ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't exceed 2800MHz RAM speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LogicIsArt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 9:12pm
Tried Ryzen RAM Calculator. After I calculated "safe", I've set all the values in BIOS to match the ones recommended by the program. Well, at least all the values I've found. Some (every CAD_BUS ****) weren't present, or at least not easy to find.

However, this didn't solve my problem. Even with the recommenced settings the system won't boot at first start.

@PetrolHead

Didn't overclock the CPU at all. Before this I've been using a X370 Gaming K4 with an 1700 non-X CPU. Using the same ram, at least with the Gaming K4 I've managed to get 3000mhz.

And I know those RAM can do 3200, too. It's just that the X370 Professional refuses to boot at that speed. Once it reset the speed to measly 2400mhz, I can enter the BIOS and load the XMP-profile with its 3200MHz. After hitting F10 and Enter, the OS will load normally and stays stable all the time.
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 2:45am
The RAM may be able to do 3200MHz, the CPU may not. Remember that the stock RAM speed for Ryzen 1xxx CPUs is 2667MHz and anything over that is an overclock situation for the CPU memory controller (although strictly speaking enabling the XMP profile is an overclock for the RAM as well, even if it's supposed to be able to handle the XMP speed). In any case, it's really a lottery that involves the CPU, the motherboard and the sticks themselves. Sometimes they just don't care for each other, sometimes they work together like a charm. Now, since you saw some progress changing the SOC voltage, you might be able to push at least beyond 2800 MHz by tweaking the voltages. My suggestion is to set SOC voltage back to auto and RAM voltage to 1.4V (just like gizmic said), then increase the RAM speed to 2933 MHz. If that works, increase the speed to 3000 MHz and check if that's stable. If not, set the SOC voltage to 1.1 V and see if that stabilizes the memory. Also, I'd still try setting the CPU voltage manually. The voltages can be all over the place with the auto setting, which may make matters worse, even if it doesn't directly affect the RAM or the IMC.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic