ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't overclock i7-5775C on Z97 Extreme9

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 10:29pm
That worked! I have no TDPup or down option, but I can set the Turbo Boost Power Wattage and the Current Limit, which is exactly what I needed. Now I can see that the ASRock Settings do not actually work, so ASRock has to update their BIOS. Not sure if they are actually reading this though...
buyback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buyback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 4:26am
BTW same issue on Z97M Killer - only Intel XTU can raise the TDP to keep CPU from power throttling my Broadwell (I5 5675C)
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Galatian Galatian wrote:

That worked! I have no TDPup or down option, but I can set the Turbo Boost Power Wattage and the Current Limit, which is exactly what I needed. Now I can see that the ASRock Settings do not actually work, so ASRock has to update their BIOS. Not sure if they are actually reading this though...

Great, glad that worked for you. Thumbs Up

I don't know personally if the UEFI Power and Current Limit settings on your board for a Broadwell processor cannot be set beyond a certain level. I'm not saying you are wrong, I just don't have a Broadwell processor.

Just to be clear, you had set the Power and Current Limit settings in the UEFI to their maximum allowable values, and then found you could increase them beyond that in IXTU, right?

When you run IXTU from a cold start/boot of the PC, and have not changed those limits in IXTU, or applied an IXTU profile, you should be able to see what their values were set to in the UEFI. Do you recall what those were?

The maximum Power and Current Limit settings in the UEFI might be the Intel recommended max values for normal use of a Broadwell processor. While the these Broadwell 'C' processors can be over clocked, they are not a standard 'K' type processor.

The TDP of the Skylake i7-6700K and i5-6600K CPUs is 91W, vs the 65W of the i7-5775C. The unique feature of Broadwell processors is their TDP can be configured to a lower value than their stock maximum. That also tells us IMO that they are not a typical 'K' type processor.

Yes, IXTU lets you change the limits, but IXTU warns you that any OC is at your own risk. Perhaps ASRock does not want to risk damage to Broadwell processors, if users do so and then claim ASRock let them do that with UEFI settings.

I'm just trying to explain why the limit options in the UEFI have the maximum set lower than for 'K' processor. I'm not saying you are wrong... or right to be honest. Wink

Could you be more clear about which options "do not actually work", or are "broken"? Really meaning in what way do they not work, or are broken?

buyback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buyback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 1:26am
I know its unrelated to the OP motherboard but also lowering the TDP targets on v1.80 BIOS and Z97M Killer does not work (stays at the processors default Values on my i5-5675C)

XTU works both ways.
buyback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buyback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 5:05am
Bios 1.90 released today fixes this issue on my Z97M Killer.
TDP can now be set above (Asrock EZ OC sets this to 1000W shown in IXTU).
Also setting a lower TDP like 40 works in BIOS to lower the TDP and power throttling kicking in earlier as expected.

So all is well here now with the latest BIOS.
1.90 Also release for the OP Z97 Extreme 9 today - please try and report.

Due to the microcode update I also hope it will fix the low multiplier speedstep bugs present in Broadwell where it was crashing speed stepping on low load before sometimes.
Intel did release a microcode update for that and I just hope it was included here.

Finally the broadwell seems to work (also OC to 4.1 on all cores 1.25v is now stable for my 5675c where it was only 4.0 before)

Thanks Asrock
ps: still no EDRAM multiplier clock setting available like on gigabyte and MSI :)
Galatian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 2:44am
Nope that did not help me at all. Still having the same issue. I can see the default values of Broadwell (roughly 80W as Short Time Power Limit and 65W as Long Time Power Limit; the only thing that apparently does get changed is the Ampere limit).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic