ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390: M.2 SSDs and disabed SATA ports

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 1:22pm
Quote:

"Regarding your question, only
the SATA type M.2 connects to M2_1 will disable the SATA3_1 port.

If you are using the PCIe NVMe type M.2 at M2_1, all 4 SATA ports can be used.
====================

Hi, I have a Z390 Extreme 4
I tried to install a 970 EVI NVMe M.2 at M 2_1 and M 2_2

Both times other Sata   drives were disabled.

I thought if it was an NVMe it would not disable.

Any thoughts, any way to get all the drives to work?
Thanks

[/QUOTE]
AntoMac93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntoMac93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 7:10am
I always have the same question for Z390 Extreme4 ... I am using it for home nas type storage, it is not the best choice, but I wanted to know if I can connect an NVMe M.2 ssd without disabling any sata port on board.

The manual is unclear, it is not clear if the disabling is valid only using Mata Sata units or also with NVMe M.2

I have submitted a support ticket for this question, as I have yet to purchase an NVMe M.2 unit
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 5:40pm
Dear AntoMac93,

For your reference, kindly refer to the following information.
M2_1, SATA3_0, and SATA3_1 share lanes.
M2_2, SATA3_4, and SATA3_5 share lanes.

If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD
rknox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 9:45am
Okay, this M.2 topic is confusing. My question is for the Z390M-ITX/AC. The specs state: If M2_1 is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, SATA3_1 will be disabled. I too want to maximize the SATA ports available. If I use a NVME M.2 device instead of a SATA-type M.2 device, then I should be able to use all 6 SATA ports, including SATA3_1? Is that correct?

Thanks,
rknox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 5:10am
Originally posted by rknox rknox wrote:

Okay, this M.2 topic is confusing. My question is for the Z390M-ITX/AC. The specs state: If M2_1 is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, SATA3_1 will be disabled. I too want to maximize the SATA ports available. If I use a NVME M.2 device instead of a SATA-type M.2 device, then I should be able to use all 6 SATA ports, including SATA3_1? Is that correct?

Thanks,

I went ahead with the Z390M-ITX/AC build, and answered my own question. Great news: the ASRock stated restriction applies as suggested, to a SATA M.2 device only. I have the Samsung M.2 NVMe 970 Evo Plus installed as boot drive and additionally successfully attached a hdd drives to SATA3_1 (pic attached). This gives me a potential configuration of 6 hdd drives plus NVMe boot.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic