ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overclocking default?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vulpie05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overclocking default?
    Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 7:05am
Hi,

Somewhat of a noob here, but familiar with PCs. I have just built the following:

-AMD Ryzen 3 2200G
-ASRock B450 Pro 4
-G.SKill Flare X 3200 16GB RAM.

I have Windows 10 installed, and everything seems to be running fine. I have installed Ryzen Master and HWinfo, and I am noticing that I am reaching clock speeds of about 3697.4 MHz. I know that is right at the listed maximum overclock for the CPU, but isn't this an "overclocked" speed? I know AMD lists the standard clock speed for the APU at 3.5 GHz.

What I am getting at is that I do not want to overclock this computer, at least until I have a better handle of what I am doing. I did not change anything in the bios, and overclocking appears to be the default, without any way to turn it off in OC Tweaker. Even when I change the clock speed to manual, and set it to 3500 MHz (with voltage left alone at 1.4), I am still registering speeds above 3.5 GHz in Windows.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction to keep the APU under control? I have flashed the bios to the latest version (1.8), and I was having this problem before and after the flash.

Thank you!
xhue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xhue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 9:09am
3700MHz is the max turbo freq. for 2200G. Your CPU is automatically set to reach this freq. when the conditions are right.

Also, therr is no XFR or PBO on Ryzen 3 models.

With all that said, just do a CMOS reset if you think you might screwed some BIOS setting(s), set the XMP profile for these sassy Flares and call it a day. Your APU is perfectly safr as it is. 3.7GHz is not an OC as 3.7GHz is the max designed speed of this particular model.
Vulpie05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vulpie05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2018 at 9:40am
I believe that the CPU is safe at 3.7, I am just wondering why AMD lists 3.5 as a base clock rate.
Vulpie05 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vulpie05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 1:03am
Ok, I have discovered how to turn off the boost in bios/uefi!

Go under:
Advanced -> AMD CBS -> Zen Common Options

There is "Core Performance Boost", which apparently is set to "Auto" by default. This is the state that I found it at. I switched it to "Disabled", and when I booted into Windows my CPU did not cross past 3.5 GHz.
Infante256 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Infante256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 1:47pm
Overclocking means pushing the frequency of computer components higher than its default frequency, making it faster and better performing. You can overclock major components of your computer, like CPUs, memory or graphics cards.
Infante256 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Infante256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Infante256 Infante256 wrote:

Overclocking means pushing the frequency of computer components higher than its default frequency, making it faster and better performing. You can overclock major components of your computer, like CPUs, memory or graphics cards.

Any suggestion? mybkexperience[URL=https://www.mybkexperience.xyz/www-mybkexperience-com/]mybkexperience[/URL]
Corinne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corinne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2019 at 7:07pm
Yes, Some settings require the PC to be powered off in order to change. Can I ask why you want to get rid of your overclock though? A slight overclock of 4.2GHz for the 4670k yields amazing results and is enough for it to flex its true muscles.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic