ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS updating insecurities

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
stryzen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stryzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 4:20pm
Hello, I'm new here so I apologize if this has been talked about already. I searched through the forum but haven't found anything similar.

In short, I have a AB350 Pro4 MoBo and Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz RAM's. Unfortunately, they are working on 2133Mhz. The logic step is to update the BIOS but I got scared from reading all those horror stories about bricking the MoBo by doing so. Could you help me to make this process as secure as possible, please? Smile Here we go:

Current BIOS version: 1.30
Win 10 on SSD, no OC's done.

Step by step what I plan to do:
1) Buy a new USB, not bigger than 4gb and format it as FAT32
2) Download the instant flash zip file and unpack it in the root folder of the USB (under no circumstances should I use the Windows method)
3) Reset PC, go to BIOS, set everything to default values and Save&Exit
4) Insert USB in the I/O port (directly to the MoBo, backside of the case) in the 2.0 port
5) Follow method 2 as depicted in this link: http://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS8

Some questions:
-should I update AMD Chipset Drivers before doing this?
-do I have to change anything in the BIOS settings before flashing BIOS (after reseting to default)?
-is it better to do it without a Win install on the HDD?
-did I miss something in my steps?
-anything else I should do/know?

Thank you so much on your time and help, I appreciate it!

Edit: forgot the most obvious - I'm planning to update it to the newest version, 3.20. Any problems with flashing it that I should be aware of?

Edited by stryzen - 04 Oct 2017 at 4:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic