ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reloading Windows 10 or Maybe Not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DunGoneNuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DunGoneNuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reloading Windows 10 or Maybe Not?
    Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 6:43am
Nary a whisper in all these days....

Anyways, I switched out the motherboards and not a glitch. Did not even go into BIOS. The system booted right up with not even a hick-up.

Did not even have to re-register with Microsoft for the Windows I have installed.

I have never ever ever ever switched out a motherboard with such simplicity that I was quite impressed.

Now we test for stability.

Ryzen 9 5900X
ASRock X370 Taichi
G Skill F4-3200
MSI Armor 2070
MSI SPATIUM 1TB M2
WD 1TB M2
Crucial 500 SSD
Corsair AX860i PSU
Corsair H115Pro WB
Phanteks Enthoo Pro SE
DunGoneNuts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DunGoneNuts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 10:14am
Hello again.

I am getting ready to upgrade my motherboard from an ASRock Taichi X370 to a ASRock Taichi Ultimate X470.

The motherboards are almost identical except for additions that the X470 has that are not on the X370 so there should be no hardware conflicts with these additional motherboard options.

So pretty much the only major difference is the X470 that will affect operations however, I suspect that as soon as the motherboard boots, it will automatically update drivers to the X470.

I used to change out motherboards, even different brand motherboards and save the Windows installation, but have not done this since Windows XP with SP3. In those cases, I just went into the registry and deleted the keys for all the motherboard hardware and the system reloaded with the new drivers with no issues as it fooled windows into thinking that it was a "first time startup". Another option was to use the following guide.

There was a guide that I followed from http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=77909774&m=1400925745 however it does not look like it has been updated since Windows XP circa 2007.

I know the general consensus will be to reload Windows 10 from scratch just to be sure, but I am interested to see if this can be done seeing as I am going from a "lower less advanced" motherboard to a "higher more advanced" motherboard. Although from what I have read, there is little difference between the X370 and the X470 operational wise. Of course I will do a complete partition backup using Acronis True Image (best that I have found so far) so I will have access to all my files if anything goes wrong and I do have to load from scratch. Just wondering if it is even doable and worth a try.....

Opinions and recommendations please. Mods can you please delete the link if not authorized.

Opinions and suggestions?
Ryzen 9 5900X
ASRock X370 Taichi
G Skill F4-3200
MSI Armor 2070
MSI SPATIUM 1TB M2
WD 1TB M2
Crucial 500 SSD
Corsair AX860i PSU
Corsair H115Pro WB
Phanteks Enthoo Pro SE
 Post Reply Post Reply