ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

USB 3.1 not working on Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogerino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB 3.1 not working on Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6
    Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 11:25pm
A spent hours on this, I give up.
There's no way to make usb 3.1 work on my new MB, al least on latest and patched Windows 10 x64.

With the first release of the bios, all the devices (usb 2.0, 3.0, 3.1) connected to asmedia ports didn't work at all.
After upgrading to latest beta bios 1.22 (if I recall correctly), SOME usb 2.0 and 3.0 work some doesn't, but no 3.1.
Device aren't recognized, they keep disconnecting.
I tried a fresh windows 10 x64 too, nothing changed. I alsto tried all bios options.
Funny thing, using a live UBUNTU, even with the firt MB bios release, all usb devices WORKED FINE (haven't really tested usb 3.1 speeds, but the usb 3.1 ssd adaptor worked fine).

As usb 3.1 was a selling point for me, and I really need it, is there a way to make it work (and make the whole asmedia usb ports work)?

Thank you.

Edited by Rogerino - 27 Jan 2017 at 11:54pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 12:15am
You don't say, so ........ Have you maybe tried installing the USB 3.1 drivers available on the MBs download page?

Page is for Win10 x64. If different, choose from the pull down menu:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z270%20Gaming%20K6/index.us.asp#osW1064
Rogerino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogerino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 12:31am
Thanks for your reply.
It was the first thing I did, on the clean Windows installation too.
What's suspicious is, under linux (latest ubuntu) everything works (at some point, I thought of it was an hardware fault).

EDIT: usb 3.1 adapter I'm using has a ASM1351 chipset
http://www.asmedia.com.tw/eng/e_show_products.php?cate_index=97&item=156

Just to be clear
FIRST/STOCK bios
Intel USB ports -> all fine (usb sticks, hdds, ssd, etc)
Asmedia USB 3.1 port -> nothing was recognized under Win 10x (latest drivers) / all was recognized under live Ubuntu 16x (boot from an usb stick plugged in an Intel USB port). USB 3.1 adapter works fine

LATEST BETA BIOS
Intel USB ports -> all fine
Asmedia USB 3.1 port -> usb 2/3 devices work fine under Win 10x (latest drivers). USB 3.1 adapter (tried various ssd and mechanical 2.5" hdd) is not recognized at all.

Edited by Rogerino - 28 Jan 2017 at 12:43am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 1:34am
Originally posted by Rogerino Rogerino wrote:

EDIT: usb 3.1 adapter I'm using has a ASM1351 chipset
http://www.asmedia.com.tw/eng/e_show_products.php?cate_index=97&item=156

Ok, I flummoxed now!

Why an add-in 3rd party USB 3.1 card?

The MB has the ASMedia ASM2142 Type A and C USB 3.1 controller built onto the MB.

I now understand, I think, why you are not having any luck with 3.1. That add-in card reqs a completely different driver than is available from the MB's Download pagesz.

Rogerino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogerino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 3:56am
It's not additional usb ports, it's an hdd adapter

Edited by Rogerino - 28 Jan 2017 at 3:58am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 8:31am

It's not additional usb ports, it's an hdd adapter

No drivers are req'd for the cable/adapter above

And that's while/after installing the below ASMedia USB 3.1 driver for your motherboards 3.1 A + C ports?
ftp://europe.asrock.com//Drivers/All/USB/ASMedia_USB3.1(v1.16.38.1).zip

If you have installed ASRocks X-Fast USB, please uninstall it and retry, with the above driver.
Rogerino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogerino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 2:06pm
Already tried those asmedia .38 drivers, on a fresh install on a new hdd too (I never installad the X-fast USB software).
I also tried the previous asmedia .36 drivers, no luck.
I couldn't find anything newer than the .38 one.

I was wondering, is it a motherboard firmware problem?
Asmedia usb ports didn't work at all (literally, nothing worked when connected) with first bios release.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 2:15pm
Bear with me here ........ Afterall, it's USB we're discussing.

Do USB 3.0 thumb drives work in the the rear I/O panel w/o disconnecting in the 3.1 port?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming here that you are NOT using extension cables or USB hubs.

Rogerino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogerino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 2:48pm
Yes, they work on the asmedia usb.
After the bios update they work (they weren't working before).
Also hdds are working (with different usb 3.0 adapters).
The linked 3.1 adapter works when connected to intel ports, doesn't work with the asmedia one (it keeps disconnecting). EDIT: under ubuntu, same adapter, same hdd, same asmedia port, works. It worked even with the first bios release.

PS: Not using any extension cables or hubs.

Edited by Rogerino - 28 Jan 2017 at 2:50pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 8:06pm

Yes, they work on the asmedia usb.
After the bios update they work (they weren't working before).
Also hdds are working (with different usb 3.0 adapters).
The linked 3.1 adapter works when connected to intel ports, doesn't work with the asmedia one (it keeps disconnecting). EDIT: under ubuntu, same adapter, same hdd, same asmedia port, works. It worked even with the first bios release.

PS: Not using any extension cables or hubs.

A more accurate title for this thread would be, the ASMedia USB 3.1 port does not work with this Sabrent SATA adapter, and Windows 10. If it works fine with Ubuntu as you said, then there is a difference somewhere that causes it to fail with Windows 10.

According to Sabrent's information about this adapter, Windows 10 is not supported by this product. That is on the Additional Information link on this page, which contradicts the main information page. So what is correct?

https://www.sabrent.com/product/EC-SS31/usb-3-1-type-ssd-2-5-inch-sata-hard-drive-adapter/#additional_information

I have a feeling it's the UASP transfer protocol that is causing problems with the ASMedia USB 3.1 port, and Windows 10.

How long does it take for the USB 3.1 connection to be lost with Windows 10? You could try setting the Turn off hard disk after option in your Windows 10 Power Plan to Never as a test.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic