ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

New build using Z270 Pro4, not booting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 11:56pm
Hey guys, I just did an outside the box build but no luck. Cry I placed the motherboard on its box and:
  • I took out the CPU to make sure there is no paste anywhere or any bent pins or anything then put it back in, then I replaced the cooler and plugged it into the CPU_Fan socket.
  • Put the 2400MHz RAM in A2 and made sure it was in properly. I wanted to try A1 first but I had already put in the CPU and the cooler made reaching A1 a bit hard so I went with A2 again.
  • Plugged in the 24-pin power connector and then the 8-pin power connector, making sure they were in properly.
  • Connected the POWER SW connector to the proper header.
  • Plugged in the monitor using a VGA cable, since it's the simplest.
  • Plugged in the keyboard.

And... nothing. Ouch Same thing as before. I then tried connecting through HDMI and then connected the HDMI to a TV just to make sure, but no luck.

Could it be an issue with the Corsair Vengeance RAMs? I saw here that the newer BIOS version improves RAM compatibility, could it be that there have been issues with the older BIOS? The Corsair Vengeance is in ASRock's list of tested memories though but both memories I've tested were of the same brand. I tried finding a different RAM stick from other people but everyone I know either has older desktops that don't have DDR4 or laptops so no luck there either. Is it worth it spending 30+ more Euros to get a cheap 4GB stick to test it? Could the motherboard be simply bad? I ordered it online from a German site and it'll cost quite a bit to send it back so I want to be really sure before doing that.

I'll try putting in the GPU again and try to connect through there using a DV-I cable I didn't have when I first plugged it in.

I took some pictures of the plugged in motherboard, just so you can get an idea, although I doubt they'll help much.

Full view

24-pin, CPU and RAM

8-pin, USB and VGA

Power SW header

Edited by dimpole - 19 Mar 2017 at 12:01am
dimpole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 12:03am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

I'm cross-eyed trying to re-find if you have found a ram slot that it will fire up on. ?????

No, no matter what slot I use the PC doesn't boot.
dimpole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 1:25am
Okay, so I am an idiot... Embarrassed After putting the motherboard back into the box, while I put in the RAM I noticed that after closing the clip on the right side and pushing the left side inside as well, the left side wasn't entering completely. So I pushed it some more and it clicked as well. And then... it worked. LOL I kept putting in the RAM while the MB was in the box and I didn't have good visual contact with the RAM. Putting it while I had the board outside allowed me to finally see it properly.

Well... now I feel like a complete tool. Sorry for wasting everyone's time and thank you very much for your help!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 4:01am
You didn't waste anyone's time. We all started out ourselves doing these same things.

My hats off to you. Your first build and it's working ! Beer
Kurlakins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurlakins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 3:52pm
I ran into the same problem...starting it up everything started to run and not get anything on the screen. I tried the battery solution and that didn?™t work. However, I was about to try switching the ram cards into different slots when I notice that one of my ram cards wasn?™t completely in all the way. I had the clicker in but there was still a little portion not fully inserted. I mean it was so slight that I didn?™t even notice it when I went through my build again. I only noticed it when I was attempting to remove it. I would say it was like 98% inserted, so I pushed it fully in and wouldn?™t you know...I finally got the boot screen.
CMorcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMorcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 9:15am
I'm having the same issue except I've tried the ram in a different system, a different power supply, different GPUs, no gpu, and I've check all my M.2 ports with and without a boot drive/ngff wifi chip. Any help please? (ASROCK Z270 PRO 4)

CPU: i7 6700K
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO
PSU: EVGA 750W GOLD STANDARD

I get no beeps, no POST, nothing...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic