ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Motherboard Now???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DunGoneNuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Motherboard Now???
    Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 10:34am
As you can see in my signature, I have the ASRock Taichi X370 motherboard.  I lost the LAN (Ethernet) about a month ago when there were three consecutive lightning hits near my house.  Did not cause a power outage but it managed to fry my LAN connection on my board.  It also fried my cable model, two network boxes, and a bunch of other stuff.

I suspect EMP because of the damage to the electronics.  Fried my wife's work laptop and she is on the other side of the house.  Anything connected to the cable modem got fried.  The hit then traveled down the power cable for the modem and fried everything electronic on the house circuit that the modem was hooked to including my sons brand new 65" TV.

So now I have asked for a RMA to have the board repaired but I am thinking that maybe I should just get a different motherboard.  As I have not been on the forum for awhile, I do not know all the ins and outs of the newest motherboards.  I would like to keep the current components, hell they are all less than 1 year old.  But maybe an upgrade to the motherboard?

What is the recommended motherboard for my specs listed below.  I know they went on from the X370 to the X470 but where are they now?

Please help on this.  I do not want to spend the next week researching just for another motherboard.  I was happy with the Taichi Ryzen X370.  I do have some excellent GSKILL memory that I was able to run stable at 3400 but never got to 3600 as promised by the manufacture.

Recommendations?  Thanks.
Ryzen 9 5900X
ASRock X370 Taichi
G Skill F4-3200
MSI Armor 2070
MSI SPATIUM 1TB M2
WD 1TB M2
Crucial 500 SSD
Corsair AX860i PSU
Corsair H115Pro WB
Phanteks Enthoo Pro SE
DunGoneNuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DunGoneNuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 10:58am
I can get the ASRock x470 Taichi Ultimate AMD Promontory for $230.00 US  Is this a good replacement board?

Thanks

Ryzen 9 5900X
ASRock X370 Taichi
G Skill F4-3200
MSI Armor 2070
MSI SPATIUM 1TB M2
WD 1TB M2
Crucial 500 SSD
Corsair AX860i PSU
Corsair H115Pro WB
Phanteks Enthoo Pro SE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DunGoneNuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 11:26am
Maybe I should try a MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC

I have nothing against ASRock but I wonder how well my MSI GeForce GTX 1080TI will do with a matching MSI motherboard.

Ryzen 9 5900X
ASRock X370 Taichi
G Skill F4-3200
MSI Armor 2070
MSI SPATIUM 1TB M2
WD 1TB M2
Crucial 500 SSD
Corsair AX860i PSU
Corsair H115Pro WB
Phanteks Enthoo Pro SE
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 2:36pm
Choosing a high end board comes down to needs/features. Generally you need to pick the board that gives you the most value for your money.

Between the Taichi and the Gaming M7 there does not appear to be much of a difference aesthetically (similar color scheme). That said, the Taichi appears to have a significantly more substantial power design, comes with 10 gigabit LAN and better VRM cooling. 

The Taichi ultimate is a top teir X470 board, the Gaming M7 is not in the same league just comparing specs. This is not me touting ASRock's product here either, just the simple facts.

As for the GPU, the board brand won't make any difference at all. The only time one might see a slight benefit is if the board manufacturer includes a "boost" feature when a particular brand GPU is installed and all this would be is a light overclock that can easily be achieved on any board. If memory serves ASRock did something like this when they partnered with Sapphire a while back, you would get a neat looking "ASRock + Sapphire" logo at post and I believe you could enable a "boost" feature for a slight overclock on the GPU. Picking a board brand to match your GPU is only useful if you are trying to brand theme your build so all the logos etc match, functionally, it serves no purpose.

In addition to all this, your X370 Taichi supported your RAM well (particularly for a first gen board) so the odds are good that the X470 Taichi will as well. The same is not necessarily true of another brand/model.

All this is just my 2c. I am a Taichi user myself and have not a bad word to say about the Taichi branded boards I have used, solid, reliable and packed with all the features I could want/need.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DunGoneNuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 11:04pm
Thank you for this information. I do like the Tachi X370 and I am having a hard time finding a good review of the Tachi X470.

ASRock has been good to me so far, MSI motherboards not so much.

Think I will stay with what I know works.

Thanks again.
Ryzen 9 5900X
ASRock X370 Taichi
G Skill F4-3200
MSI Armor 2070
MSI SPATIUM 1TB M2
WD 1TB M2
Crucial 500 SSD
Corsair AX860i PSU
Corsair H115Pro WB
Phanteks Enthoo Pro SE
 Post Reply Post Reply