ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

SM951 as OS boot device information

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 20>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 4:21pm
The only version of Intel RST that shows as compatible with Windows 10 is 14.6, even if I try to manually install 13.1 on Windows 10 it wont take it.

I was never able to run benchmarks on a single SM951 as I didn't want to have to re-install Windows just to do that.

My CrystalDiskInfo only shows 2 SM951 drives (just like HWiNFO) instead of the 3 I have. The Legitreviews CrystalDiskInfo screenshot only shows 1 SM951 instead of the 2 they had installed.

I wonder if having 3 SM951 drives is screwing something up.  The problem is to that that I have to completely reinstall Windows.

Ronzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 11:50pm
I successfully installed Intel RST 13.1 on Windows 10, I had been trying to update the Disk Driver instead of the Storage Controller Driver.  Now Windows wont boot and I'm having to re-install.

I've got an issue open with ASRock.  

Appreciate all the help Parsec!
TimH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 3:00am
Ok looks like there are 2 of us doing this now. 

Since Ronzer is going the Windows 10 route. I will try Windows 7 and we can compare our benchmarks. Maybe something is broken in 10. 

My build is:
Asrock z170 OC Formula
i7 6700
3xSamsung951s 256GB (Raid 0 OS Boot)
32 gigs Ripjaws 4

Ronzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 3:08am
Looking forward to seeing if it is just me :)
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Ronzer Ronzer wrote:

I successfully installed Intel RST 13.1 on Windows 10, I had been trying to update the Disk Driver instead of the Storage Controller Driver.  Now Windows wont boot and I'm having to re-install.

I've got an issue open with ASRock.  

Appreciate all the help Parsec!

Thanks for the help but you must now reinstall Windows again?!?! Ouch  Dead

Earlier today I was thinking what if something like that happens. Sorry that happened, and I know you did that at your own risk... right... right?? Pinch Wink

As I told someone else that asked about using two SM951s, we are among the first to do this, and at the mercy of the hardware and software available. When I say that I'm referring to Intel, the manufacture of the Chipset, CPU, and IRST software.

I received my Skylake CPU, CPU cooler, and DDR4 memory today. Tomorrow I should have the Z170 Extreme7+ board and my second SM951. Knowing me I'll have that PC running by Sunday at the latest, if nothing goes wrong. I'm prepping the PC case and ready to mount the board.

For your technical reading pleasure, a few quotes from the IRST 14.6 Release Notes, specifically from the KNOWN ISSUES section, and my comments:

Intel RST driver v14.5.0.1059 cause BSOD Critical_Process_DIED during Sx (Windows 10-64)

Nuke Dead Clap

RAID0 created using legacy OROM missing metadata on one of the drives (Windows 8.1-46)

*** Metadata is data about data, or in this case it is either the data about the drive itself, or the RAID metadata needed to create the RAID array when the PC boots. This is a scary one. Did you keep the CSM Launch UEFI Storage OPROM Policy setting like this? Or did you install Windows 10 with CSM Disabled? I'm wondering if this is affecting you. ***

PCIe NVMe SSD 2DR0 (2-disk RAID 0) performance lower than pass-through single SSD

*** Yes it states NVMe and two disk RAID 0, but sounds familiar? As IRST beta testers Shocked apparently, if this is only a driver problem or Windows installation configuration problem, I'll be relieved!! ***

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by TimH TimH wrote:

Ok looks like there are 2 of us doing this now. 

Since Ronzer is going the Windows 10 route. I will try Windows 7 and we can compare our benchmarks. Maybe something is broken in 10. 

My build is:
Asrock z170 OC Formula
i7 6700
3xSamsung951s 256GB (Raid 0 OS Boot)
32 gigs Ripjaws 4

If you have problems installing Win 7, let us know.

If you are using CSM Enabled, do you know you need to set the CSM option, Launch Storage OpROM Policy to UEFI Only, and maintain that setting just like maintaining the SATA mode as RAID?

Or if you are going the CSM Disabled route, you must perform a small hack on the Windows 7 installation files configuration to get the EFI boot loader in the right place?
TimH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

If you have problems installing Win 7, let us know.

If you are using CSM Enabled, do you know you need to set the CSM option, Launch Storage OpROM Policy to UEFI Only, and maintain that setting just like maintaining the SATA mode as RAID?

Or if you are going the CSM Disabled route, you must perform a small hack on the Windows 7 installation files configuration to get the EFI boot loader in the right place?

I gave up trying to install windows 7. I have a windows 7 pro upgrade dvd but in order to install that I have to first install the original version of Windows XP I have then once it sees that on the disk the windows 7 will install. Obviously with the USB driver issue I'm not even sure I would be able to install Windows XP and it's sure isn't something I want to trouble shoot for the week it would probably take. So I am going right to windows 10.
Ronzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Thanks for the help but you must now reinstall Windows again?!?! Ouch  Dead

No problem, I knew this might happen.  

You know, I think I had CSM enabled when I created the raid and then disabled it when I installed Windows 10 to get the drive initialization to work.

In the mean time I'm installing Windows 10 on a 4th regular HDD so I can run benchmarks on all 3 SM951s individually then create the raid and benchmark that without having to reinstall.  I'll post my results when I'm done.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 3:09pm
I'm glad you understand, and am not surprised you do.

Sounds like a good idea installing Windows on a SATA drive and then testing the SM951s. If each of them seem to run fine individually, you could then try a two SM951 RAID 0 array and test that also.

Speaking of using a SATA drive, and just checking, but you know you must use the ASMedia SATA ports for the SATA drive. When three M.2 drives are used, none of the Intel SATA ports will be usable, since the resources they use are shared.

The M2_1 port is shared with Intel SATA3 ports 0 and 1, M2_2 port is shared with Intel SATA3 ports 2 and 3, and M2_3 port is shared with Intel SATA3 ports 4 and 5.

Although the Z97 boards had only two M.2 ports, only one was an Ultra port, PCIe 3.0 x4. The Ultra port did not use any SATA resources. The non-Ultra port is PCIe 2.0 x2, and is shared with two Intel SATA3 ports.

That is a major difference between the Z97 and Z170 chipset. The downside to the Z97 configuration was the loss of PCIe 3.0 lanes for video cards when the Ultra M.2 slot is used. Both Haswell and Skylake processors provide 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes. While PCIe 3.0 x8 is plenty for a single high end video card, there is no SLI on Z97 boards if the Ultra M.2 port is used. That would only leave two slots at x8 and x4, not enough for SLI.

Imagine 12 PCIe lanes used for three Ultra M.2 ports, leaving one x4 slot for a video card. Personally I would not choose a board like that for gaming anyway, but a manufacture cannot make a product that "niche" without loosing sales. I would buy it but others would not.

Intel went to 20 PCIe 3.0 lanes in the Z170 chipset, and now has "DMI3" or Direct Media Interface version 3 for the SATA resources. As we know now, those are the resources used for the Ultra M.2 ports.

That should be an improvement for SATA bandwidth for multiple SATA drive RAID arrays, but the question is, is it the same for PCIe M.2 drives as the PCIe lanes from the CPU. That is what we will be learning once all the smoke clears from our testing.
TimH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 3:15pm
i noticed that about the need to use certain SATA PORTS in the manual. However I'm stuck somewhere else.

I setup the 3 m.2 cards as a raid array of 3. Raid 0

I created the volume and rebooted, but it will not give me the option to run the intel Raid setup and hit Ctrl - i. I can begin to install windows 10 but when I get to the screen to chose the drive to install to it says it cannot install on that drive. It sees the full drive but there is no boot partition.

Not sure Why I'm not getting the option to hit CNTROL I

Anyone run into this?

Edited by TimH - 18 Sep 2015 at 3:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 20>
  Share Topic