ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme4, m.2, etc. troubles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netjrb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 6:19am
Hi Guys,
Finally found stability on my motherboard.  The issue was having two Blu-ray drives hooked to the ASMedia SATA ports.  Once I disconnected them I was stable.  Swapped them over to Intel SATA ports and still stable. 

Mushu,
Did you have any Blu-ray or DVD drives hooked to your ASMedia ports?

AlexF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 11:35am
I am having the same problem Christer has.  My read speeds are too slow (especially random read).  The speed jumps remarkably for a seconds when I put the computer to sleep and then wake it back up and immediately run the Samsung Magician benchmark test -- but then it drops to being slow again.  I installed all the latest chipset drivers and the Samsung NMVe driver.  My memory is running at 3200, I have a SATA SSD and SATA HDD plugged in as well.

My setup is:
GIGABYTE GA-Z170N-WIFI (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
+
Intel Core i5-6500 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I56500 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530
+
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVK
+
SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 256GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V5P256BW

Edited by AlexF - 28 Feb 2016 at 11:38am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by netjrb netjrb wrote:

Hi Guys,
Finally found stability on my motherboard.  The issue was having two Blu-ray drives hooked to the ASMedia SATA ports.  Once I disconnected them I was stable.  Swapped them over to Intel SATA ports and still stable. 

Mushu,

UGH, ASMedia SATA chipset... Angry

Some mother board manufactures suggest not using optical drives on the ASMedia SATA ports. Now you can see why.

I had the 840 Pro I used in my crazy RAID 0 array connected to the ASMedia SATA chipset a while ago. I could not run AS SSD on it, it would fail with some error I've never seen before. Plus running the Win 10 manual TRIM feature on it would never finish, and I had to kill the the Properties process with Task Manager. The TRIMcheck program would hang when I tried to test TRIM on the ASMedia chipset. I've tried both an ASMedia driver and the generic Windows AHCI driver, no difference.

I suppose you can use HDDs on the ASMedia chipset, but if I can't get a TRIMcheck or manual TRIM to complete on it, how can I trust using an SSD on it?

I should say that about two years ago, the new (at the time) Intel IRST RAID driver had some kind of interaction with the ASMedia chipset that caused problems with the IRST Windows program. It would not run at all. I suppose the problems I see with the ASMedia chipset MIGHT be related to the IRST RAID driver, but I don't really know. How could this still be a problem years later?

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by AlexF AlexF wrote:

I am having the same problem Christer has.  My read speeds are too slow (especially random read).  The speed jumps remarkably for a seconds when I put the computer to sleep and then wake it back up and immediately run the Samsung Magician benchmark test -- but then it drops to being slow again.  I installed all the latest chipset drivers and the Samsung NMVe driver.  My memory is running at 3200, I have a SATA SSD and SATA HDD plugged in as well.

My setup is:
GIGABYTE GA-Z170N-WIFI (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
+
Intel Core i5-6500 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I56500 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530
+
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVK
+
SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 256GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V5P256BW

Thanks for this information. Sorry you have this problem, but that it happens on another manufacture's mother board makes this issue a potential problem with the 950 Pro itself. I'm NOT saying I know this is true, but if we see more cases of this on other boards, that puts the drive itself into doubt.
AlexF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 9:10pm
Thanks for your input.  You guys have some pretty good information in this thread and, for example, it was a  good find that Christer noticed this is temporarily alleviated by sleep/wake-up.  Not sure I would have thought of that if I didn't see his post about that.

Yes, maybe a problem with the 950 Pro, but there are also a lot of similarities to my setup and Christers.  Both running Win10 64-bit, and both motherboards on the Z170 chipset, etc.  It is a bit weird removing 2 of his 4 RAM sticks fixed his problem.  I am only using 2 sticks, 2x8 GB as you can see, and it's 3200 DDR4 which is specifically meant for the Z170.

I'm wondering if I'm going to just have to wait this one out for something like a new BIOS update, an updated NMVe driver, a chipset driver update, etc.  I have turned off all power management settings and even called Samsung late last week and talked to their support.  I checked everything that they wanted me to and they still weren't able to figure out what it was.  Similar to my experience as one of the first people to get a SSD when they came out, this may just be the temporary price I have to pay for being a relatively early adopter of M.2 NMVe technology :(
AlexF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 9:27pm
Also here are the speeds I'm getting to quantify what "slow" is:
http://i65.tinypic.com/33biosg.jpg

This is out of Samsung Magician 4.9.5 running on Win10 Pro 64-bit (10.0.10586) 

As you can see the writes both are very good.  The sequential read is about 10-15% slower than I would expect....however, the random read is TERRIBLE.

Edited by AlexF - 28 Feb 2016 at 9:31pm
domogled View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote domogled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 4:36am
Hello everyone,
it is my first post here on asrock forum.
I purchased an Asrock Z170 Extreme4+ motherboard couple of weeks ago, it is my third Asrock motherboard afterZ77 OC Formula and some socket a/462 motherboard I owned 12 years ago or more.
Got some issues, various issues with the system I've built (I3 6100,Corsair Vengeance 2666 2*8GB, Samsung 950Pro 256GB NVME, WD 6TB green as hdd, one bluray writer, one dvd writer and an Asus Xonar sound card [from  my previous system]).
.The system runs win 7 sp1 64 installed from a stick and nvme drivers loaded also from a stick during installation.
The system is great while working :D the problems occurs while trying to boot up and while shutting it down.
Small problem first: 2 out of 3 shutdowns, the system shuts itself down, the windows is closing but electrically is still on, the coolers still spinning yet the OS is off, blank/black screen.
I have to force the shut down from the button so it is also shut down electrically.
And now the bigger problem, after 16 hours being completely off, no power in psu I switch the supply;s power button and power on the system from mobo;s button (I do not use a case).So i attempt a cold boot from the very beginning. The boot sequence (POST) is very oiften long, takes long to pass,  sometimes hangs at various codes either 35, 53, F4 (no it is not memory related as it  presents also while memory running at 2133) . I have to press reset, then at second, or third try the POST sequence is finally passing til code 99, it beeps for ok and onward to the windows logon screen... when it hangs. I have to press the reset button once again but if i wait for too long, the reset button won't go so i press the power button for 4 seconds. So, the second attempt, it hangs again, maybe, or maybe not. Sometimes I just shut down the power source from its button and it boots up like nothing ever happened before, quicker and maybe it hands while windows logon or maybe not.
I know you may say, too many variables, why do you still use win 7 sp1 64. Well I believe the hanging at post is quite odd and has nothing to do with the operating system, and I guess the partial shutdown is about the same, motherboard related issue as operating system is closed yet electrically the system is still on.
But, tha annyoinf thing is that the system works like a charm, after i managed to boot it in windows no complains whatsoever while it is on. Everyday i spend like 10-15 minutes to power it on.
There is one slight overclocking concerning the ram modules, they are rated as 2666mhz but i keep them at 2800mhz. No voltage adjustments, everything on auto. The problems remains either i set the ram modules at 2666 or 2133, it  behaves the very same.
All drivers are the latest ones available, the NVME ones for the ssd are the latest available from Samsung and where installed while installing the windows, so no other drivers ever used before.
The bios version i use is 2.30. not the latest but the previous one.
One question tho, is there any difference between extreme4 bioses and extreme4+ ones? I mean the board is the same, extrem4+ has the usb3.1 panel. By the way, I've got the bay but not sata express cable so the panel is unusable for me no cable to connect it to the motherboard :(
I installed windows 7 with CSM setting as uefi. Any ideas?
Thanks for your time

Mushu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 11:24pm
Hi guys,

Originally posted by netjrb netjrb wrote:

Mushu,

No I don't have anything connected to those ports, I have tried also disabling those before OS install. It made no difference.

As you can see the writes both are very good.  The sequential read is about 10-15% slower than I would expect....however, the random read is TERRIBLE.
I have a SM951 and can confirm similar result on poor read speed, (even with the fix I did). Should be around 2200MB for SM951 but I get only ~1800. My write speed however is at 1250MB as it should.

Originally posted by domogled domogled wrote:

Small problem first: 2 out of 3 shutdowns, the system shuts itself down, the windows is closing but electrically is still on, the coolers still spinning yet the OS is off, blank/black screen.
I have to force the shut down from the button so it is also shut down electrically.
I can confirm this problem, I had this happen to me alot too. (I have the Z170 Extreme4)

Originally posted by domogled domogled wrote:

And now the bigger problem, after 16 hours being completely off, no power in psu I switch the supply;s power button and power on the system from mobo;s button (I do not use a case).So i attempt a cold boot from the very beginning. The boot sequence (POST) is very oiften long, takes long to pass,  sometimes hangs at various codes either 35, 53, F4 (no it is not memory related as it  presents also while memory running at 2133) . I have to press reset, then at second, or third try the POST sequence is finally passing til code 99, it beeps for ok and onward to the windows logon screen... when it hangs. I have to press the reset button once again but if i wait for too long, the reset button won't go so i press the power button for 4 seconds. So, the second attempt, it hangs again, maybe, or maybe not. Sometimes I just shut down the power source from its button and it boots up like nothing ever happened before, quicker and maybe it hands while windows logon or maybe not. 
I know you may say, too many variables, why do you still use win 7 sp1 64. Well I believe the hanging at post is quite odd and has nothing to do with the operating system, and I guess the partial shutdown is about the same, motherboard related issue as operating system is closed yet electrically the system is still on. 
I can also confirm this problem, random to no success in getting to windows after OS install.

Then the good news:
I managed to circumvent most of my earlier problems by doing the following
Updated to bios 2.90
BCLK to 100.000 (not auto)
PCH +1.0 Voltage up by 0.050V => 1.150V (<- this is now the same value as it was with bios 2.40)
VCCIO Voltage up by 0.050V => 1.200V (<- this is now the same value as it was with bios 2.40)
CSM disabled (first set all subpolicies to do not launch)
fast boot enabled
boot manager disabled
Clean OS install

Additionally I updated the EFI drivers inside the BIOS, but this is not necessary for stability. I just wanted to have newer raid driver...

Now I have a fully stable system, with no random loss(disappearance) of the M.2 drive during boot up.
Every boot works like it should, be it cold or reset. Sleep also works as it should and even M.2 channel is at PCIE 3.0 with R:~1800M and W:~1250M.

My remaining issues are the low read performance of the M.2 and too high access time/low read IOPS for the SSD raid0 set.[0.250-0.170ms read access time according to AS SSD benchmark, read IOPS should be 2-4 times as high for 512B packet size, same problem without bios package modifications]
Luckily I can live with these annoyances for the time being.
domogled View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote domogled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 10:27pm
Hey Mushu,
I have an improvement yet I do not know it is just luck because I made the change only 3 days ago, so not many bootups-shutdown to confirm as a rule, rather I'd call it an improvement. Well I moved my memory modules closer to the cpu from A2 & B2  to A1 & B1. I thought i should give it a try and see. Out of 4 boot ups so far 3 were successful, no hang ups. Yesterday tho it hanged with a "00" code but right after reset it booted up with no hangs in windows logon. Actually I experienced no more windows login hangs at all, just a asingle hang with "05" code while shutting down but only once out of 3 shutdowns
I wonoder whether the 2.90 might be a good idea for my 4+ too, is there any other difference   between 4 and 4+ apart of the external bay? Maybe different pcb revisions of the same board?
I have to read more about your settings to understand your approach.
Right now i have no clue whether 2.90 is good for me or not, i am still using 2.,30 as 2.40 comes with some certain limitations.
Christer703 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christer703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 12:12am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

My setup is:
+
+
+

Thanks for this information. Sorry you have this problem, but that it happens on another manufacture's mother board makes this issue a potential problem with the 950 Pro itself. I'm NOT saying I know this is true, but if we see more cases of this on other boards, that puts the drive itself into doubt.

Okay so after some emails back and forth with Asrock support, they sent me a bios update. (version 3.0). 
This actually fixed the problem for meClapStar The Ultra m2 port now runs in PCIe 3.0 X4 mode all the time with full speed 100% of the time. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic