ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H170M Pro4 resume from sleep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H170M Pro4 resume from sleep
    Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 4:09am
Hi
In order to resume from sleep, I have to press power then reset. Pressing the power button, powers up the machine, but it does not fully resume (no display and machine does not respond to ping). Then pressing reset, resume completes (no hard reset occurs), network interfaces comes up and I'm back at the desktop.
Enabling wake from keyboard or mouse in bios gives same result as hitting the power button to wake: system does not completely resume until I press reset.
I have also tried enabling all ASPM options in UEFI. Though this makes no discernible difference. Behaviour is same in both installed OS.

Any advice appreciated.

ASRock H170M Pro4
BIOS 1.80

i5-6600
Corsair LPX 2400 2x 8G @2133
Corsair HX520 PSU
Samsung 840 pro 128gb (Windows 7)
Samsung sm951 ahci 256gb (Ubuntu 16.04)

Edited by keeka - 22 Dec 2015 at 4:22am
treno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 11:26pm
Hi keeka,
I have your exact problem, board and BIOS version!
The system exits from sleep only pressing reset button, as you described.
I also noticed that when the system exits from sleep the open windows are very small, as if the resolution was changed to a very small one and then back to normal (I use 3840x2160).

My system:
ASROCK H170M PRO4
BIOS 1.80

I7-6700
Kingston hyperx Fury 2x8GB DDR4 2400 @2133
Corsair RM650i PSU
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Windows 10 completely updated.
All drivers updated
Monitor: Dell P2715Q Rev A03 @3840x2160

I hope Asrock may help here!

treno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote treno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 4:56am
To whom might be interested, my PC seems to wake up correctly from sleep now.
I've found another thread in this forum (a couple of months old) with similar problems.
In the thread someone suggested to downgrade the firmware (in that case from 1.50 to i.30).

I tried to downgrade from 1.80 to 1.50 (from Windows) without any other change (not even entered in BIOS settings) and wake from sleep was working correctly.

Than I decided to flash back BIOS version 1.80 (from Windows), again without any other change. And wake from sleep works correctly even on 1.80!

So to me the problem seems some kind of bad configuration that was reset downgrading the BIOS.
I don't know if it may be relevant but when I bought the board last week it had (I think) BIOS version 1.00 and I upgraded directly to 1.80 from the BIOS itself, without even installing Windows.

I've not done extensive testing but, since before it was failing all the time, I'm positive that I solved the issue.

Stefano

keeka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 5:30am
Hi Stefano
Thanks for the follow up. Tried your suggestion, and I can confirm downgrading to 1.5 fixed resume for me also. Though I have not flashed to 1.8 again, yet!
I can also confirm my board (rev1.01) arrived with BIOS 1.0 and that I flashed directly to 1.8, in UEFI, before installing any disks. Have to say BIOS/UEFI behaviour of this board feels a little fragile. Some changes I have made result in it failing to boot. Disabling CSM resulted in 5 quick beeps and required a CMOS reset to get back in to the UEFI.

I can confirm I also see window resize in windows 7 post resume. Looks like they are sized to VGA dimensions. I also saw this behaviour with the built in intel graphics on a z77x/i5-3570k build. I don't see this issue in Ubuntu, nor do SSH sessions disconnect, like they do with putty sessions under windows.

Edited by keeka - 23 Dec 2015 at 5:38am
keeka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 11:58pm
I've also now upgraded from BIOS 1.5 to 1.8 and sleep/resume continues to work.  FWIW I cleared the CMOS both before and after upgrading the BIOS.

Thanks.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 12:53am
Thanks for the update guys, I will keep this thread in mind for anyone else with this issue Thumbs Up
treno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote treno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 12:59am
I have since changed my motherboard with another brand.
What made me decide is an electrical noise (hiss) that wait coming from the board that was disturbing to me. I think the power supply circuitry is not good.
With the new board I have no such problem. It cost me nearly twice as much, though.
Now I have an Asrock board for sale :)
russellmcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russellmcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 4:15am
I am also experiencing a "Monitor Sleep" issue.
When I power down and the PC comes back up, I see a message on the screen "No SIgnal" and then "Monitor Going To Sleep".
The PC seems to go through the motions of powering up, but I can wait an indeterminate number of hours for the Monitor to wake up.
When it does, everything operates normally.

I read this thread and after looking into my own BIOS, I see my version is 1.2A.
The ASRock updates suggests updating to 2.50.

I would like some opinion on continuing with this update, before I click on the update.
I don't want to so something I cannot undo.

Please advise...
Regards,
Russell Cox
keeka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keeka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 6:42pm
Though incrementally upgrading the BIOS fixed waking from sleep, I do see something similar to russellmcox:

If I boot from cold, the monitor only seems to detect a signal once an installed OS has booted.  e.g. with windows 7, the display only activates once windows has made it to the login prompt.  I do not see UEFI screen or windows splash screen.  Virtually identical behaviour if booting Ubuntu 16.04.
I never see the UEFI menu screen nor do I see the UEFI boot menu (F11), though I believe it's activated as I can boot a non default OS using arrow keys and enter.
If I reboot the machine, the monitor receives a signal immediately.
This means I can only view the UEFI after a warm restart!
I am using displayport, connected to a Dell U2713HM.

Something else I have noticed is a spurious entry in the UEFI boot menu that can only be removed by a CMOS reset.
Amongst the legitimate BIOS and UEFI boot choices, is a line containing only an apostrophe '.  Selecting this does nothing other than return you to the boot menu.

Beginning to regret my choice of motherboard and adopting skylake too early!

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 6:51pm
keeka, does it behave this way if you connect the monitor instead via HDMI?

I've noticed oddities using DisplayPort too but not these and not on the x170 boards but my Z77 and FM2+ boards.

Edited by wardog - 16 Jan 2016 at 6:51pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic