ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dual GPU not working on x399 Taichi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noktek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual GPU not working on x399 Taichi
    Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:30pm
I've put together a new PC for 3d modelling, rendering and illustration

Its a threadripper 1950 with x399Taichi, and a 1080Ti.

I also wanted to add a 780SC i have around so that CUDA based rendering will be almost twice as fast!

The cards work fine on their own on different systems, but as soon as i put them together in the threadripper, the 780 displays the yellow triangle in the device manager and gives Code 43

If i decide to uninstall the card and reboot nothing changes. He eventually finds the drivers installs them (they are the same for the 1080 anyway) and nothing changes.

If i decide to screen output through the 780, as soon as the nvidia drivers are installed the screen goes black.

basically the 780 is detected but its a zombie dummy sitting by. 
If i remove uninstall the 780 it then shows up as VGA adapter displaying no errors.

I have since then noticed i had not plugged in the 4pin power connector PSU-MOBO
I was so happy and sure i had found the solution.. but then i turned on and it didnt work

so i tought i might aswell try and plug the 6pin power connector that is described as "needed if running 4 gpus", but then the pc does not turn on...

Edited by noktek - 18 Nov 2017 at 6:34pm
Threadripper 1950, Asrock Taichi x399, Noctua 14s, Vengeance LPX 64gb 3066, Asus Strix 1080Ti, EVGA 780 SC, Corsair Hx1200, Samsung 960pro 512, evo 1gb, Barracuda 3gb, win10 64, bios 1.8
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 2:05am
Hmm I'm curious to see what you will find. I too am interested in setting up a second GPU on the same system that you have, but have not bought a second card yet. I also want to do 3D rendering. I'm waiting to have money saved up to buy that second GPU.

Here's one thing you can try. Plug your main 1080ti in the pcie slot you were intending for the 780, but have it there by itself initially. Can it be used as a display card? Does it work fine?

If it does, can you plug the 780 in the other slot? 

I just wanted to see if that pci slot had any issues. If one card alone works fine in either of the PCIE slots, then I suspect there's some configuration error?

Another thing to look into is power supply. It's not enough to have power properly connected to the card, make sure there isn't a specific way you need to feed those cords on the rails of your PSU. I had problems with mine powering one card until I configured it right.

Edited by daddyo - 18 Nov 2017 at 2:13am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 3:56am
noktek, first, please post your system specifications, including the versions of OS and BIOS and power supply - I suggest in your signature as I have.  As daddyo said, power is very important.  Plugging in the MB PCIe power cable when it is not needed definitely should not prevent the system from powering up.  I connected mine just to have a place to park the connector - no problem.  Make sure you are using the PCIe power cables not the CPU cables for the video cards and the MB PCIe connector.  I have never tried multiple video cards, so I have some questions.  Is it OK to use different model cards?  Have you connected the bridge connector(s) between the two cards?  Please tell us what PCIE slots you are using.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 4:28am
are you sure the power supply is up to it ?

is the psu single or dual rail ?
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
noktek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noktek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 2:49am
hi guys thanks for all the suggestions, it was a hard day of trial and error and nothing accomplished:
So today i have:
- tested again the 780 alone on my other system and it works perfectly
-tried the card on each slot of the x399 and none worked, it gave me the same dynamic
-disconnected and reconnected all cables making sure i have cpu/pcie cables used properly
-tried to switch my PSU from single to multiple ("Toggle single +12V rail or multi +12V rail mode. In the ?œSINGLE??position, the full output capability of the power supply?™s +12V rail is available to any and all connectors, while in the ?œMULTIPLE??position, each individual connector has Over-Current Protection so no more than 40A of current can be delivered on any given cable.")
-tried to install drivers in safe mode, and it named the device correctly and did not display errors (but upon launching blender it said i dont have proper hardware)
-tried to copy said installed drivers from safe mode over to normal mode with an installer, and black screen happens again
-uninstalled everything with DDU and tried multiple other older drivers starting from the one provided in the EVGA CDrom back in 2014

now i ran out of time for the day, what i have not tried so far:

-BIOS reset on the GPU. I guess id have to do that on the older machine? 
I tried looking on techpowerup and i found 4 BIOS that seem to match the P/N of the 780SC (03G-P4-2784-KR). although from what i can read they dont seem to differ much (besides the latest one having 100% max fan speed) and i dont know how to proceed and/or if it makes sense?
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/139391/evga-gtx780-3072-130514
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/141919/evga-gtx780-3072-130531-2
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/142776/evga-gtx780-3072-130702
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/145636/evga-gtx780-3072-130704

are these all official? should i just pick the latest?
Threadripper 1950, Asrock Taichi x399, Noctua 14s, Vengeance LPX 64gb 3066, Asus Strix 1080Ti, EVGA 780 SC, Corsair Hx1200, Samsung 960pro 512, evo 1gb, Barracuda 3gb, win10 64, bios 1.8
noktek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noktek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 2:51am
and yes it is possible to use multiple cards not in sli, they wont work "synergically" for games but it will be beneficial for CUDA rendering as cuda cores do sum up and are used as calculus power, which is basically why im doing all this
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 5:38am
noktek, I think you need more power, perhaps 1000 Watts.  Hopefully others will comment.  I have 850 W with one video card and a lot less storage.  The CPU can use close to 200 W under load.  I assume drives are TB (Terra Bytes).  Can you borrow a heftier power supply to try or return yours for credit?  If you test with more power and still have problems, then perhaps you have a MB problem and need to talk to ASRock.  I get drivers from only the vendor who makes the product, not other sites.  Have you looked here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx
Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
JUANNY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUANNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 6:51am
figured ill put in my 2 cents here-for my theadripper 1950x that i just put together yesterday I use the corsair 1500i to power 2 evga 1080 ti in sli. When doing a stress test from aida 64 extreme I was pulling bout 800 watts so my particular build required a beefy power supply
Asrock X399 Fatality Pro Gaming Bios 2.0 Threadripper 1950X Cpu cooler Enermax 360 mm TR4 GSkill 64 GB F4-2933C14Q-64GFX Windows 10 X64 PRO Version 1709 Build 16299.19 2X EVGA 1080 TI in SLI mode
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 9:29am
An HX 1200i should be enough for a TR system and two video cards. This PSU's +12V rail is capable of 100A output. If the PC is drawing over 100A from the +12V rail just booting and at idle, so much for power efficiency of TR:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hxi-series-hx1200i-high-performance-atx-power-supply-1200-watt-80-plus-platinum-certified-psu

Switching to single rail will skip the need to balance the power on the +12V rails, but just starting and running the PC should not cause that much of a power draw. 40A on a rail might be a limitation for the CPU, which could interfere with the PCIe lanes, just a thought. But the CPU here has multiple power sources/connections.

I would start over by clearing the CMOS/UEFI, connect all the PSU cables to the board as required, and use one video card. Possibly starting with the 780 alone in the board. Once one card is working normally, add the other. If you've never tried the 780 by itself, that's what I would try now.

I'm wondering if the VBIOS in the 780 SC is UEFI/GOP compatible. It should be if it is an EVGA video card, EVGA went to UEFI compatible VBIOS starting with the 700 series. The 1080Ti will have a UEFI/GOP compatible VBIOS. Since you use a 960 Pro NVMe SSD as the OS drive, the Windows 10 installation should be UEFI booting by default. Windows 10 installed via a USB flash drive?

You lost me on "If i remove uninstall the 780 it then shows up as VGA adapter displaying no errors." That's the Device Manager entry, correct? I assume that is before you restarted the PC? Or does that ghost entry remain after a restart?

I wonder if this issue is related to the early Window 10 RS1 versions and the IOMMU option being enabled, not being compatible. Obviously the Windows 10 installation boots, so you are either using a Windows 10 RS2 version, or have IOMMU disabled.

So the driver version is identical for both video cards? During the installation, are you prompted to select which card is the target of the installation? Or do both cards just get the driver installed? No errors from the installer during or after the driver installation process?

What happens if you run the NVIDIA Control Panel software with both cards in the PC? Can you check how many PCIe lanes are being used by the 780 with that or other software? If you've used two different video cards like this in the past, is there anything you've had to do to get them working?

Usually two video cards don't have a problem with the amount of memory Windows needs to deal with both cards. The UEFI option to change that is usually called Top Of Lower Usable Dram, or TOLUD, setting it to Dynamic. If and where that option is in your board's UEFI, I'm not sure, usually in the Chipset Configuration screen, but could be elsewhere with X399.

Try to keep an open mind about the mother board being the problem. We see that being blamed for issues all the time, and when a new board fixes nothing, which we also see all too often, it's more than just a waste of time.
happyferret View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happyferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 4:34am
Hi noktek,

I was having the exact same issue (except with 2x 1080Ti) last Friday, and spent more than 8 hours fighting with it until uncovering your post: you are not alone.

I am running linux, but have the exact same problem of the second GPU being detected, but in my case not being usable by CUDA. I have a "beefier" power supply (1200W gold Seasonic), and have had a very strange reactions to switching power cables around in the computer:

- I usually cannot use both cards (more than 99% of the time).
- However, sometimes, after I stop the machine, and switch cables around inside, I can get ONE boot where both cards are detected and can be used by CUDA. This does not last until the next reboot, and has worked oince when both cables were plugged with two cables each (and therefore no PSU power to the motherboard), and ONCE when the motherboard was plugged to the PSU (and therefore one of the GPU was connected to only one power cable (in this case, the detected card was under-powered in a way, but was detected and usable). I am sorry if this is confusing, I can elaborate: TL;DR: I can SOMETIMES get both cards to work, but it seems completely random, is very rare, and does not last after a reboot.

I am extremely confused. I have updated the BIOS to the latest patch (November 7), but this did not help. I suspect that it is not a power problem, but cannot find what seems to have any effect on this problem.

Thanks to anyone with new ideas, I would love to have the two GPUs actually work together :-)
ASRock X399 Taichi, AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950x, 2x NVIDIA 1080Ti, Seasonic 1200W Gold PSU
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic