ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme4, m.2, etc. troubles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 1:39pm
It's starting to sound like at least one UEFI version for the Z170 Extreme4 may have problems. I say may only because I don't have this board and can't confirm that myself. With two users saying the same thing when using 950 Pros, that worries me.

Quick tip about the Samsung Magician software, which I'm glad was mentioned by Christer703. You can see my 950 Pro runs at its normal speed in my AS SSD results. The Magician software lists my 950 Pro as running at 10Gbps, which seems to be reporting the speed of ONE of the four DMI3/PCIe 3.0 lanes, given a correct connection. This is what the Intel IRST Windows software reports for one 950 Pro:

Notice on the left side, the "PCIe Link Speed" of 4000MB/s. If you are using RAID mode, you can install this software and see what it reports your speed as. If you can do that, it might help prove your case about the UEFI issues.

I've used IRST version 14.5 myself, and it did not change the speed of my M.2 connection. You can try the latest version, but I can't tell you it will fix your problem. This is it, but scroll down to the SetupRST.zip file, which is the one you want.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

It is interesting that Christer703 said the Magician software listed his 950 as running at 2.5GBps. Plus the change in speed waking from Sleep. That is good evidence that for some reason the bandwidth of the DMI3 lanes in the Z170 chipset is changing to a lower speed. It should stay at full speed all the time as far as I know.

Questions for those with this situation: Do you have any SATA drives connected to the Intel SATA ports? NOT that should make a difference, but just curious if that might be causing some strange interaction. That would include an Optical drive connected via SATA.

If you do, what SATA speed(s) are the drives you have rated for?

The Chinese Lunar New Year holiday started this week, so everyone in Taiwan is not working, including ASRock. So don't expect a quick reply from ASRock support for a while, sorry to say.

Edited by parsec - 12 Feb 2016 at 1:41pm
netjrb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netjrb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 3:24am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Questions for those with this situation: Do you have any SATA drives connected to the Intel SATA ports? NOT that should make a difference, but just curious if that might be causing some strange interaction. That would include an Optical drive connected via SATA.

Hi Parsec,
This is what I was getting at in my last post.  The common factor seems to be M.2 paired with SATA drives in RAID mode.  I'm on an Extreme 7, but my config is this:

1 * Samsung 950 Pro 256gb(boot), M2_1 slot
2 * WD Red 3TB(RAID1 storage), rated for SATA 6.0Gb/s, SATA3_4 & SATA3_5 slots 

Mushu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 9:45pm

My setup is similar to netjrb's

1* samsung SM951 m.2 nvme 256gb  (MZVPV256HDGL-00000),  Revision BXW7300Q
port: (M2_1), boot disk
2 * sandisk ultra ii 960gb (raid0), Revision X35510RL
ports: (SATA3_2 & SATA3_3), SATA transfer rate 6 Gb/s

-M

Edited by Mushu - 14 Feb 2016 at 9:48pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by netjrb netjrb wrote:

Hi Parsec,
This is what I was getting at in my last post.  The common factor seems to be M.2 paired with SATA drives in RAID mode.  I'm on an Extreme 7, but my config is this:

1 * Samsung 950 Pro 256gb(boot), M2_1 slot
2 * WD Red 3TB(RAID1 storage), rated for SATA 6.0Gb/s, SATA3_4 & SATA3_5 slots 

Thanks guys, interesting information. Thumbs Up

I'm reluctant to state that a RAID array of SATA drives is the cause of the apparent downshift in speed (a term used with SATA drives) in a PCIe SSDs, just yet. What if it is simply a SATA drive that causes this?

That could be a problem with the Z170 chipset itself, since we have reports of this on different boards now, right?

Also consider that there must be others besides you two that have a PCIe NVMe SSD and a RAID array of SATA drives connected to the Z170 chipset. Or simply SATA drives. I'm not aware of any other reports of your situation.

Many possibilities and unknowns, to early to come to conclusions IMO.

I have no SATA drives on my Z170 PC. It will take a little work to change that, which I'll do later today.

I'll of course let you know what happens.
Mushu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 3:07am
Originally posted by Christer703 Christer703 wrote:

There is one other very strange thing about this. if i put the pc in sleep mode and wake it up right away i actually get full speeds. but when i restart the system or turn it off and on again i get the same slow speeds. samsung macigian still says im running in only 2.5Gbps after wakeup from sleep tho. This problem i can reproduce over and over again. 

Thank you Christer for sharing this piece of information.
I have now verified this exact behaviour on my z170 extreme4 board with bios 2.40.

To recap: after cold boot the m.2 seq speeds are low ~750mb, initiate sleep and wake the comp up immediately and the m.2 speeds are up considerably  ~1500(r) ~1200(w).

-M
netjrb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netjrb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 9:05am
Hi Guys,
I just got my replacement Extreme7 motherboard.  BIOS revision is 1.70.  Decided to stick with that revision and see what happened.  It is much more stable.  Which I guess could just be because of the older BIOS.  Don't get random hangs in Windows 10 anymore.  But, if I try using Samsung Magician the system hangs.

Parsec,
What BIOS revision do you recommend using with the Extreme7? 

Thanks,
netjrb

Christer703 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christer703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 10:58pm

It's starting to sound like at least one UEFI version for the Z170 Extreme4 may have problems. I say may only because I don't have this board and can't confirm that myself. With two users saying the same thing when using 950 Pros, that worries me.

Quick tip about the Samsung Magician software, which I'm glad was mentioned by Christer703. You can see my 950 Pro runs at its normal speed in my AS SSD results. The Magician software lists my 950 Pro as running at 10Gbps, which seems to be reporting the speed of ONE of the four DMI3/PCIe 3.0 lanes, given a correct connection. This is what the Intel IRST Windows software reports for one 950 Pro:

Notice on the left side, the "PCIe Link Speed" of 4000MB/s. If you are using RAID mode, you can install this software and see what it reports your speed as. If you can do that, it might help prove your case about the UEFI issues.

I've used IRST version 14.5 myself, and it did not change the speed of my M.2 connection. You can try the latest version, but I can't tell you it will fix your problem. This is it, but scroll down to the SetupRST.zip file, which is the one you want.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

It is interesting that Christer703 said the Magician software listed his 950 as running at 2.5GBps. Plus the change in speed waking from Sleep. That is good evidence that for some reason the bandwidth of the DMI3 lanes in the Z170 chipset is changing to a lower speed. It should stay at full speed all the time as far as I know.

The Chinese Lunar New Year holiday started this week, so everyone in Taiwan is not working, including ASRock. So don't expect a quick reply from ASRock support for a while, sorry to say.

Okay so i have found the source of the problem for me. 

After a lot of testing i found out that by removing 2 of the 4 ram sticks (HyperX Fury 2666MHz 4x4GB), my ultra m2 port runs at PCIe 3.0 mode with full speeds all the time working exactly as its suppose to do. 

So either it is something with the bios that causes this problem or it is something wrong with the motherboard. I have tested the Ram so this is not the issue alone, however there might be a problem with this exact type of ram in combination with this motherboard. I am in contact with Asrock Support about this and will post the answer as soon as i get it. 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 1:48am
Originally posted by Christer703 Christer703 wrote:

Okay so i have found the source of the problem for me. 

After a lot of testing i found out that by removing 2 of the 4 ram sticks (HyperX Fury 2666MHz 4x4GB), my ultra m2 port runs at PCIe 3.0 mode with full speeds all the time working exactly as its suppose to do. 

So either it is something with the bios that causes this problem or it is something wrong with the motherboard. I have tested the Ram so this is not the issue alone, however there might be a problem with this exact type of ram in combination with this motherboard. I am in contact with Asrock Support about this and will post the answer as soon as i get it. 

Thanks for posting what you discovered. That is quite strange that your memory caused the problem, I don't have an explanation for it... yet. The memory controller is in the CPU, and the M.2 slot uses the DMI3 lanes from the Z170 chipset. Whatever interaction (or bug) is involved is more complex than meets the eye.

I tried creating a RAID 0 array of SATA SSDs on my Z170 Extreme7+ board to see if that caused the problem. It doesn't seem to make any difference on my board, and I am using two M.2 SSDs, a 950 Pro and an SM951.

This is a very special RAID 0 volume, composed of a Samsung 840 Pro and a Crucial M4, two completely different SSDs that share nothing besides being SSDs. The result surprised me, I ran the benchmark twice with the same general results:

The 4K write speed is surprising, and does not seem to be a fluke. The M4 limits the sequential write speed, but otherwise this is a good result, with excellent 4K write speed.

Don't let anyone tell you that mixing two different SSDs in RAID 0 is not a good idea. Frankly I've never done this before now, I'm still not sure how I feel about it... Wink

netjrb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netjrb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 2:18am
Hi Parsec,
What BIOS version are you using?

Thanks.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 12:33am
Originally posted by netjrb netjrb wrote:

Hi Parsec,
What BIOS version are you using?

Thanks.

Sorry, I meant to reply to your question a day or two ago... Embarrassed

I'm still using 2.50, with my Z170 Extreme7+ board.

I've never had the random hangs in Windows you mentioned, and have run the Magician software many times, no problem. I've used almost every UEFI version our board has, including some of the no longer available Betas. I have an early production board that came with 1.40.

Hard for me to say which version is the "best", since I never thought I had problems in Windows related to the UEFI version.

But, I would suggest version 2.10 due to its update of the Intel RAID Option ROM and EFI driver. The EFI driver is used by PCIe SSDs, and the RAID Option ROM update has bug fixes for PCIe SSD RAID support.

The IRST driver (version 14) that provides RAID support for PCIe SSDs is in its infancy, and while IMO it is not as good as it could/should be, I can't criticize it too much. It's a one of its kind software for PCs, and manages to work with multiple protocols (SATA and NVMe) at the same time. Quite an accomplishment by Intel, and provided free to us, if we purchase the appropriate platform. Cool

We cannot forget ASRock in this as well, since they provide most of the few boards that let us use this capability. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic