Reguazi,

Thank you for posting your query to ASRock forum.

For 5700 graphics card not being recognized, please download the graphics driver from graphics card product page.

If it still will not work, kindly try the suggestions below:
1. Please leave only one RAM, CPU, graphics card, HDD/SSD with the operating system and CPU fan.

2. Now try to switch the parts around from #1 to see if there are any difference. (Make sure that BIOS default are loaded)

3. The last thing you could do is to clean install the operating system to get rid of the possibility that it may be caused by the software.

After clean install the operating system, please try to install the graphics driver first.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 03 Sep 2019 at 7:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic