ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suddenly not booting with all cores enabled

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildfireheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suddenly not booting with all cores enabled
    Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 6:52pm
My setup was working flawlessly for a week and one day few minutes after boot Windows suddenly froze for no obvious reason and after hard reset no system boots with more then 3 cores enabled, and even with 3 sometimes doesn't boot. CPU temperatures are never higher than 30-40°C. I checked everything inside case, everything seems correctly installed. Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool passes with no errors (also with 3 cores enabled). I tried memory in different slot, didn't help. Nothing is and never was overclocked (as far as I know, I use default UEFI settings), voltages are on standard levels. I have latest UEFI.

I'm using following components:
Intel i5-6600K
ASRock Z170 EXTREME4
HyperX DDR4 8GB 2133MHz Cl14 Fury Black [HX421C14FB/8] (single stick)
Zalman ZM600-GSII 600W
CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 EVO

I use integrated HD 530 GPU.

If it is of any help, I have dualboot with Windows 10 and Opensuse Tumbleweed. POST is fine, GRUB works fine, with all cores enabled Windows hangs at blue logo (with no circling dots) and GNU/Linux after which looks like NMI watchdog initialisation, the last line trace looks like "[0.559] #0 #1 #2[", which I imagine could probably indicate, that something is wrong with core #4, or when system tries to initialise / use last core.

I did IPDT for UEFI, since I cannot boot into any system with all 4 cores enabled. The only thing out of order seems to be this, it's same with 3 and 4 cores enabled:

--- Reading CPU Frequency ---  
Expected CPU Frequency is -->  3.50GHz  
Detecting CPU Frequency ...  
Detected CPU Frequency --> 4.6665   

CPU Frequency Test Passed with Warning!!!  
The processor frequency could be affected by power management features. In  
order to ensure the processor frequency is not affected by a power management  
setting, enter BIOS, load defaults, and disable any 'Over-Clocking' or power  
management features that may affect processor frequency. Also, set any  
software applications which control power management features to default.  

When I run test on Windows with 3 cores enabled, detected CPU frequency is 3.4996 GHz and clock frequency is 99.9912 MHz.

Edited by wildfireheart - 09 Jan 2017 at 6:59pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 7:37pm
233x20 will get 4.665Ghz

What was the normal OC she ran on?
wildfireheart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildfireheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 7:51pm
I have everything set to "Auto", I never intentionally overclocked anything so far. When I run tests in Windows (with 3 cores), the frequency is 3.5 GHz as expected. When I run same test with 3 or 4 cores in UEFI version of IPDT, I get 4.665 GHz, so I think this could be just wrong reading.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 11:10pm
On the intro page of entering the BIOS, at the top, what BIOS rev is the board flashed to? 3.40?

How ling ago was it the system was built? 1 week?

What slot do you have the lone stick of memory residing in?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildfireheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 11:20pm
If you mean UEFI version, then it's P7.00, I did automatic network update when problem started, didn't help.

Yes, setup was working fine for about a week, no high temperatures, everything normal and stable. After that, two days ago, I started the computer after it was turned off for a night, booted into Win 10, started "Adware Removal Tool by TSA", it run up to 10%, then froze, I did hard reset and it won't boot with all cores since. I checked the system with 3 cores after that - no adware or viruses found.

When it broken down, RAM was in B1 (I was too lazy to reattach fan to the other side of the cooler), currently it's in A2, but I tried all other slots. XMP profile didn't help either. Memtest found no errors, so I assume memory is fine.

Edited by wildfireheart - 09 Jan 2017 at 11:23pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 11:30pm
Hmmmm....

One more please. Run the Command resmon, get over to theCPU tab, how many cores are graphed/shown at the right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wildfireheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 12:31am
3, because I have 3 enabled in UEFI (I have graphs for CPU - Total, Service CPU Usage, CPU 0, CPU 1 and CPU 2).
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 3:10am
Hmmmm

In the main page of the BIOS what does it say the processors Ghz is? Too look in the CPU Config page and note the numbers there too.

Odd.

Has over tightening the TX3 crossed your mind? Sorry, for I have no way of knowing your knowledge and experience here over the net in as many printed words is present.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 3:12am
DO NOT TOUCH, yet run the backs of your fingers over the VRM section. Hot by chance? Scalding hot?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 3:33am
I would pull the CPU and check for warping and bent or burned pins. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic