ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

890 FX Deluxe 4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myopticvision Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 890 FX Deluxe 4
    Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 7:07am
HI,

I have an AS Rock 890 FX Deluxe 4 motherboard. I want to update my processor to the AM3+ 8350
My board was built before the 8 core processor was made. The board specs look like it could work. I have updated the bios. It is still a great board. I have been running a 3 core 740 be with  8g of Gskill ripjaws 12800 ram.  All has run well with my 1000 watt power supply and good old MSI GTX 480 twin frozzer. I bought this board with the hopes of dropping a better processor in it. The spec say it will run a cpu up to 140 watts. The 8350 is 125 watts. I want to up the ram to 16g and figure on just buying 4 stick of 1866 ram for $100 just to put some punch to it. 

I have been having issues with Photoshop and Illustrator wigging out on me. Updating these components should give me a better set up. 

Is this going to work? 

Thanks,
Mmyopticvision 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 11:23am
My short answer is no, an FX-8350 won't work in your board.

Why? One main reason. Your ideas about why it could work are logical and not wrong, but there are other factors involved.

The main problem is the UEFI/BIOS does not have the appropriate CPU microcode to support FX-83xx processors Vishera/Piledriver processors. The AMD FX-81xx processors are Zambezi/Bulldozer processors with a different CPU microcode.

UEFI/BIOS updates add microcode for other processors, and I see some other 890FX boards can support the FX-8350, so there does not seem to be a chipset limitation.

Your board is supposed to support 140W processors, and does apparently have the same 8 + 2 VRM phase design as other ASRock 890FX boards that support the FX-8350.

I seem to be getting ASRock in trouble with this post, but unless I'm missing something, the only thing preventing the use of an FX-8350 in your board is an UEFI/BIOS update. Embarrassed
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 1:34pm
I am inclined to agree with you Parsec, the Deluxe 5 supports FX 83xx with it's latest BIOS update and if the differences between the 4 and 5 follow the same trend as other ASRock board series then the only difference between the 2 should be a few additional features on the Deluxe 5. Both boards have the same power delivery setup.

It looks to me like the Deluxe 4 was overlooked. Interestingly there is a beta BIOS dated 1/9/2012 that states "Modify code to support AM3+ CPU" which is about a month before support was added to the Deluxe 5. I would not go so far as saying that the beta BIOS added support for FX 83xx as it is not mentioned anywhere in the documentation but it is possible it may have.

Luckily, if the only thing preventing support is the BIOS then ASRock will probably be able to help you out with that. From what I have seen they are very good with making custom BIOS updates for their users. Just create a support ticket requesting a BIOS with support for the FX 8350 and they should get back to you. 
ASRock Expert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock Expert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2015 at 3:11am
With the 1.70A You should run fine the FX-X3XX series too.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/890FX%20Deluxe4/?cat=Beta

990FX Extreme 9 MOD P1.70
AMD FX 8120 4GHz 1.25V
Thermalright HR-02
Patriot Viper 2x4GB 2133MHz
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
MSI R7970 TFIII 3GB
CORSAIR VX550W
LanCool K62 Dragonlord
ASUS Xonar D2X
myopticvision View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myopticvision Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2015 at 4:16am
Thanks for the info.
I went with an 8150.  I already installed the latest bio for the board which was 170.a to update for the bulldozer / Zambezi core. Nice to know they would possibly right me a new bios. That pretty darn cool. My board is supposed be AM+3 compatible. Its a good thing I checked with this forum! I had to update the ram as well. The old Gskill was rated for higher speeds but is not compatible with newer ram modules. I just bought 16 gb of new stuff being that four sticks cost as much as those two sticks cost new. I think now I have boosted it to as high as it can go. 
Thanks!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic