ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390: M.2 SSDs and disabed SATA ports

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aadithya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z390: M.2 SSDs and disabed SATA ports
    Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 10:15am
I am considering buying 2 ASROCK Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/ac motherboards, but I have a question before buying.

This motherboard has 4 SATA3 slots (SATA3_0, SATA3_1, SATA3_2, and SATA3_3) and 2 M.2 slots (M2_1 and M2_2). The motherboard manual says "if M2_1 is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, SATA3_1 will be disabled". My question is: does this disabling apply only to "SATA-type" M.2 devices or also to NVME-type devices? That is, if I connect an NVME device like the Samsung 970 EVO to M2_1, will it still disable SATA3_1?

I want to simultaneously connect 6 storage drives to the motherboard as follows:

M2_1: Samsung 970 EVO (NVME device)
M2_2: Samsung 970 EVO (NVME device)
SATA3_0: 2.5" hard drive
SATA3_1: 2.5" hard drive
SATA3_2: 3.5" hard drive
SATA3_3: 3.5" hard drive

Is this possible or is it not possible because SATA3_1 will be disabled in this configuration?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 11:35am

Dear Aadithya,

Regarding your question, only the SATA type M.2 connects to M2_1 will disable the SATA3_1 port.

If you are using the PCIe NVMe type M.2 at M2_1, all 4 SATA ports can be used.

Thank you!

Yours truly,

ASRock TSD

aadithya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aadithya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 12:18pm
Thank you very much!
Amdir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amdir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 5:26am
My NVME drive in M_1 disabled Sata in slot 0 and 1. Is there anything in BIOS to fix this? It's a Samsung EVO 970 NVME drive.
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 10:56am
Dear Amdir,

Thank you for choosing ASRock.

Regarding your case, which motherboard are you using?
Also, please clear CMOS firstly and update BIOS to the latest version to check.

Thank you!
Yours truly,
ASRock TSD
Amdir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amdir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2019 at 5:46pm
Sorry about that. It's a Z390 Taichi. Cmos is clear and BIOS is the latest version.
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 10:30am
Dear Amdir,

Z390 Taichi [M2_1], [SATA3_0 and SATA3_1] share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.
Please connect the NVMe SSD to M2_2 then all SATA ports can be used.
(Please check the specification of Storage)
https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z390%20Taichi/index.asp#Specification

Thank you!
Yours truly,
ASRock TSD
Amdir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amdir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 2:42pm
Thank you for your reply. How about M.2 slot 3?
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 11:40am
Dear Amdir,

The [M2_3], [SATA3_4 and SATA3_5] share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.

Thank you!
Yours truly,
ASRock TSD
renew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2019 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by ASRock_TSD ASRock_TSD wrote:

[URL=][/URL]<p ="Msonormal"><span lang="EN-US" style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Meiryo","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-fareast;mso-fareast-font-family:?�細?��?;mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-fareast;mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-fareast">Dear Aadithya,<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span lang="EN-US" style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Meiryo","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-fareast;mso-fareast-font-family:?�細?��?;mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-fareast;mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-fareast"><o:p>?</o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span lang="EN-US" style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Meiryo","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-fareast;mso-fareast-font-family:?�細?��?;mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-fareast;mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-fareast">Regarding your question, only
the SATA type M.2 connects to M2_1 will disable the SATA3_1 port.<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span lang="EN-US" style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Meiryo","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-fareast;mso-fareast-font-family:?�細?��?;mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-fareast;mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-fareast">If you are using the PCIe NVMe
type M.2 at M2_1, all 4 SATA ports can be used.<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span lang="EN-US" style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Meiryo","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-fareast;mso-fareast-font-family:?�細?��?;mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-fareast;mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-fareast"><o:p>?</o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span lang="EN-US" style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Meiryo","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-fareast;mso-fareast-font-family:?�細?��?;mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-fareast;mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-fareast">Thank you!<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span lang="EN-US" style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Meiryo","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-fareast;mso-fareast-font-family:?�細?��?;mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-fareast;mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-fareast">Yours truly,<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="Msonormal"><span lang="EN-US" style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Meiryo","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-fareast;mso-fareast-font-family:?�細?��?;mso-hansi-theme-font: minor-fareast;mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-fareast">ASRock TSD<o:p></o:p></span>

Hi, I have a Z390 Extreme 4
I tried to install a 970 EVI NVMe M.2 at M 2_1 and M 2_2

Both times other Sata   drives were disabled.

I thought if it was an NVMe it would not disable.

Any thoughts, any way to get all the drives to work?
Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic