ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Samsung 950 pro m.2 raid 0 sleep problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 2:27am
You might be able to manually update the IRST driver to the native Windows version. Doing a Browse for drivers on the PC, and select from a list on the PC.

I get to the point in the manual update where I think I see the native Windows IRST driver, but no idea what version it is. All it says is Intel Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller.

If it is NOT an IRST version 14 version, in your case with the 950 Pro RAID 0 array, since ONLY IRST version 14 drivers support PCIe NVMe SSDs in RAID, you should NOT try that! Unless you feel like installing Windows again on a most likely dead RAID 0 array. Ouch  Friends don't let friends kill their RAID 0 arrays. LOL

I don't know if the ASRock UEFI is having a problem with the M.2 system after waking from Sleep. IMO, if it did we would see it with a single 950 Pro, which we don't. That is, if the DMI3 bandwidth in the chipset was reduced after waking from Sleep, would it not happen to all M.2 ports?

Speaking of which, my 950 Pro is in the M2_3 slot. Which M.2 slot do you use?

Add the IRST RAID driver to the mix, but the question still becomes WHAT is changing, IF it was a wake from Sleep UEFI issue?

Just for fun, this is yet again my single 950 Pro after waking from Sleep, Crystal test version:

CrystalDiskMark 5.1.2 x64 (C) 2007-2016 hiyohiyo
                           Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) :  2187.658 MB/s
  Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) :   955.658 MB/s
  Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :   767.589 MB/s [187399.7 IOPS]
 Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) :   334.638 MB/s [ 81698.7 IOPS]
         Sequential Read (T= 1) :  2036.506 MB/s
        Sequential Write (T= 1) :   957.743 MB/s
   Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :    59.438 MB/s [ 14511.2 IOPS]
  Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) :   244.274 MB/s [ 59637.2 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [C: 12.1% (24.2/200.0 GiB)] (x5)  [Interval=5 sec]
  Date : 2016/07/15 13:05:14
    950 Pro After Wake From Sleep

gtharea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtharea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 3:23am
Hello all, I am also having sleep issues with RAID, but they seem to be much worse than others on here. 

I have two SM951 AHCI drives in the M2_1 and M2_3 ports (im not using port 2 because the gfx card is on top of it and affects cooling)

With the 3.00 BIOS and Intel RST 14.8 installed on windows 10, I am unable to successfully wake up from sleep. Sometimes I can unlock the computer, but then it freezes at the windows desktop. Other times my monitors turn on but there is just a blank screen. I have to hold down the case power button and cold boot in order to get back to windows. 
Clearing CMOS does nothing except destroy my RAID array.

However, when I switch to BIOS B, which is version 1.80, I am able to sleep and wake properly. I notice that the RAID driver in UEFI is 14.5, while the windows driver is 14.8. 

The only issue I see is half speeds after wake, like the others in this thread. 

If I downgrade to windows Intel RST 14.5 (from the extreme7+ download page) so that it matches the UEFI version, then I cant wake from sleep....

So frustrating. I hope ASRock can provide some insight to these issues. 

EDIT; I figured out what was causing the freezing... DVD drive connected to the ASMedia controller. Once I disconnected the drive, no more freezing. However I'm still getting half speed after waking from sleep. BIOS 3.00, Windows 10 x64 Intel drivers 14.6.0.1029, I dont have RST installed

Edited by gtharea - 17 Jul 2016 at 6:35am
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 10:08am
>>EDIT; I figured out what was causing the freezing... DVD drive connected to the ASMedia controller. Once I disconnected the drive, no more freezing. However I'm still getting half speed after waking from sleep. BIOS 3.00, Windows 10 x64 Intel drivers 14.6.0.1029, I dont have RST installed

Interesting about the ASMedia as I have a hot swap bay connected to those ports, however it is not powered On. Are you running the latest ASMedia drivers?

Unless you plan on reinstalling Windows do not clear CMOS :(

Did you lose your array when you switched to BIOS version 1.8?

No need to downgrade the IRST driver to match the BIOS version. If 14.8 works use it. Are you running an o/c or Speedstep and C States disabled?

During installation you used a floppy driver version of IRST,...you just don't have the GUI installed so you can view information and make changes.

Edited by clubfoot - 17 Jul 2016 at 10:10am
gtharea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtharea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 10:08pm
Interesting about the ASMedia as I have a hot swap bay connected to those ports, however it is not powered On. Are you running the latest ASMedia drivers?

Dont think so, I was using whatever windows defaults to... Would you be kind enough to share a link to them?

Did you lose your array when you switched to BIOS version 1.8?

When I switched from BIOS 3.00 to BIOS 1.80 using the switch on the MB I did not lose the array. However clearing CMOS ruins the array, as we all know. I imaged my windows install, no big deal.

No need to downgrade the IRST driver to match the BIOS version. If 14.8 works use it. Are you running an o/c or Speedstep and C States disabled?

During installation you used a floppy driver version of IRST,...you just don't have the GUI installed so you can view information and make changes.

I am not currently running an OC, but when I do OC to 4.7, the same behaviors are present. I did not change any speedstep or C states settings, so whatever the BIOS default is.

I was paranoid about different IRST driver versions for some reason. Now that I figured out it was the ASMedia DVD drive, i'll probably update to 14.8

Thanks for your help.

Edited by gtharea - 17 Jul 2016 at 10:09pm
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 1:58am
>>Don't think so, I was using whatever windows defaults to... Would you be kind enough to share a link to them?

Station Drivers usually has the latest (select english flag) as well as IObit Driver Booster.
http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1483:z170-extreme7&catid=171&Itemid=169&lang=fr

>>When I switched from BIOS 3.00 to BIOS 1.80 using the switch on the MB I did not lose the array. However clearing CMOS ruins the array, as we all know. I imaged my windows install, no big deal.
If you do not require any "special" features in 3.00 and 1.80 works well with sleep,...than use 1.8,...without clearing CMOS :)

Edited by clubfoot - 18 Jul 2016 at 1:59am
Grant Rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2016 at 2:53am
Just thought I would update you guys, I have created two tickets, one with ASRock and another with Intel.  They are both investigating; I will let you know when I have an concrete answers.

Grant
nme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 5:42am
OP here, i don't get the notification in my email either! going to enable them now lol.... 

I didn't get any responses from here for months so I went about my way. I still have the same set up and all i have been doing is using hibernate instead of sleep. It takes a little longer to boot but the drives work at full speed after waking from hibernate so I've just been dealing with it.

Interesting to see so many responses though! I guess i'll hop back on the train and try some things and post back soon. Hopefully we can figure something out.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 11:25am
Originally posted by nme nme wrote:

OP here, i don't get the notification in my email either! going to enable them now lol.... 

I didn't get any responses from here for months so I went about my way. I still have the same set up and all i have been doing is using hibernate instead of sleep. It takes a little longer to boot but the drives work at full speed after waking from hibernate so I've just been dealing with it.

Interesting to see so many responses though! I guess i'll hop back on the train and try some things and post back soon. Hopefully we can figure something out.

What is the difference between Hibernate and Sleep? The only difference (supposedly) is the "snapshot" of the state of the OS that is stored in DRAM memory when Sleep or Hibernate are started is written to disk in Hibernate mode.

But one more important detail about Hibernate: The snapshot of the OS written to disk is ONLY used to restore the PC upon waking if power to the PC is removed or lost while in Hibernate mode.

If the "Sleep" indication of the power LED on your PC case (mine blinks on and off) is active, obviously power to the PC was not lost. But you said coming out of Hibernate is slower than Sleep, meaning the disk image is being used to restore the desktop.

Is power removed from your PC when you use Hibernate?

If Hibernate is truly only Sleep with the addition of the OS image saved to disk, then how does it work fine when Sleep doesn't?

Also, why does the disk OS image apparently work to restore the desktop perfectly, including the RAID 0 array, but the OS image in DRAM does not?

Yet another example of the strange nature of Windows Sleep and Hibernate.

The following is not directed at you personally, nme, but in general to those whom have this issue:

Don't forget that Sleep and Hibernate are 100% Microsoft Windows features, provided by and running in a Microsoft OS.

So explain to me why the first complaints go to the mother board manufacture, and Intel? What about Samsung too?

Have you contacted Microsoft about this?

FYI, the IRST software is provided as is with nothing about it guaranteed whatsoever. The following is taken from this file:

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25165/eng/F6flpy_ReadMe.txt

EXCEPT AS PROVIDED ABOVE, THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
 WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NONINFRINGEMENT,
 OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Intel does not warrant or assume responsibility
 for the accuracy or completeness of any information, text, graphics, links or other
 items contained within the Software. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. IN NO EVENT SHALL INTEL OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY
 DAMAGES WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOST PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION
 OR LOST INFORMATION) ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE, EVEN
 IF INTEL HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. SOME JURISDICTIONS
PROHIBIT EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONSEQUENTIAL OR
 INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. YOU MAY ALSO HAVE
 OTHER LEGAL RIGHTS THAT VARY FROM JURISDICTION TO JURISDICTION.
My actual point is, Intel will just put this issue, IF it is really the fault of the IRST driver, on the list of IRST issues (plenty already in the list), which may or may not be fixed in the future.

Grant Rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 6:59pm
Hi all,

It has been a while to post, but I got a BIOS from support that fixes this issue!  The BIOS was version 2.5 (I guess this was a BETA version) where the latest BIOS is 2.6 (this problem is not fixed in this version).

I can upload the BIOS somewhere if people are interested in trying it out.  I have made support aware of this forum post too.

Grant
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Grant Rogers Grant Rogers wrote:

Hi all,

It has been a while to post, but I got a BIOS from support that fixes this issue!  The BIOS was version 2.5 (I guess this was a BETA version) where the latest BIOS is 2.6 (this problem is not fixed in this version).

I can upload the BIOS somewhere if people are interested in trying it out.  I have made support aware of this forum post too.

Grant

For your Z170 OC Formula, there is a standard 2.50 UEFI version, but the latest Beta is 1.92. So the UEFI version file you got is 2.50, or something else? Apparently not.

So you actually cleared the UEFI with the UEFI version ASRock sent you, and your RAID 0 array survived? Great, and thanks for trying that for us and ASRock. Kinda scary to do that, wasn't it?

You should make it clear that the UEFI version ASRock sent you with the fix is ONLY for the Z170 OC Formula. Not that it should cause problems with other boards, it won't install, but you know what I mean.

Is there anything you noticed about that UEFI version regarding UEFI options or settings that is different than the others, that prevents the failure of the RAID array?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic