ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac not starting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GustavoC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by GustavoC GustavoC wrote:

Is it possible there are problems with i7-9700 in combination with this board? I have exact the same problem. In the beginning it kept resetting the bios, so I had a chance to upgrade the bios. In the end, it wouldn't start up at all anymore.

I've sent this board back for repair to the shop where I bought it. They said they fixed it. Interestingly enough, I could start it up again, used it a day or two. Now, as of today, the exact problem is back and I can't boot it up. It just starts up the fans, shuts down, and restarts...

Felt I needed to add something: I did get into windows regularly also after updating the bios. Could even run games properly and use my Valve Index VR kit like a charm. It just stopped working overnight today, just like it did a few weeks ago before I sent this card back.

My setup:
- Asrock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX/AC
- i7-9700K with Scythe Mugen 5 PCGH Edition cooler
- Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 2666
- MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER VENTUS OC
- BitFenix Whisper BWG550M PSU
MikaelS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikaelS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by CHnuschti CHnuschti wrote:

Sounds new to me, but might be an undocumented way to upgrade the bios.

Go to the page https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390%20Phantom%20Gaming-ITXac/index.asp#BIOS and download the "INSTANT FLASH" of newer version, you might try 4.00 first. Unpack the files and copy them to a USB Stick formatted with FAT32.
Then plug the usb stick to one of those Nr. 15 as per manual USB ports and reboot. If it reboots automatically, just let it do this for quite a while, obvioulsy at some point in the reboot processes it possibly triggers an "automatic" attempt to update the bios from a usb stick.

Thanks for this. I've given it a shot but without luck.

The problem is that it never gets to POST, so there is no way it can detect the USB flash update.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 8:34pm
Get in touch with ASRock Tech Support. They should be able to advise you.

https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

MikaelS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikaelS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Get in touch with ASRock Tech Support. They should be able to advise you.

https://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

Thanks Xaltar. I will give it a go.
tormyh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tormyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2019 at 2:15am
Hi. Did you get any reply from support?
Got the exact same problem, nothing only red pulsing lights.

Br.
MikaelS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikaelS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by tormyh tormyh wrote:

Br.

Yes. It is the BIOS version. When I looked at the chip on the board, the small sticker said 1.03 (I believe).

According to https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390%20Phantom%20Gaming-ITXac/index.asp#CPU this board supports 9700 CPU since BIOS version P4.00.

In order to upgrade the BIOS, the only solution provided by Asrock Support, was to install a Gen 8 CPU, update BIOS and then ínstall the Gen 9 CPU.

I shipped the board to my retailer and they would do it for me (since I don't have a Gen 8 CPU).

The board arrived yesterday but I haven't had a chance to test it yet.
tormyh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tormyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by MikaelS MikaelS wrote:

Br.

Yes. It is the BIOS version. When I looked at the chip on the board, the small sticker said 1.03 (I believe).

According to https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390%20Phantom%20Gaming-ITXac/index.asp#CPU this board supports 9700 CPU since BIOS version P4.00.

In order to upgrade the BIOS, the only solution provided by Asrock Support, was to install a Gen 8 CPU, update BIOS and then ínstall the Gen 9 CPU.

I shipped the board to my retailer and they would do it for me (since I don't have a Gen 8 CPU).

Thanks for your answer. My version 1.20 I think. but that wasnt an issue. The problem turns out to be a cable issue. Works great now.
MikaelS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikaelS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 10:56pm

Br.

Thanks for your answer. My version 1.20 I think. but that wasnt an issue. The problem turns out to be a cable issue. Works great now.

Lucky you :-)

Enjoy it, I hope it's worth the money :)
tormyh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tormyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2019 at 11:22pm

Br.

Lucky you :-)

Enjoy it, I hope it's worth the money :)

Really happy with it so far, hope it lasts a long time :)
Klax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 7:29pm
I just powered on my system and have the same issue. However, I have bios version 4.00. Just sent a message to tech support.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic