ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Frequent HARD FREEZES  after 1-2 hours of usage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frequent HARD FREEZES after 1-2 hours of usage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bungle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 2:08am
So with the timing of the freezes (around two hours and the frequently if I reboot after that), wouldn't this most likely be a temperature or power issue?  If I let the computer rest for awhile it goes back to two hours before freezing. 
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2017 at 4:04am
It sure does sound like a power or a temperature issue. I didn't recognize the PSU brand and did a quick google search. Looks like that Rosewill Valens -series isn't very good:

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/05/05/rosewill_valens700_700w_power_supply_review/9

The link takes you to the conclusion page, but it seems like it's the DC output that's the weakest part. The summary of the DC output testing is:

"After the very nice start the VALENS-700 had today, the overall DC output quality is lousy. And not just lousy, but failing in a massive right turn into a wall kind of way that hits so hard I should have been wearing a HANS device just watching today's chain of events.

In our testing today, the VALENS-700 started off with rather active traces on the 12v rail but quiet traces on the minor rails. However, during testing all of these values increased dramatically (and differently depending on the AC input voltage) to end out of specification on the 3.3v rail and very high on the others. How bad was it? Well, the 12v rail peaked at ~85mV of ripple/noise and the 3.3v rail did its very best to match that at ~75mV of ripple/noise (the ATX12v specification limit is 50mV). The 5v rail was no saint either as it peaked at ~40mV of ripple/noise during our testing. All things considered, this was just hugely disappointing given our other metrics today and this unit obviously trails the passing Enermax MODU87+ 700W, LEPA G700-MA, and the Rosewill Capstone 750W. Let's move on now to see how this all wraps up (you might be able to guess at this point)."

The big reason high ripple is bad is that it can damage other components. Quickly too, if the ripple is bad enough. It can also make it harder to overclock. If I'm not mistaken, you're running your system at stock settings. At stock, my system's Vcore was bouncing all over the place, so if your system does the same, it would sort of makes sense that combining the half-mental auto setting of the BIOS with ripple from the PSU could cause instabilities. Especially if the ripple gets worse as the PSU warms up. Now, I know this is very "hand wavy", but if I were you, I'd try to install another PSU and see if the freezes still occur.

Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Masardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 1:47am
What are the stock voltages on your RAM and CPU? 

Have you tried increasing/decreasing them?

You might want to try changing your power plan from the control panel to 'High Performance' or 'Power saver' to see if there is any differences.
dane76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dane76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 4:25pm
I also started swing hard freezes on my B350M Win10 build the last couple of weeks. What I have done so far:

Clocked down Ryzen 1200 to default
Update BIOS to 3.3 from 3.1
Update AMD chipset drivers and power plan
Set memory voldtage to 1.35
Set VDDP to 1.1

Next set of action is CMOS clear.
dane76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dane76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 10:02pm
Oh well. In the process of trying to remove my GPU to access the CMOS battery I tore of the PCI Express port. Damn you securing mechanism ! Thats a first for me Cry 

On to the online supplier to order a new motherboard.
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 10:45pm
OMG. That's bad, mkay!

TBH, these new PCIe retention mechanisms prove to be troublesome for many.

Now it's a chance to grab a Taichi! Thumbs Up
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
dane76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dane76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 11:57pm
Instead of trying all kinds of trickery to get the board stable og go through a taxing RMA process I decided to take matters into my own clumpsy hands LOL A litttle shocked that I managed to break it so easy though Ermm
A new MSI B350M Gaming Pro has been ordered. Not a huge selection of M-ATX boards at my local dealer.
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 5:36am
Originally posted by dane76 dane76 wrote:

Instead of trying all kinds of trickery to get the board stable og go through a taxing RMA process I decided to take matters into my own clumpsy hands LOL A litttle shocked that I managed to break it so easy though Ermm
A new MSI B350M Gaming Pro has been ordered. Not a huge selection of M-ATX boards at my local dealer.

Attaboy! Clap

I usually use my 12ga shotgun for skeet shooting bad electronics/stuff I hate. LOL No kidding. Someone behind me throws it in the air and I shoot it. Feeling is priceless!

Hope you have more luck with the MSI as they are not particularly known for great products. Please do come back and do tell us how it went with the new mobo.

Edited by zlobster - 29 Dec 2017 at 5:37am
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
Mr Bungle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bungle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 8:56am
Plugged my own computer?™s PSU into the freezing computer and it froze again.

Uggghhhh... temps look good... not sure what to do. CPU or MOBO issues???

I?™ve seen some of you suggesting adjustments to voltage... how do I do that safely?
php42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote php42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 3:00am
Originally posted by Mr Bungle Mr Bungle wrote:

I?�ve seen some of you suggesting adjustments to voltage... how do I do that safely?

i wouldn't go over 1.35v vcore, 1.1v SoC, or 1.4v DRAM voltage.

it sounds like a ram issue IMO, i had similar issues while i was figuring out my overclock. ryzen sometimes has problems with ram even at stock settings.

if you're running stock, DRAM voltage should be 1.20v by default, try bumping it to 1.30v ~ 1.35v.
don't touch anything else, shouldn't need it if you're not overclocking.

it's possible you may need to adjust ram timings, i don't know if that kit has an XMP profile, but XMP settings usually are not well optimized for ryzen. i would expect it to be fine at stock though, so save that as a last resort.

it's also possible you just got bad ram. if you have any other ram laying around that you can swap it out for just to help narrow down the problem, that might be a good idea.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic