ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Win10 on EP2C602-4L/D16

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dane Bramage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Win10 on EP2C602-4L/D16
    Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 1:32pm
Greetings,

Polling ASRock support  and forum members to inquire if it is possible to run Windows 10 on the EP2C602-4L/D16 MoBo.

I am attempting to do so (Windows 10 pro 64), and receiving massive and frequent crashes ( driver_irql_not_less_or_equal, etc.,).  Thinking I've surpassed the point of diminishing returns and looking to downgrade (Windows 8.1 or 7 Pro), but thought I'd check here to see if there's any hope.

Build:
  • EP2C602-4L/D16 (Latest BIOS)
  • 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2670 2.6 Ghz. 8-Core SR0KX
  • 16 x Samsung 8Gb. 2Rx4 PC3-12800R M393B1K70DHO-CKO: (128Gb)
  • IN WIN 707 BLACK SECC E-ATX full tower Computer Case
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready ATX Video Card
  • CORSAIR AX series AX760 760W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM PSU
  • 1 x  SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E500B/AM
  • 2 x Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
  • LG Black Blu-ray Burner SATA WH16NS40
  • 2 x CORSAIR Hydro Series H50 120mm Quiet Edition Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Sound Blaster Z PCIe Gaming Sound Card
  • Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 5-Port PCI Express Card

Also can't get NVidia drivers installed (nor some Windows Updates), but if the crashes continue at such frequency that may be moot point.

Edited by Dane Bramage - 18 Oct 2016 at 1:35pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 11:35pm
It seems you know that Windows 10 is not a supported OS for your system, right?

What are you using for drivers, just the inbox Windows 10 drivers?

The only non-server version of Windows shown as supported by your board is Windows 7. Sorry, but the forum's link creation tool is not working correctly lately, the URL below is correct. Check the Download link for supported OS versions.

http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp%3FModel=EP2C602-4L/D16#Specifications

If Windows 10 updates are failing to install, and the Nvidia driver won't install, that is a bad sign about using Windows 10.
Dane Bramage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dane Bramage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 1:53am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

It seems you know that Windows 10 is not a supported OS for your system, right?

What are you using for drivers, just the inbox Windows 10 drivers?

If Windows 10 updates are failing to install, and the Nvidia driver won't install, that is a bad sign about using Windows 10.

I do know that Win10 is not currently supported & the only non-server supported Win OS is 7, yes.  I was still hoping to possibly have it working and that ASRock would be actively working towards same.  With the stunningly low price of these E5-2670 CPUs (I paid $65/ea for mine) on the used market, limited dual-socket LGA2011 motherboards there is obviously a huge demand for these.  I am sure ASRock's sales numbers would confirm this.  Here's just one video ~> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b-01q09bLU (running Windows 10 btw).

So is ASRock's official position that they will not move to advance support of any additional OS versions on the EP2C602-4L/D16?

ETA: Oh, I attempted to install drivers via install CD, download from NVidia & windows update w/no luck on any as yet.  Feedback is Win 8.1 (though also not officially supported) is stable, so I'll likely downgrade instead of enduring much more misery... just need to get a downgrade product key from MS (hopefully that isn't also a challenge!   lol!)

Edited by Dane Bramage - 19 Oct 2016 at 1:59am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dane Bramage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 9:52am
Update: can't believe I've got it working, all drivers and updates installed and, apparently, stable on Windows 10!  I've been in tech for 20 years.  Seems nothing ever changes.  DIY is the only way.

Benchmarks are not too shabby (unsure why Cinebench reports OS as Win8.1)

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 11:19am
The question becomes, how did you do it?

Simply by letting Windows 10 update install virtually everything? Not doubting you, just asking.

You did not have success at first. How could you without the basic chipset INF files to identify the hardware?

Regarding ASRock not actively including a non-server type OS with a server hardware platform, why is that to be expected? Or why would I expect Windows Server 2012 to be supported on a Z170 chipset board designed for over clocking and PC gaming?

Mother board manufactures don't create drivers and software for a hardware platform, that is done by the manufacture of the hardware. If the hardware was not different between a server system and a home PC, why does specific hardware for each type of usage exist? Why does Intel separate their processors into four categories, including Desktop and Server? They have different features and are meant for usage in different environments. Intel does the same for their chipsets, mother boards, SSDs, and networking products.

Your board has features I cannot even use, or have no use for, in a Desktop PC. It's SATA IO capabilities are not as good or applicable to a Desktop board, plus it does not have M.2 support, or NMVe support. It uses the RSTe SATA driver, which may be great in a server environment, but was hated in the Desktop world when it was initially used with Desktop X79 systems. Later on, the Desktop IRST SATA driver support was added to X79. Intel did not use RSTe again with X99.

I'm sure a Desktop board would be almost worthless as a professional server. That does not mean it is a bad product, it's just not designed for that environment. You had to purchase a server type board with dual sockets, to be able to use the cheap used Xeon (server) processors you have. I am aware of those myself, but their price is not enough to cause me to give up the features that don't exist on server mother boards.

I guess ASRock needs a new mother board category, Desktop boards that are meant to be used with used server processors, and are compatible with home PC OS versions.

Edited by parsec - 19 Oct 2016 at 11:20am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dane Bramage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 1:52pm
I appreciate all your gracious help, parsec.

First step was resolving all the crashes.  I have virtualization disabled, if that is what you meant by "...
letting Windows 10 update install virtually everything?".

NVidia drivers went in without incident after.  Next was clearing the Windows 10
update error 0x80242fff, but I'll not bore further with details as my system build requirements/applications (not gaming) are unique and clearly not of interest.

Now if I can only figure out why the case rear fan always stays on! Wink

Edited by Dane Bramage - 19 Oct 2016 at 2:30pm
jerryeight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerryeight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 5:32pm
Hi Dane,

Is your system with Windows 10 still stable with the latest updates? Right now I am trying to put together a parts list for a dual E5-2670 v2 build for workstation and gaming. But, there are many reports that the asrock v2 boards crash and have issue running win 10.

So, is your system still stable?

Thanks!
Sean1983 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Dane Bramage Dane Bramage wrote:

Update: can't believe I've got it working, all drivers and updates installed and, apparently, stable on Windows 10!  I've been in tech for 20 years.  Seems nothing ever changes.  DIY is the only way.

Benchmarks are not too shabby (unsure why Cinebench reports OS as Win8.1)

Sean1983 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 1:54pm
I've had Win 10 on the system since I first got it. No Problems and running Quad Striped SSD's on the 4 SCU ports. 64 GB ECC Ram Dual Xeons and a GTX Titan. Works Great. Just wish it had native USB3 Support 
Sean1983 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 1:27am
I have the same build as you with Quad Stripped SSD's on the SCU Ports and Dual Xeon's and a GTX Titan.  Works Great but I get random Freezes and an occational BSOD.  Did you do anyting special? Any BIOS Settings I should check, Updates, Chipset Driver ?  I'm very frustrated.  If you can share any insight with me that would be great.  Thanks in Advance.
Regards,
Sean

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic